Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/6/11). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Supports Russell Thomas’ Research at the Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences". Santa Clara, CA & Research Triangle Park, NC.
|Region||Research Triangle Park, NC|
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, The|
|Product||6460 triple quadrupole LC/MS system (Agilent)|
|Product 2||biochip scanner|
|Index term||Hamner Institutes–Agilent: mass spectrometer, 201112– supply 6460 Triple Quadrupole LC/MS system as part of Agilent Thought Leader Award to RS Thomas|
|Person||Thomas, Russell S. (The Hamner Institutes 201112 Director of Institute for Chemical Safety Sciences)|
|Person 2||Salem, Gustavo (Gus) (IDEX 201605 Group President of IDEX Health & Science before Siscapa + Agilent + Assay Designs)|
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) and the Agilent Technologies Foundation today announced that Russell S. Thomas, Ph.D., of the Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences has been selected for an Agilent Thought Leader Award to support his work developing methods to predict drug-induced liver injury.
The award includes funding from the Agilent Technologies Foundation as well as instrumentation from the company, including a 6460 triple quadrupole LC/MS and an Agilent microarray scanner.
Dr. Thomas is director of the Institute for Chemical Safety Sciences at the Hamner, where researchers are applying a systems biology approach in an effort to predict drug-induced liver injury. This includes integration of data from transcriptomics, metabolomics, and genome-wide association studies.
Drug-induced liver injury is a primary reason regulators prohibit drugs or pull them off the market. One of the goals of Dr. Thomas' work is to eventually be able to identify patients with genetic susceptibility to liver damage from certain drugs. This could reduce injuries and even allow some previously banned drugs to be reintroduced.
"Drug-induced liver injury is a major problem in the development of safe and effective therapeutics," said Dr. Thomas. "Current analyses of the genome sequence data of patients that have experienced drug-induced liver injury have failed to identify any susceptibility factors that are common across multiple drugs. I am grateful to receive the Agilent Thought Leader Award as an acknowledgment of the importance of the work we are conducting at the Hamner Institutes. The award will allow us to evaluate whether these susceptibility factors can be identified when the drugs are grouped based on the signaling pathways they activate in the liver and ultimately predict which patients may be at risk."
"The promise of personalized medicine is getting closer every day, and this is why we appreciate the opportunity to help make a real difference by supporting work like Dr. Thomas'," said Gustavo Salem, vice president and general manager of Agilent's Biological Systems Division. "We've been strong proponents of an integrated biology approach to solving important health problems for quite some time, and this research at the Hamner aligns well with Agilent's goals."
The Agilent Thought Leader Program promotes fundamental advances in the life sciences by contributing financial support, products and expertise to the research of thought leaders.
About The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences
The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences is a nonprofit research organization located in the heart of Research Triangle Park, N.C. The two flagship institutes at the Hamner, the Institute for Chemical Safety Sciences and the Hamner-UNC Institute for Drug Safety Sciences, build upon 37 years of preeminent research in toxicology and human health research to develop and validate new cutting-edge tools for safety assessment. The Hamner continues to grow its open, multidisciplinary campus through global partnerships with academia, industry and government, and remains dedicated to positively impacting human health. For more information, please visit http://www.thehamner.org.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications. The company's 18,700 employees serve customers in more than 100 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $6.6 billion in fiscal 2011. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
# # #
For images related to this press release,
please visit the ImageLibrary (Image #199)
Stuart Matlow, Agilent
+1 408 553 7191
Erin Smith, MMI Public Relations for the Hamner Institutes
+1 919 233 6600
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]