Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (5/14/10). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Completes Acquisition of Varian, Inc., Marking Historic Milestone for Two Silicon Valley Pioneers. Combined Strenghts Position Agilent for Leadership". Santa Clara, CA.
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced that its acquisition of scientific-equipment maker Varian, Inc. is now final, positioning Agilent as a leading provider of analytical instrumentation to the applied and life sciences markets. Agilent paid approximately $1.5 billion in cash for Varian in a deal that brings together two Silicon Valley pioneers.
Bill Sullivan, Agilent president and CEO, said, "The Varian acquisition -- the largest in our company's history -- furthers our evolution toward becoming a global leader in bio-analytical measurement. We're gaining tremendous talent and technology. And for our customers, this will mean a broader span of expertise, applications and products from one trusted company."
The majority of Varian's product lines will report into Agilent's Chemical Analysis Group (CAG), while some key businesses will be housed within Agilent's Life Sciences Group (LSG).
"This strengthens our leading position in the chemical analysis market," said Mike McMullen, Agilent senior vice president and president of CAG. "The acquisition is a key strategic move for us in the chemical analysis arena, and will serve to fuel our growth trajectory and provide more value to our customers. We will also add a new vacuum technologies business to Agilent, which will continue to operate as a standalone business unit within Agilent."
McMullen added, "Varian's products and applications expertise complement our offerings by providing a more complete spectroscopy, consumables and services portfolio to our customers."
A significant new business Agilent gains through the acquisition is Research Products (including NMR, or nuclear magnetic resonance, MRI and X-ray), which will reside in LSG.
"These technology platforms will open new doors for Agilent and its customers," said Nick Roelofs, Agilent senior vice president and president of LSG. "This technology will play a key role in Agilent's growth through applications such as pharmaceutical and therapeutics.
"In addition, Agilent can build on its expertise as the worldwide leader in radio frequency [RF] and electromagnetic transmit-and-receive technology by being the first to bring that expertise to the field of magnetic resonance," he said.
Agilent and Varian announced they had signed a definitive agreement for the acquisition on July 27, 2009.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications. The company's 16,000 employees serve customers in more than 110 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $4.5 billion in fiscal 2009. Information about Agilent is available on the Web at www.agilent.com.
# # #
Amy Flores, Corporate
+1 650 283-2413 (mobile)
+1 408 345 8194
Eric Endicott, Life Sciences and Chemical Analysis
+1 408 623-2777 (mobile)
+1 408 553 2005
+1 408 345 8948
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]