Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (2/27/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies CTO Darlene Solomon Elected to National Academy of Engineering". Santa Clara, CA.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Product 2||microfluidics technology|
|Person||Solomon, Darlene (Agilent 201011 CTO)|
|Person 2||McMullen, Mike (Agilent 201409– COO + designated CEO for 3/15 before SVP + President Chemical Analysis Group)|
Solomon honored for her leadership in developing nucleic-acid and microfluidic products
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced that Dr. Darlene Solomon, Agilent senior vice president and chief technology officer, has been elected to the National Academy of Engineering — considered among the highest professional distinctions accorded to an engineer or technologist.
Solomon was elected for her "leadership in the development of innovative nucleic-acid and microfluidic products," the academy said. These are foundational innovations, developed by scientists and engineers in Agilent Laboratories, that contribute to Agilent products at the leading edge of biomolecular research – especially toward the advancement of precision medicine.
NAE is an independent, nonprofit institution that advises the federal government on issues related to engineering and technology. Founded in 1964, it elects as members those who have made outstanding contributions to engineering research, practice or education.
"NAE is the world's pre-eminent society of engineers, and becoming a member selected by one's peers is a very special recognition of contribution," Solomon said. "I am deeply honored to be part of this distinguished academy. I am also grateful to Agilent for its vision that includes the strength of pairing science and engineering principles in ways that help improve lives."
Solomon's responsibilities include Agilent Labs, with a focus on life sciences and diagnostics; University Relations; and the Early Stage Partnership Program. She works closely with Agilent CEO Mike McMullen as a member of the executive staff, and with Agilent's businesses to define the company's technology strategy and R&D priorities.
McMullen offered his congratulations, praising Solomon as "an excellent choice" for NAE membership.
"She is a true visionary who understands the power of science built on engineering fundamentals," McMullen said.
Solomon and the other newly elected members will be formally inducted during a ceremony at the NAE's annual meeting in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 8.
About Darlene Solomon
Darlene Solomon, Ph.D.
Senior Vice President, Agilent
Chief Technology Officer
Darlene Solomon is senior vice president and chief technology officer for Agilent Technologies. She leads Agilent Labs with a focus on life sciences and diagnostics, and she manages the company's university relations, corporate library and external venture investments. In her leadership role, she works closely with Agilent's businesses to define the company's technology strategy and R&D priorities.
Solomon brings extensive experience in R&D and management to her current leadership role at Agilent. She joined Hewlett-Packard Laboratories in 1984 as a member of the technical staff, subsequently holding a variety of research and management positions there, including R&D manager for the Chemical and Biological Systems Department. She joined Agilent when the company was formed in 1999 with a dual role as director of the Life Sciences Technologies Laboratory within Agilent Laboratories and as senior director, research and development/technology, for Agilent's Life Sciences and Chemical Analysis business. Prior to being named to her current post, Solomon was vice president and director of Agilent Laboratories.
Solomon received her bachelor's degree in chemistry from Stanford University and a doctorate in bioinorganic chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and she completed Stanford University's Executive Development Program. In recognition of her career accomplishments, Solomon was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 2017. She was also inducted into the Women in Technology International's Hall of Fame in 2001, received the YWCA Tribute to Women and Industry Award in 2004, and was named to Diversity Journal's Women Worth Watching in 2007 and Corporate Board Member's 50 Top Women in Technology in 2008.
Solomon serves on multiple academic and government advisory and review boards, including current and past appointments to the National Academies' Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology, Visiting Committee on Advanced Technology of the National Institutes of Standards and Technology (2010-16), Stanford University Interdisciplinary Biosciences Advisory Council, UC Berkeley's College of Engineering, Bay Area Science and Innovation Consortium (BASIC), and A-STAR Board for Singapore Economic Development (2004-10).
Download Darlene Solomon's biography in Word format.
[ http://www.agilent.com/about/companyinfo/execs/bios/solomon.doc ]
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A), a global leader in life sciences, diagnostics and applied chemical markets, is the premier laboratory partner for a better world. Agilent works with customers in more than 100 countries, providing instruments, software, services and consumables for the entire laboratory workflow. Agilent generated revenue of $4.20 billion in fiscal 2016. The company employs about 12,500 people worldwide. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
# # #
+1 408 553 2005
+45 29 33 69 80
Record changed: 2017-03-08
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/20/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Hires Samraat »Sam« Raha to Head Strategy and Corporate Development". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/15/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Board of Directors Elects Koh Boon Hwee as New Chairman". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/15/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Announces Cash Dividend of 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/8/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Launches New Research-grade Triple Quadrupole LC/MS System ". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/7/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Extends Biopharma Portfolio with Advanced Mass Spec System". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/2/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Introduces Postnatal Assay for Detection of Genetic Anomalies. GenetiSure Dx Postnatal Assay Can Help Move Inquiries from Cause to Care Faster". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (2/23/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Announces Webcasts for Investment Community". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (2/21/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Receives Dow's Western Canada Science and Technical Excellence Conference Awards (WesTEC) for Technical Excellence and Innovation". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (2/14/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports First-Quarter 2017 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/31/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Dako’s CE Marked PD-L1 IHC 22C3 pharmDx Companion Diagnostics". Carpinteria, CA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]