Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/18/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Extends Collaboration on Reproductive Genetics". Santa Clara, CA.
|Organisation||K.U. Leuven (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven) (BE)|
|Product 2||OneSight software platform|
|Person||Verrelst, Herman (Agilent 201602 VP + General Manager Genomics Division before Cartagenia CEO)|
New Two-Year Agreement with Belgian University to Focus on Detecting Genetic Abnormalities in Cell-free DNA and Embryo Biopsies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced that it is extending its collaboration with the Centre for Human Genetics of the University of Leuven and the University Hospital of Leuven in Belgium. Joris Vermeesch, chair of the Centre for Human Genetics and a leading expert in human genetics, will coordinate the collaboration.
The earlier collaboration preceded the commercial launch of Agilent's OneSight software platform, which helps researchers visualize and explore chromosomal and sub-chromosomal aneuploidies in cell-free DNA sequencing data. Over the past few years, interest in cell-free DNA analysis has strongly increased, not only because it can be used to perform non-invasive prenatal testing, but also because cfDNA can be found in liquid biopsies from cancer patients. In addition, recent evidence suggests that cfDNA can be found in an embryo's blastocoel fluid and culture medium and used for preimplantation genetic screening.
The two teams are also investigating comprehensive solutions for preimplantation genetic testing, which could enable labs to use a single sequencing workflow to perform preimplantation genetic diagnoses for single gene disorders and translocation carriers as well as PGS for chromosomal abnormalities on the same embryo biopsy. The PGT development efforts are also supported by a grant from the Flemish government.
The collaborators estimate that a commercial solution for PGT analysis could be ready as early as this year, followed by a more extensive evaluation of the clinical utility of the PGT solution to discriminate between mitotic and meiotic aneuploidies and detect triploidy and uniparental isodisomy in embryo biopsies. These chromosomal abnormalities cannot be accurately detected by the currently available commercial solutions for PGS. It is the ultimate goal to enable the IVF community to reduce the number of IVF cycles and time that are needed to achieve a healthy live birth. If confirmed, the reduction in cost and time might then be the main drivers to obtain reimbursement with the corresponding authorities.
"Agilent is very excited to extend our collaboration with Prof. Vermeesch, with whom we've had a close partnership for the past two years. This is a unique and excellent example of a government-industry-academia partnership designed to translate innovative research into commercial solutions that address unmet needs in the human reproductive genetics space," said Herman Verrelst, Agilent vice president and general manager of the company's Genomics Division.
Joris Vermeesch, chair of the Centre for Human Genetics, added, "During the last ten years the laboratory has been developing innovative approaches to analyze single cells, embryos and cell-free DNA. The collaboration with Agilent allows us to make the products user-friendly, speed up the clinical implementation, and reach out worldwide."
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A), a global leader in life sciences, diagnostics and applied chemical markets, is the premier laboratory partner for a better world. Agilent works with customers in more than 100 countries, providing instruments, software, services and consumables for the entire laboratory workflow. The company generated revenues of $4.20 billion in fiscal 2016 and employs about 12,500 people worldwide. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
# # #
+1 408 553 2005
+45 2933 6980
Record changed: 2017-01-26
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/31/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Dako’s CE Marked PD-L1 IHC 22C3 pharmDx Companion Diagnostics". Carpinteria, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEO Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Water-quality Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]