Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (3/26/12). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) Announce Support for Life Science Research Projects at Two Universities in Brazil". Santa Clara, CA.
|Region||São Paulo (region)|
|Organisation||São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP)|
|Product 2||analytical instrument|
|Person||McMullen, Mike (Agilent 201409– COO + designated CEO for 3/15 before SVP + President Chemical Analysis Group)|
Projects Will Support Research in Metabolomics and Integrated Biology of Plants and Bacteria at University of São Paulo (USP) and State University of Campinas (UNICAMP)
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE:A) and FAPESP, the São Paulo Research Foundation, have announced the selection of two jointly funded research projects. FAPESP, the principal funding agency for academic research in the State of São Paulo, and Agilent are working together through the Partnership for Technological Innovation to further multinational collaboration and promote academic research in São Paulo.
The two projects, approved following a joint call for submissions, will provide financial support to advance instrumentation and measurement techniques related to metabolomics in plant microbiology, mass spectrometry and bioenergy. Launched in October 2011, the call for submissions aims to identify, select and support world-class research projects to create knowledge and communicate results in the international scientific community. This will be done through close technical collaboration between leading faculty members in the State of São Paulo and Agilent researchers.
One of the approved projects will involve the systematic study of the metabolites resulting from cellular processes under specific environmental and physiological conditions, specifically a study of the physiological response of Eucalyptus in the presence of high CO2 concentrations and temperature variations.
The second study will identify volatile compounds produced by Brazilian cyanobacteria and explore their effects on other organisms in the ecosystem.
"Agilent's partnership with FAPESP underscores our commitment to multinational research and to Brazil, a strategic growth area for us," said Mike McMullen, president of Agilent's Chemical Analysis Group. "We look forward to our collaboration with leading researchers at the University of São Paulo and State University of Campinas and the resulting advances in fundamental understanding of important plants and microbes indigenous to Brazil."
The ultimate goal of these and any future projects is to create new scientific knowledge of interest to the wider academic community. Approved projects will run for up to 36 months.
FAPESP, one of Brazil's biggest investors in science and technology, is maintained by transferring 1 percent of the tax revenues collected by the State of São Paulo. In 2011, FAPESP spent 983 million BRL supporting research projects. Approximately one-third of its annual expenditure is focused on scholarships to train researchers. Over 50 percent is spent on academic research and 10 percent is invested in research at small companies or in partnerships between the university and companies, and to subsidize the formulation of public policies.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications. The company's 18,700 employees serve customers in more than 100 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $6.6 billion in fiscal 2011. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
# # #
+1 408 345 8194
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]