Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (5/24/10). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Introduces Triple Quadrupole LC/MS System Delivering Breakthrough Tenfold Sensitivity Increase. Proprietary iFunnel Technology Lowers Limit of Detection to Zeptomole Level". Salt
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Product||6490 iFunnel Triple Quadrupole LC/MS system (Agilent)|
|Product 2||iFunnel technology|
|Person||Fjeldsted, John (Agilent 200906 LC/MS RnD Director)|
|Person 2||Matlow, Stuart (Stu) (Thermo Fisher 201206 Public Relations Manager Chromatography + Mass Spectrometry before Agilent)|
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced the 6490 Triple Quadrupole LC/MS System with iFunnel technology. iFunnel technology revolutionizes the process of atmospheric pressure ion sampling, driving huge sensitivity gains for most applications. The new system has a 25 percent smaller footprint than previous models, while boasting a sensitivity specification that is 10 times higher.
iFunnel technology relies on Agilent Jet Stream technology thermal gradient focusing to create a high abundance of accessible gas phase ions. These ions are then drawn into the mass spectrometer through a Hexabore Capillary sampling array, six parallel capillaries that accept nearly 12 times more ion-rich atmospheric gas than previous systems. The ions are focused and separated from the gas by a Dual Ion Funnel assembly. The first high-pressure funnel removes most of the gas and focuses the ions into the second low-pressure funnel, which removes the remainder of the gas so that the ions can enter the Q1 optics.
"Triple quads are considered mature technology, yet we have been able to consistently improve their performance with a succession of product introductions over the past 4 years," said John Fjeldsted, general manager of Agilent's LC/MS business. "It is not very often that you can take a huge step forward as we are this year with the iFunnel technology. It establishes a whole new paradigm for atmospheric ion sampling."
In addition to iFunnel technology, the instrument also has a new curved, tapered collision cell. This device allows a compact system design and reduces noise to help improve overall sensitivity.
Combined with the 1290 Infinity LC system, the 1290/6490 system with MassHunter software delivers the highest available level of quantitative analytical LC/MS performance. The 6490 is the fourth triple quadrupole product introduced by Agilent in the past four years and joins the 6410, 6430 and 6460 Triple Quad systems to create a portfolio that can meet the needs of any application or budget.
The innovative 6490 ushers in a new frontier of application possibilities with the ability to detect molecules at the zeptomole (10-21 mole) level--a level of sensitivity that has only been realized by expensive accelerator mass spectrometry systems in the past. The iFunnel technology also enables an unprecedented linear dynamic range that extends to six orders of magnitude for many compounds.
This level of sensitivity is particularly useful for environmental applications where parts-per-trillion sensitivity often is required. Other high-sensitivity applications include the pharmaceutical arena with needs such as microdosing, detection of inhaled drugs, and dried blood spot analysis. Routine access to such high sensitivity creates new opportunities for clinical, food safety and protein/peptide quantification, and improves general assay robustness and/or streamline sample preparation.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in communications, electronics, life sciences and chemical analysis. The company's 16,000 employees serve customers in more than 110 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $4.5 billion in fiscal 2009. Information about Agilent is available on the Web at www.agilent.com.
# # #
For images related to this press release, please visit the ImageLibrary (Image #144)
+1 408 553 7191
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]