Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (6/14/11). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Develops Method to Quickly and Accurately Measure Radioactive Elements Using ICP-MS. Japan’s Gakushuin University First to Implement". Santa Clara, CA.
|Product||7700 Series Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometer (ICP-MS) (Agilent)|
|Product 2||mass spectrometry (MS)|
|Person||Suzuki, Ken (Agilent 201106 ICP-MS Marketing Manager)|
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced it has developed a new method to identify radioactive iodine using inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). The method will first be used by Gakushuin University in Japan, with a donated Agilent 7700 ICP-MS System.
Testing will be performed in the lab of Dr. Yasuyuki Muramatsu, a renowned expert on radiation in the environment. Dr. Muramatsu, a professor in the university's chemistry department, was recently appointed by the Fukushima Prefecture to assess the effect of radiation on local farms after the area's nuclear power plant was damaged by the recent earthquake and tsunami.
Dr. Muramatsu's lab measures ultra-trace levels of radioactive elements, including iodine isotopes 129, 131 and 127, as well as trace elements such as Cs and Sr, which are relevant to radioisotopes released from the reactor into the environment.
"Radioactive iodine-129 is of particular interest because of its long half-life," said Dr. Muramatsu. "Monitoring its levels will be important for the safety assessment of radioiodine deposited in the environment."
This nuclide is released continuously into the environment as a result of activities such as nuclear weapons tests, accidents at nuclear power plants and emissions from spent nuclear fuel reprocessing plants.
"The application requires a high-energy oxygen collision/reaction cell step made possible on the Agilent 7700 ICP-MS," said Ken Suzuki, ICP-MS marketing manager at Agilent. "While there are other measurement techniques and instruments, including other ICP-MS systems, we believe the measurement of 129I using our method is the fastest, most accurate and lowest-cost."
Since the earthquake on March 11, Agilent and the Agilent Technologies Foundation have contributed over $850,000 in donations and equipment to help with the disaster response.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications. The company's 18,500 employees serve customers in more than 100 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $5.4 billion in fiscal 2010. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
# # #
+1 408 553 2005
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]