Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/16/12). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Replaces Signal-to-Noise Spec with Instrument Detection Limit for Triple Quadrupole GC/MS. S/N Spec Not Useful at Very Low Noise Levels". Santa Clara, CA.
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced that it is replacing the signal-to-noise specification with a new instrument detection limit specification for its 7000B triple quadrupole gas chromatography/mass spectrometry system.
"Twenty or even 10 years ago, signal-to-noise was a reasonable indicator of GC/MS performance," said Terry Sheehan, Ph.D., Agilent GC/MS marketing manager, " but GC/MS/MS baseline noise for simple standards is often too low and too inconsistent to be meaningful. Selection of different baseline segments can change the signal-to-noise ratio by five or even tenfold. Our new specification, the instrument detection limit, is based on the system's precision, and precision directly correlates with ion count - the real measure of MS sensitivity."
Agilent considers IDL a better measure of GC/MS/MS performance because it follows the guidelines of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, the United States Environmental Protection Agency and many other organizations.
IDL calculates typical performance from a series of automated injections for an accurate view of system performance. The well-established Student's t-test is applied to eight consecutive injections of 100 fg OFN using a 99 percent confidence interval. Additionally, the IDL specification confirms the performance of every component in the GC/MS/MS system, from the autosampler through the detector.
The IDL specification of the Agilent 7000B GC/MS/MS system in EI mode is 12 fg OFN.
"Dividing the MS signal of OFN standards by a noise value approaching zero gives a signal-to-noise ratio in the thousands, but that has no correlation to the system's true performance," Sheehan said. "It is time for ultra-low noise MS systems to use statistical detection criteria that are similar to the statistics that MS operators use for their methods.".
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications. The company's 18,700 employees serve customers in more than 100 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $6.6 billion in fiscal 2011. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
# # #
+1 408 553 7191
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]