Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/5/11). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Scientist Dr. Alexander Makarov Receives Inaugural HUPO Science and Technology Award". Geneva.
|Region||Genève (Geneva) GE|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific (Bremen) GmbH|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||HUPO (Human Proteome Organisation)|
|Product 2||LTQ Orbitrap™ mass spectrometer|
|Person||Makarov, Alexander A. (Thermo Fisher 200607– Director Global Research LS Mass Spec before Masslab Ltd + HD Technologies)|
|Person 2||Herrema, Greg (Thermo Fisher 200703 President Scientific Instruments)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that Dr. Alexander Makarov, its director of global research for life sciences mass spectrometry, has received the first HUPO Science and Technology Award from the Human Proteome Organization (HUPO). The award, which honors Dr. Makarov's principal role in developing the Orbitrap mass analyzer, will be presented on September 7 at the HUPO 2011 10th World Congress in Geneva, Switzerland.
Dr. Makarov, who has authored more than 40 papers and holds more than 40 patents worldwide, first presented the Orbitrap mass analyzer in a paper published in 2000. The Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap hybrid mass spectrometer, introduced in 2005, was the first commercial mass spectrometer to be based on this new type of mass analyzer. Orbitrap-based mass spectrometers offer performance that was previously only available from larger, more expensive, difficult-to-operate and less reliable Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance (FT-ICR) mass spectrometers, enabling more widespread use of ultra-high resolution and high mass accuracy instrumentation.
Orbitrap mass spectrometers have quickly become essential tools in many fields, and have enabled breakthroughs in proteomics, the large-scale study of proteins, their structures and their functions within biological systems. Only six years after commercial introduction, Orbitrap mass spectrometers are found in leading proteomics laboratories worldwide. They are used to identify both intact and enzymatically digested proteins, find proteins that have undergone chemical modification and identify the type and location of modification, all essential to the understanding of biological systems. Orbitrap mass spectrometers have been referenced in hundreds of articles in scientific journals.
"We are extremely pleased to see Alexander receive this award, and we are grateful to HUPO for recognizing him in this way." said Greg Herrema, senior vice president and president, analytical instruments group, Thermo Fisher Scientific. "We are proud of the contributions that Orbitrap mass spectrometers have made to scientific knowledge in proteomics, metabolomics, metabolism and many other fields, and Alexander continues to play an important role in the advancement of Orbitrap technology."
In June of this year, Thermo Fisher introduced several new Orbitrap-based mass spectrometers at the 59th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics in Denver, Colorado. The Thermo Scientific Orbitrap Elite hybrid mass spectrometer features a next-generation, high-field Orbitrap mass analyzer that is smaller than its predecessor yet provides dramatically higher performance. The Thermo Scientific Q Exactive mass spectrometer is the first hybrid mass spectrometer to pair a transmission quadrupole mass analyzer with an Orbitrap mass analyzer. Both instruments are being shown this week at the HUPO World Congress as part of Thermo Fisher's Comprehensive Proteomics and Protein Quanfirmation workflows, respectively.
For more information about Orbitrap technology and Orbitrap-based mass spectrometers, please call 1-800-532-4752, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.planetorbitrap.com.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of nearly $11 billion, we have approximately 37,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact Information:
Name: Laura Browne
Phone: +44 1477 539539
Secondary Contact Information:
+1 (408) 965-6022
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]