Document › Details
Bruker Corporation. (11/2/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT) Assays and Syndromic Panel Technology to Expand its MALDI Biotyper Platform". Billerica.
|Country||United Kingdom (GB)|
|Organisation||Bruker Corporation (Nasdaq: BRKR)|
|Group||Bruker Corporation (Group)|
|Organisation 2||NN (NO NAME)|
|Product||PCR test (clinical diagnostics)|
|Product 2||MALDI Biotyper system|
|Index term||Bruker Corp–NN: nucleic acid diagnostics, 201611 acquisition €na of NAT assays + PCR techn assets in Glasgow for MALDI Biotyper platform|
|Person||Pusch, Wolfgang (Bruker Daltonics 200905 VP Clinical Research + IVD Business)|
|Person 2||Minkova, Miroslava (Bruker Corp 201611 Head of Investor Relations)|
Bruker today announced a technology acquisition in support of its microbiology business and its world-leading MALDI Biotyper microbial identification platform. Financial details were not disclosed.
Bruker has acquired selected assets in Glasgow, UK for the development, validation and commercialization of molecular assays for applications in microbiology. Bruker has acquired laboratory infrastructure and IP in the NAT assay field, including real-time PCR assays for microbiology. In parallel, Bruker has hired an experienced R&D, operations and commercial team in Glasgow to drive PCR-based syndromic panel development for Bruker's MALDI Biotyper platform.
The MALDI Biotyper offers fast, highly accurate and cost-efficient microbial identification with exceptionally broad species coverage, based on proteomic fingerprinting. Molecular multiplex and syndromic panel testing is another growing field in clinical microbiology. When a rapid, targeted answer is required without prior microbial cultivation, multiplex PCR assays for the identification of selected bacterial, fungal and viral species, and for the fast detection of resistance genes, are highly complementary to broad-coverage, untargeted proteomic identification from isolates after overnight culture. Such proteomic assays and NAT assays are expected to be both performed on the same MALDI Biotyper platform. Applications for targeted multiplex PCR assays arise in early screening, confirmation testing and broader syndromic testing.
Dr. Wolfgang Pusch, Executive Vice President for Clinical MALDI Solutions at Bruker Daltonics, commented: "In addition to conventional, targeted real-time PCR assays, Bruker sees further advantages in combining multiplexed syndromic PCR assays with a read-out on the MALDI Biotyper platform. Bruker intends to validate and launch the real-time PCR assays which have been acquired, and develop new multiplex PCR panels on the MALDI Biotyper platform in order to expand its assay menu to rapid targeted bacterial, fungal and viral identification, to fast antibiotic resistance testing, as well as to syndromic panels. With over 2,000 MALDI Biotypers already installed worldwide for fast, highly accurate and untargeted microbial identification, we are excited to bring new NAT multiplex assay and syndromic panel capabilities to our customers over time."
About the Bruker MALDI Biotyper
The MALDI Biotyper family of systems enables molecular identification, and taxonomical classification or de-replication of microorganisms like bacteria, yeasts and fungi. Classification and identification of microorganisms is achieved reliably and quickly using proteomic fingerprinting by high-throughput MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. The MALDI Biotyper uses proteomic fingerprints from bacterial strains for identification. Published studies have highlighted the greater accuracy, broader coverage and lower cost offered, as well as faster time-to-result (TTR).
Applications of the MALDI Biotyper platform include clinical routine microbial identification, environmental and pharmaceutical analysis, taxonomical research, food and consumer product safety and quality control, as well as marine microbiology. In many European and international laboratories the MALDI Biotyper has replaced classical biochemical testing for bacterial identification due to its accuracy, speed, extensive species coverage, ease of use and cost effectiveness. Classical biochemical techniques detect different metabolic properties of microorganisms, can take many hours or even days for completion, and often lack specificity.
The robust MALDI Biotyper workflow requires minimal sample preparation and offers low consumables cost. The products of the MALDI Biotyper family are available in a research-use-only (RUO) version, as the U.S. FDA-cleared MALDI Biotyper CA System, or in an IVD-CE version according to EU directive EC/98/79. The MALDI Biotyper also has medical device registrations in numerous other countries. RUO versions of the MALDI Biotyper allow selected high-value antimicrobial resistance tests in translational research, and subtyping capabilities.
About Bruker Corporation (NASDAQ: BRKR)
For more than 50 years, Bruker has enabled scientists to make breakthrough discoveries and develop new applications that improve the quality of human life. Bruker's high-performance scientific research instruments and high-value analytical and diagnostic solutions enable customers to explore life and materials at molecular, cellular and microscopic levels.
In close cooperation with our customers, Bruker is enabling innovation, productivity and customer success in life science molecular research, in applied and pharma applications, in microscopy, nano-analysis and industrial applications, as well as in cell biology, preclinical imaging, clinical research, microbiology and molecular diagnostics. For more information, please visit www.bruker.com.
Head of Investor Relations
T: +1 (978) 663–3660, ext. 1479
Dr. Winfried Busch
Bruker Daltonics Microbiology Business
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160411/353805LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bruker-announces-acquisition-of-nucleic-acid-testing-nat-assays-and-syndromic-panel-technology-to-expand-its-maldi-biotyper-platform-300356059.html
SOURCE Bruker Corporation
Record changed: 2016-12-23
More documents for Bruker Corporation (Group)
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of CMO InVivo Biotech to Expand Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Pathology Consumables and Assay Business". Berlin....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of SCiLS GmbH to Advance MALDI Imaging Software Solutions for Life Science, Pharma and Pathology Research Applications". Bremen....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Bruker Corporation to Present at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Billerica....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bruker Delivering 300 Hand-held Chemical Detectors to German BBK". Leipzig....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/16/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of Active Spectrum Micro-ESR Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/2/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Corporate Partnership with International Phenome Centre Network (IPCN) for NMR Technologies and SOPs". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Bruker AXS Introduces a New Member to the D8 ADVANCE Family — the D8 ADVANCE Plus". Boston, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Bruker Completes Acquisition of Preclinical PET Imaging Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Bruker and Oxford Instruments Announce Acquisition of Oxford Instruments Superconducting Wire Business by Bruker's BEST Segment". Billerica, MA & Tubney Woods....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Cetim Facility Receives Bruker Contour CMM Dimensional Analysis System". San José, CA & Senlis....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]