Document › Details
Bruker Daltonics. (5/18/09). "Press Release: Bruker Announces U.S. Collaborations for the Clinical Validation of Rapid Highly Specific and Low-Cost Microbial Identification by Proteomic Fingerprinting Using its MALDI Biotyper". Philadelphia.
|Organisation||Bruker Daltonics (Operating Business of Bruker Corporation)|
|Group||Bruker Corporation (Group)|
|Product||MALDI Biotyper system|
At the 109th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Bruker Daltonics announced collaborations in the United States for the clinical validation of its MALDI Biotyper workflow for microorganism identification. The MALDI Biotyper has recently obtained the IVD-CE Mark, and is currently for Research Use Only (RUO) outside of the European Union.
The MALDI Biotyper is a rapid, mass spectrometry based platform for identifying bacteria, yeasts and fungi. A high-quality, well-curated database with entries from over 3,000 strains cover approximately 2,000 well-characterized microbial species. Starting from a cultured colony, the identification is performed by matching the measured protein fingerprint against the proprietary MALDI Biotyper database. Including the database search, the automatic identification is performed in minutes, multiple colonies can be spotted on a single target, and about 30-60 identifications an hour can be performed for high throughput. The MALDI Biotyper specificity of identification is very high and comparable to DNA sequencing, false positive rates are near zero, mass spectrometry experience is not required and the consumables cost per sample is very low.
In Europe, Bruker has installed over 40 MALDI Biotyper instruments in routine laboratories for clinical microbiology, and the MALDI Biotyper is rapidly becoming a new standard for robust, rapid microbial identification. Recently, in the United States several collaborations have been initiated to validate the MALDI Biotyper for clinical usage. The Microbiology Service of the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, MD has performed extensive studies using the MALDI Biotyper for identification of yeasts and bacteria. Their tests have shown advantages in cost, speed, and accuracy compared with conventional biochemical testing and gene sequencing, methods routinely used in their lab. The collaboration with the NIH group is currently focused on expanding the database for identification of mycobacteria, nocardia and filamentous yeasts.
In addition, larger scale clinical research studies are also underway at the microbiology departments of two major U.S. medical school hospitals, and results from those studies are expected in 2009.
ABOUT BRUKER DALTONICS
For more information about Bruker Daltonics and Bruker Corporation (NASDAQ: BRKR), please visit www.bdal.com and www.bruker.com.
Darwin Asa, Ph.D., +1 978-663-3660, ext. 1149
Life-Science Marketing Manager,
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Bruker Corporation (Group)
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of CMO InVivo Biotech to Expand Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Pathology Consumables and Assay Business". Berlin....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of SCiLS GmbH to Advance MALDI Imaging Software Solutions for Life Science, Pharma and Pathology Research Applications". Bremen....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Bruker Corporation to Present at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Billerica....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bruker Delivering 300 Hand-held Chemical Detectors to German BBK". Leipzig....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/16/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of Active Spectrum Micro-ESR Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/2/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Corporate Partnership with International Phenome Centre Network (IPCN) for NMR Technologies and SOPs". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Bruker AXS Introduces a New Member to the D8 ADVANCE Family — the D8 ADVANCE Plus". Boston, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Bruker Completes Acquisition of Preclinical PET Imaging Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Bruker and Oxford Instruments Announce Acquisition of Oxford Instruments Superconducting Wire Business by Bruker's BEST Segment". Billerica, MA & Tubney Woods....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Cetim Facility Receives Bruker Contour CMM Dimensional Analysis System". San José, CA & Senlis....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]