Document › Details
Bruker Corporation. (6/18/12). "Press Release: Bruker and JMI Laboratories Announce a Collaboration for Mass Spectrometry-based Microbial Identification of Fungi". San Francisco, CA.
At the 112th General Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology (ASM) in San Francisco, Bruker announces a new collaboration with JMI Laboratories in the field of fungal identification by proteomics fingerprinting. JMI Laboratories is applying the Bruker MALDI Biotyper™ to a wide variety of international antimicrobial resistance surveillance studies utilizing the SENTRY Program platform (>300 sites in more than 40 countries and six continents). Among these programs, comprehensive sampling of invasive fungal infections involves nearly 2,000 samples of yeast and moulds, each requiring the highest quality of identifications, and currently requiring gene amplification and sequencing. The Bruker MALDI Biotyper will streamline reference-quality identifications via its rapidly evolving library of clinically important fungi.
Invasive fungal infections are associated with high morbidity and mortality while prompt diagnosis can result in more optimized therapy reducing both mortality and costs of treatment. Current methods for identification of fungi include biochemical, phenotypic, microscopic and molecular methods. Numerous peer-reviewed studies have examined the capabilities of the MALDI Biotyper for fungal identification and Bruker recently launched a separate RUO library of filamentous fungi at ECCMID 2012. MALDI Biotyper testing can be completed in hours and therefore has the potential to produce more rapid results than traditional microbiological testing methods.
The goals of this collaboration include the validation and expansion of the MALDI Biotyper database of protein fingerprint profiles for identification of unusual filamentous fungi, and the expansion of protein fingerprint profiles for identification of unusual yeast species. It therefore will enhance the MALDI Biotyper database as well as determine if the Bruker MALDI Biotyper platform can partially or fully replace the laborious traditional biochemical testing currently used by JMI Laboratories.
Dr. Mariana Castanheira, research scientist at JMI Laboratories and speaking for Professors M.A. Pfaller and R.N. Jones stated: "Contemporary understanding of emerging resistances among antifungal agents requires companion use of reference susceptibility test methods such as CLSI and EUCAST and molecular-level reference-quality organism identifications. The Bruker MALDI Biotyper provides us with an evolving degree of species identification certainty and processing value."
George Goedesky, Executive Director of Microbiology Business Development at Bruker Daltonics commented: "We are very excited to establish the collaboration with JMI Laboratories in the field of fungal identification. Compared to classical identification methods, the MALDI Biotyper has been demonstrated to have a superior performance for common yeast representing roughly 95% of the isolates in most clinical microbiology laboratories. With JMI's acknowledged expertise in the field and large collection of sequenced fungal isolates, especially rare and unusual yeast and moulds, we will even further improve the coverage of the MALDI Biotyper reference library for this very challenging organism group."
About the Bruker MALDI Biotyper
Bruker's dedicated MALDI Biotyper solution enables molecular identification, taxonomical classification or dereplication of microorganisms like bacteria, yeasts and fungi. Classification and identification of microorganisms is achieved reliably and fast using proteomic fingerprinting with high-throughput MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Applications include clinical routine microbial identification, environmental and pharmaceutical analysis, taxonomical research, food and consumer product processing and quality control, as well as in marine microbiology. Bruker's robust MALDI Biotyper method requires minimal sample preparation efforts and offers low cost per sample. The MALDI Biotyper is available in a research-use-only version, as well as in an IVD version according to the EU directive EC/98/79 in various EU countries. For more information, please visit http://www.bruker.com/MALDIBiotyper
About Bruker Corporation
Bruker Corporation (NASDAQ: BRKR) is a leading provider of high performance scientific instruments and solutions for molecular and materials research, as well as industrial and applied analysis. For more information: http://www.bruker.com.
For more information on JMI labs, please visit http://www.jmilabs.com
George Goedesky, +1-812-844-7282
Executive Director of Microbiology Business Development
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Bruker Corporation (Group)
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of CMO InVivo Biotech to Expand Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Pathology Consumables and Assay Business". Berlin....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of SCiLS GmbH to Advance MALDI Imaging Software Solutions for Life Science, Pharma and Pathology Research Applications". Bremen....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Bruker Corporation to Present at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Billerica....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bruker Delivering 300 Hand-held Chemical Detectors to German BBK". Leipzig....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/16/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of Active Spectrum Micro-ESR Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/2/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Corporate Partnership with International Phenome Centre Network (IPCN) for NMR Technologies and SOPs". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Bruker AXS Introduces a New Member to the D8 ADVANCE Family — the D8 ADVANCE Plus". Boston, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Bruker Completes Acquisition of Preclinical PET Imaging Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Bruker and Oxford Instruments Announce Acquisition of Oxford Instruments Superconducting Wire Business by Bruker's BEST Segment". Billerica, MA & Tubney Woods....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Cetim Facility Receives Bruker Contour CMM Dimensional Analysis System". San José, CA & Senlis....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]