Document › Details
Bruker Corporation. (9/19/13). "Press Release: Bruker Announces the World’s First Preclinical Magnetic Particle Imaging (MPI) System. Innovation from Bruker and Philips". Savannah, GA.
Innovation from Bruker and Philips Brings Entirely New Technology to the Preclinical Imaging Market
At the 2013 World Molecular Imaging Congress (WMIC, www.wmicmeeting.org), Bruker today announced the world's first Magnetic Particle Imaging (MPI) system, an entirely new technology for preclinical imaging. The addition of MPI as a complementary preclinical imaging technique for disease studies, translational research and drug discovery, has significant potential in helping researchers gain new insights into disease processes at the organ, cellular and molecular level.
The new Bruker preclinical MPI scanner was developed in collaboration with Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHIA), in a partnership that combines Bruker's leadership in analytical magnetic resonance instruments and preclinical Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) with Philips' strengths in medical imaging. With MPI, Bruker has further expanded its fast growing preclinical imaging product portfolio that includes MRI, PET, SPECT, micro-CT, optical molecular imaging, X-ray, and now also MPI.
MPI is a new medical imaging technology that was invented and developed by scientists at Philips and a proof of principle was first published in the Journal Nature in 2005. The MPI tomographic imaging technique relies on the detection of the magnetic properties of iron-oxide nanoparticles injected into the bloodstream to produce three-dimensional images. The potential of the technology for medical and industrial research and, ultimately, patient care, has been demonstrated in several studies, e.g. MPI technology has been used to produce real-time images that accurately capture the activity in the cardiovascular system of a mouse. Indeed, the ability to acquire high time-resolution images in a matter of milliseconds allows for novel applications in which temporal resolution is able to resolve questions not addressed by many existing imaging techniques.
Dr. Michael Heidenreich, Technical Director of Bruker BioSpin MRI, stated: "We are very pleased about this breakthrough in preclinical imaging and our collaboration with Philips on this exciting technology. Magnetic Particle Imaging is a novel imaging modality that is expected to enable scientists to address an extensive range of new issues in preclinical research. MPI nicely complements Bruker's preclinical imaging product portfolio of now nine different modalities. The highly sensitive visualization of functional characteristics in vivo at high temporal resolution offers great potential for small animal imaging, especially when combined with high spatial resolution morphological MRI."
"Magnetic Particle Imaging represents a fundamentally new imaging modality with an exceptional ability to image in vivo functional behavior," said Homer Pien, Chief Technology Officer at Imaging Systems, Philips Healthcare. "We are particularly excited about its potential for providing new insights into cardiovascular disease, cancer, and stem cell therapies. Going forward, I am convinced that the results from the research studies conducted with preclinical MPI systems will provide valuable guidance for our ongoing development of a whole-body clinical MPI system."
As part of the collaboration, Bruker and Philips will co-market the new preclinical MPI scanner.
About Bruker Corporation
Bruker Corporation (NASDAQ: BRKR) is a leading provider of high performance scientific instruments and solutions for molecular and materials research, as well as for diagnostics, industrial, clinical and applied analysis.
For more information, please visit www.bruker.com
For more information on magnetic particle imaging (MPI), please visit: www.bruker.com/MPI
Dr. Thorsten Thiel, +49 (721) 5161 - 6500
Director of Marketing Communications
Record changed: 2016-03-20
More documents for Bruker Corporation (Group)
-  Bruker Corporation. (3/6/17). "Press Release: Bruker Introduces New Scientific Instruments and Analytical Solutions at Pittcon 2017". Chicago, IL....
-  Bruker Corporation. (3/3/17). "Press Release: Alcami Invests in Bruker’s D8 Discover HTS System for High-Throughput X-Ray Diffraction Screening in Pharmaceutical Formulation Development". Weert & Karlsruhe....
-  Bruker Corporation. (2/27/17). "Press Release: Bruker Corporation to Present at Investor Conferences". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (2/21/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Quarterly Dividend". Billerica, MA....
-  University of Warwick. (2/17/17). "Press Release: Molecular Phenomenon Discovered by Advanced NMR Facility"....
-  Bruker Corporation. (2/13/17). "Press Release: Bruker Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2016 Financial Results". Billerica, MA....
-  Albany Molecular Research, Inc.. (2/7/17). "Press Release: AMRI Announces Strategic Alliance to Advance Mass Spectrometry Capabilities for Drug Discovery". Albany, NY....
-  Analytik Jena AG. (2/6/17). "Press Release: One Million Tests a Week – Analytik Jena Optimizes the Process for Ultra High Throughput Screening". Jena & Washington, DC....
-  Bruker Corporation. (2/6/17). "Press Release: Bruker Introduces MALDI PharmaPulse 2.0 Solution at SLAS 2017 for 100x Faster Mass Spectrometry-Based, Label-Free Screening in Drug Discovery"....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/30/17). "Press Release: Bruker and iTomography Corporation Announce License Agreement for iTomo Image Reconstruction Software". Kontich....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]