Document › Details
Bruker Corporation. (5/17/16). "Press Release: Bruker Introduces Scanning Microwave Impedance Microscopy for Dimension Icon AFMs". Santa Barbara, CA.
PeakForce sMIM Mode Provides Enhanced Nanoscale Mapping of Permittivity and Conductivity
Bruker’s Nano Surfaces Division today announced the release of scanning microwave impedance microscopy (sMIM) capability for its Dimension Icon® atomic force microscope (AFM) platform. The innovative sMIM technique works by reflecting a microwave signal from a nano-probe and sample interface to reveal the electrodynamic properties of the sample surface and sub-surface. The detection and processing of microwave reflectance is done in real time, allowing direct access to the permittivity and conductivity of materials. When integrated with Bruker’s unique PeakForce Tapping®, sMIM greatly expands its applications to simultaneous characterization of electrical and mechanical properties. In addition, Bruker’s new PeakForce sMIM mode enables characterization of previously challenging measurements on fragile samples, such as nanotubes, nanowires, biological samples and is ideal for electrical characterization of 2D materials.
“We greatly expanded the nano-electrical characterization capabilities for researchers in the semiconductor industries by bringing Bruker’s exclusive PeakForce Tapping to the exciting sMIM technology developed by PrimeNano Inc.” said Marco Tortonese, Ph.D., Vice President and General Manager of Bruker’s AFM Instrumentation Business. “Researchers can now benefit from the most sensitive and complete permittivity and conductivity data on even the most delicate of materials, all at the nanoscale.”
“Our sMIM technique is already changing the way nanoelectric research is being done, and we are gratified that the electronics and proprietary probes we have developed are benefitting the entire AFM community,” added Dr. Stuart Friedman, CEO of PrimeNano, Inc. “PrimeNano’s enabling sMIM technology being utilized with Bruker’s well-known Icon system, particularly in conjunction with their PeakForce Tapping mode, is another huge step in this endeavor.”
About PeakForce sMIM
The AFM-based sMIM technique accesses the reflected microwave signal from the tip-sample interface to reveal electrodynamic property data of the sample surface underneath the tip. Since it is based on the capacitive coupling between the tip and the sample, sMIM does not require making electrical contact between the sample and the substrate. This frees researchers and engineers from the tedious work of wiring and soldering that might alter the sample electrical properties and be impossible for nanoscale materials. As a near-field method, the resolution of sMIM is only limited by the tip radius of the probe, and it can easily achieve a lateral resolution of <20 nm for electrical mapping. Sub-aF sensitivity and high S/N ratios are realized by using waveguide tips with coaxial shielding. Having these unique capabilities, sMIM is superior to other AFM-based electrical modes for a broad range of applications. The versatility of PeakForce sMIM leveraging Dimension Icon and PeakForce Tapping will empower material researchers and device engineers to explore basic principles underlying functionality and perform more advanced and complete materials characterization and device failure analysis.
Bruker Nano Surfaces Division
T: +1 (520) 741-1044 x1022
Record changed: 2016-06-13
More documents for Bruker Corporation (Group)
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of CMO InVivo Biotech to Expand Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Pathology Consumables and Assay Business". Berlin....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of SCiLS GmbH to Advance MALDI Imaging Software Solutions for Life Science, Pharma and Pathology Research Applications". Bremen....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Bruker Corporation to Present at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Billerica....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bruker Delivering 300 Hand-held Chemical Detectors to German BBK". Leipzig....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/16/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of Active Spectrum Micro-ESR Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/2/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Corporate Partnership with International Phenome Centre Network (IPCN) for NMR Technologies and SOPs". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Bruker AXS Introduces a New Member to the D8 ADVANCE Family — the D8 ADVANCE Plus". Boston, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Bruker Completes Acquisition of Preclinical PET Imaging Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Bruker and Oxford Instruments Announce Acquisition of Oxford Instruments Superconducting Wire Business by Bruker's BEST Segment". Billerica, MA & Tubney Woods....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Cetim Facility Receives Bruker Contour CMM Dimensional Analysis System". San José, CA & Senlis....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]