Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (9/23/10). "Press Release: Dorothy Phillips Honored by ACS for Outstanding Achievements and Contributions to the Chemical Sciences". Milford, MA.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT)|
|Organisation 2||American Chemical Society (ACS)|
|Person||Phillips, Dorothy (Waters 201003 Director Chemistry Operations Strategic Marketing)|
|Person 2||King, Ian S. (Waters 201601– SVP Instrument Technologe before VP Chemistry Operations)|
Recently, Dorothy Philips, Director of Strategic Marketing in the Chemistry Operations group at Waters, was honored by the American Chemical Society as a new ACS Fellow at the 240th National ACS Meeting in Boston on August 23. The Fellows Program began in 2009 to recognize and honor ACS members for their outstanding achievements in and contributions to the chemical sciences, the profession, and service to the society. The newly anointed 192 Fellows represented academia, industry, and government.
ACS President Joseph S. Francisco said when he announced the 2010 class of ACS Fellows, "They are also consummate volunteers who contribute tirelessly to the community and the profession."
Fellows came from the entire breadth of ACS's membership and the chemical enterprise -including high school teaching, government service, and all sectors of industry and academia. Academic chemists made up 71 percent of the second class of Fellows with 20 percent from industry, 7 percent government, and 1 percent high school teaching. Twenty two percent of the Fellows were women.
"On behalf of all Waters colleagues, I want to congratulate Dorothy on this prestigious and well-deserved honor," said Ian King, Vice President of Chemistry Operations for Waters. "Dorothy is the consummate professional and a highly-respected scientist. Her impact here at Waters and in the chemical industry goes beyond any measurable scale. We are honored to be her colleague and thrilled that the ACS also recognized Dorothy's accomplishments."
Dr. Dorothy J. Phillips earned her Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry from Vanderbilt University and her Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of Cincinnati in the laboratory of Dr. Albert Bobst. She spent nine years at Dow Chemical Company before joining Waters Corporation in 1984. Previous positions at Waters included Brand Manager, Director, Strategic Programs, and Director, New Business Development.
Currently she is Director, Strategic Marketing, responsible for identifying and assessing new technology and product opportunities to meet separation needs in pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical and food safety markets globally. While in R&D she was instrumental in the development of Waters' products such as Accell® stationary phases, Symmetry® columns and Oasis® sorbent. She received the Waters Manager's Award for Innovation in 1987 and 1988. In 2008, Dr. Phillips was the first ever recipient of the Waters Leadership Award for outstanding contributions to Waters and the Waters Community.
Dorothy has published and/or presented over 70 papers in the field of analytical chemistry with a focus on HPLC. Numerous presentations have been made worldwide at scientific meetings. She was a keynote speaker at Third Annual PepCon Conference focused on peptides and proteins, in Beijing, China, in March 2010. Dorothy was also a keynote lecturer at the IDDST conference in Beijing in 2008. She was one of the scientists selected to travel with the People to People Ambassador Program to China in 1990 for technology transfer and again in 2004 to understand the status of pharmaceutical sciences in this country. The University of Cincinnati's McMickens College of Arts and Sciences and its Center for Women Studies recognized Dorothy as a Distinguished Alumnus. Vanderbilt University presents annually to an outstanding graduate the "Dr. Dorothy Wingfield Phillips Award for Leadership". Dorothy was the first African-American woman to receive a Bachelors degree from the Vanderbilt's School of Arts and Sciences in 1967.
Dorothy has been recognized for her service and support of the American Chemical Society by being elected to the 2010 Class of Fellows of the American Chemical Society, and by receiving The Henry A. Hill and The Shirley B. Radding Awards. She is currently on the Board of Directors for the Northeastern Section, Chair of the Division of Analytical Chemistry and a member of the Council Policy Committee.
Commenting on being elected a member of the 2010 class of Fellows of the American Chemical Society, she said, "I am indeed pleased to be recognized by my peers for this prestigious award. It is also wonderful to be honored for doing what I enjoy, serving ACS and contributing to the applications of science and technology."
Waters Corporate Contacts
Brian J. Murphy
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Waters Expands Cortecs Analytical Column Portfolio". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Vicam Now Offers a Single Extraction Test for Aflatoxins and Fumonisins in Corn and Grain". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Waters and Sotax Group Sign Co-Marketing and Re-Seller Agreement". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Waters Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]