Document › Details
John Wiley & Sons. (12/21/11). "Press Release: Journal of Mass Spectrometry Appoints Marcos Eberlin as Associate Editor".
|Organisation||John Wiley & Sons Ltd.|
|Organisation 2||State University of Campinas (Unicamp), ThoMSon Mass Spectrometry Laboratory|
|Group||State University of Campinas (Unicamp)|
|Product||Journal of Mass Spectrometry, The (JMS)|
|Product 2||mass spectrometry (MS)|
|Person||Eberlin, Marcos (State Univ Campinas 201112 Prof + Head of Thomson Mass Spec Lab + President IMSC + VP BRMASS)|
"Brazilians are known for loving fast cars, music, and football but recently we felt in love with another marvelous thing; science and most intensely, mass spectrometry"
The Journal of Mass Spectrometry, JMS, is proud to announce the appointment of Professor Marcos Eberlin of the University of Campinas, Brazil to Associate Editor. Professor Marcos Eberlin has helped changed the face of mass spectrometry in his native Brazil.
"I learned during high school that chemistry can be quite boring, when it comes, for instance, to memorizing nomenclature and formulae," recalls Professor Eberlin, "but with mass spectrometry, we have direct access to the marvelous molecular world of molecules and molecular machines and discover the beauty and fascinating complexity of chemistry thus understanding its most superb intelligence... that's when chemistry is really amazing." It was an 'illuminated' teacher at university who called his attention to the great future of mass spectrometry. By that time mass spectrometry was the 'ugly duckling' of science but his teacher predicted that it would one day become the beautiful swan. Time proved that he was right eventually swaying Marcos away from synthetic chemistry and into mass spectrometry. Indeed many may say that it was a pivotal moment for mass spectrometry in Brazil.
"Twenty years ago, you could count the number of mass spectrometrists in my country on the fingers of two hands but today, when we attend Brazilian Mass Spectrometry Society (BrMASS) conferences, many hundreds attend from Brazil and all South America and over the world. Today Brazilians are developing new techniques, working on new MS applications, founding MS laboratories equipped with state-of-the art instrumentation, publishing and doing MS science in an effervescent way as ever before and in a truly pioneering fashion; Brazil today is the place to be for MS."
As founder of the Thomson Mass Spectrometry Laboratory at the University of Campinas, Professor Eberlin has guided the lab to international acclaim as a leader in the development of MS techniques and applications. He is widely known for his intense and multidisciplinary MS research in gas phase ion chemistry and in the development of new MS techniques such as EASI. Today Marcos and his group relies solely on MS to untangle the complexities of his most challenging projects.
Professor Eberlin has authored over 450 scientific manuscripts, and supervised more than a hundred master, PhD and pos-doc students. He currently supervises a group of 45 students and collaborators and now associate editor of the Journal of Mass Spectrometry. He is also the president of the International Mass Spectrometry Foundation and vice president of the Brazilian Mass Spectrometry Society, whose roster has swelled to more than 1,800 members. His work has also earned him numerous awards.
Record changed: 2016-03-20
More documents for Wiley (Group)
-  John Wiley & Sons. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Wiley Launches New Spectra Lab Applications to Help Scientists Manage Analytical Data"....
-  Advanced Chemistry Development, Inc. (ACD/Labs). (8/18/16). "Press Release: Structure Elucidation Software Review in Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry. A New Tutorial for Structure Elucidation Education". Toronto, ON....
-  John Wiley & Sons. (7/26/16). "Press Release: Wiley Announces Launch of Wiley Spectra Lab, Giving Researchers Access to Largest Collection of Reference Spectra in the World"....
-  John Wiley & Sons, Inc.. (1/15/13). "Press Release: Wiley Acquires Assets of FIZ Chemie Berlin. Extended and Integrated Portfolio Will Support Development of New Services for Chemists". Hoboken, NJ....
-  Advanced Chemistry Development, Inc. (ACD/Labs). (5/20/12). "Press Release: ACD/Labs Expands Collection of Available Wiley MS Databases". Vancouver, BC....
-  John Wiley & Sons. (3/30/12). "Press Release: Announcing the Wiley Registry of Tandem MS Data, MSforID". Hoboken, NJ....
-  Oberacher, Herbert. (10/14/11). Web Site. MSforID. [http://www.msforid.com, 10/14/11]...
-  John Wiley & Sons. (6/14/11). "Press Release: Wiley Launches Compound Search"....
-  Geneva Bioinformatics (GeneBio) S.A.. (5/30/11). "Press Release: Wiley Announces a Global Nonexclusive Distribution Agreement with GeneBio SA"....
-  John Wiley & Sons. (7/20/10). "Press Release: RCM Beynon Prize Award, 2010"....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]