Document › Details
AB Sciex. (10/4/10). "Press Release: ETH Zurich Develops the World’s First Proteomics MRM Atlas with QTRAP Technology from AB Sciex. Online Database of Mass Spectrometry-based Assays to Accelerate Protein Analysis". Foster City, CA.
|Organisation||AB Sciex LLC|
|Organisation 2||ETH Zürich (ETHZ)|
|Product||AB Sciex QTRAP® 5500 LC/MS/MS System|
|Product 2||MRM Atlas (Human Multiple Reaction Monitoring Atlas)|
|Index term||ETH Zürich–Danaher: mass spectrometer, 201007 supply existent QTRAP 5500 System in use at Institute of Molecular Systems Biology|
|Person||Aebersold, Ruedi (ETH Zurich 2005c– Professor Systems Biology before Institute of Systems Biology Seattle)|
|Person 2||Boorn, Andy (Danaher 201002 President AB SCIEX)|
AB SCIEX, a global leader in life science analytical technologies, today announced that scientists at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich), in collaboration with the Institute for Systems Biology in Seattle, WA, used next-generation QTRAP mass spectrometry technology to create assays for approximately 20,000 human proteins, generating the world’s first human Multiple Reaction Monitoring (MRM) Atlas, an online database that will be made publicly available. Scientists around the world can use this atlas to significantly advance biomarker research, protein-based drug development and fundamental biological and biomedical research. The MRMAtlas provides simple, validated assays expanding into never-before-seen areas of the proteome. This project involved ETH scientists led by Dr. Ruedi Aebersold, Ph.D., who will be featured in a November 9th live webcast of a technical presentation about the MRMAtlas.
The MRMAtlas is a new database that provides mass spectrometry-based assays to a large proportion of the human proteome, enabling researchers to minimize the tedious and time-consuming task of assay development. Many scientists see MRM assays as an improvement over current immunoassays, such as Western Blotting and ELISA, which use antibodies. Immunoassays can be very costly and time-consuming to develop and can have issues with specificity. The new database of MRM assays is similar to a large library of ready-to-go antibodies to specific proteins, but the difference is that hundreds of proteins and peptides can be detected and quantified in a simple mass spectrometry assay and without the issues of cross reactivity.
The development of the MRMAtlas was dependent on QTRAP technology, which uniquely combines in a single analysis the quantitative MRM capabilities of normal triple quadrupole systems, with advanced linear ion trap capabilities for protein identification and confirmation. This gives researchers a clearer picture of each assay and eliminates ambiguity, meeting the requirements of the scientists at ETH Zurich. The industry-leading sensitivity of the AB SCIEX QTRAP systems also means the scientists were able to develop assays to low abundant proteins in the proteome. Using synthetic peptides for the QTRAP technology to analyze, the scientists at ETH developed this comprehensive library of MRM assays with unprecedented speed of 100 peptides per hour.
Ruedi Aebersold, Ph.D., Professor, Institute of Biotechnology at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
“MRM assays are set to change the world of proteomics. The MRMAtlas is a tool for advancing protein analysis. This accomplishment by a dedicated group of scientists is an important milestone and will improve our understanding of the analysis of the human proteome. We could not have developed the MRMAtlas as quickly and productively without QTRAP technology.”
Andy Boorn, Chief Operating Officer, AB SCIEX
“The adoption of AB SCIEX QTRAP systems to help create the MRMAtlas will unlock the real power of mass spectrometry for proteomics analysis. Scientists will now be able to analyze huge numbers of proteins in the human body all at the same time, which has significant ramifications for biomarker research and ultimately personalized medicine. The QTRAP systems are essentially the best triple quadrupoles available but with additional, unique capabilities. They continue to help deliver significant scientific results, such as this landmark MRMAtlas project.”
Webcast on the MRMAtlas
The webcast with Dr. Ruedi Aebersold will be held on Tuesday, November 9 at 5pm CET/ 11am EST/ 8 am PST. Participation requires online pre-registration. Click here to register.
QTRAP technology overview
AB SCIEX mass spectrometry portfolio
About AB SCIEX
AB SCIEX is a global leader in the development of life science analytical technologies that help answer complex scientific challenges. The company provides scientific instrumentation, software and services used to discover new drugs, advance medical science and protect the food supply and the environment. AB SCIEX technology solutions combine the highest performance with the highest reliability to enable our customers to fuel scientific discovery, deliver results with confidence and improve the quality of life. The company has a more than 20-year history of innovation and market leadership as the former Applied Biosystems/MDS Analytical Technologies joint venture. For more information about AB SCIEX, go to www.absciex.com.
Follow AB SCIEX on Twitter @ABSCIEX and on Facebook.
Social Media Tags
MRMAtlas, AB SCIEX, mass spectrometry, proteomics, protein analysis, peptide, MRM, triple quadrupole, QTRAP
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
The trademarks mentioned herein are the property of AB Sciex Pte. Ltd. or their respective owners. AB SCIEXTM is being used under license. © 2010. AB SCIEX.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Danaher (Group)
-  Tecan Group Ltd.. (1/10/17). "Press Release: Tecan Appoints Klaus Lun Head of the Life Sciences Business Division". Männedorf....
-  Bayer AG. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bayer Develops Companion Diagnostic Test for Cancer Patients Together with Leica Biosystems [Not intended for U.S. and UK Media]". Leverkusen....
-  Danaher Corporation. (12/1/16). "Press Release: Danaher Announces Leadership Appointment". Washington, DC....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: New Clarity Columns Refine RP and IEX Chromatographic Analysis of Synthetic Oligonucleotides". Torrance, CA....
-  Pressure BioSciences, Inc.. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Pressure BioSciences, Inc. Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results and Provides Business Update". South Easton, MA....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (11/10/16). "Press Release: Sciex Supports Vital Cancer Prevention Research through Partnership with World Cancer Research Fund". Framingham, MA....
-  Danaher Corporation. (11/4/16). "Press Release: Danaher Completes Acquisition of Cepheid". Washington, DC....
-  Danaher Corporation. (10/31/16). "Press Release: Danaher to Present at Baird Industrial Conference". Washington, DC....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (10/27/16). "Press Release: Scientists Eradicate Leukemic Stem Cells by Targeting Cell Survival Proteins. Sciex Mass Spectrometry-based Solutions Lead to Leukemia Breakthroughs". Framingham, MA....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Phenomenex Adds Polar Mixed-Mode Selectivities to Luna LC Column Line". Torrance, CA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]