Document › Details
Expression Pathology Inc.. (5/15/08). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Obtains SBIR to Identify Protein Biomarkers of Breast Cancer Metastasis". Gaithersburg, MD.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Expression Pathology Inc. (EPI)|
|Today||OncoPlex Diagnostics (OncoPlexDx)|
|Group||OncoPlex Diagnostics (OncoPlexDx)|
|Organisation 2||National Cancer Institute (NCI) (US)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product||Liquid Tissue® technology (Expression Pathology)|
|Product 2||mass spectrometry (MS)|
|Index term||Expression Pathology–United States (govt): grant, 200805 $148k SBIR Phase I grant from NCI|
|Person||Tunon, Peter (Expression Pathology 200501– VP Sales + Marketing)|
Expression Pathology Inc. (EPI) has been awarded a $148,000
Phase I Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) to employ its proprietary tissue microproteomics technologies to identify protein biomarkers of metastasis in primary breast cancer. EPI’s Liquid Tissue® sample preparation and Director™ laser microdissection will enable in-depth mass spectrometry based proteomic profiling of archived formalin-fixed tissue with detailed patient histories.
Over 200,000 cases of early-stage breast cancer present for treatment decisions each year in the US. Although gene-expression tests have been developed to help guide those decisions, a protein-based approach has the potential to be more widely available and more informative. Proteins make up the molecular pathways which control cell functions and are the actual targets of most drugs.
“This project is a natural evolution of our business to use our proprietary tissue proteomics research tools to understand at the protein level the progression of metastasis in early-stage breast cancer,” said David Krizman, Ph.D., EPI’s Chief Scientific Officer. “Our aim is to develop valuable tissue protein assays that can aid patient treatment decisions, and to identify new therapeutic targets and companion diagnostics to those targets. We greatly appreciate the NCI’s SBIR program in its support of innovative initiatives by early-stage companies like EPI.”
About Expression Pathology Inc.
EPI is developing proprietary cancer tests and research tools to study and measure proteins in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue, the format of patient tissue routinely collected and stored in medical treatment and research facilities. FFPE tissue constitutes a huge, untapped resource for discovery, validation and measurement of valuable biomarkers of disease progression, drug response and toxicity.
EPI’s Liquid Tissue® sample preparation and Director™ laser microdissection technologies enable mass spectrometry-based analysis and measurement of proteins in FFPE tissue. EPI offers these as research products, contract services and collaborative research programs. For more information, see
For more information, contact:
Expression Pathology Inc.
Peter Tunon, Vice President Sales and Marketing
9290 Gaither Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Phone: (301) 977-3654
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for OncoPlex Diagnostics (OncoPlexDx)
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (2/13/12). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Collaborates on Liquid Tissue Personalized Medicine Assays in Lung Cancer Treatment". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (2/1/12). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Appoints New President and CEO". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (3/24/11). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Obtains Second U.S. Liquid Tissue Patent". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (2/1/11). "Press Release: Expression Pathology and Children’s Oncology Group to Measure IGF-1R Expression in Pediatric Clinical Rhabdomyosarcoma Tissue". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (1/11/11). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Provides Roche Its Liquid Tissue-SRM Protein Biomarker Assay Services in Drug Development". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (12/9/10). "Press Release: Flagship Partners with Expression Pathology to Combine Tissue Proteomics and Digital Pathology. Two Leading Companies Offer Clients Integrated Services for Digital Pathology and Quantitative Mass-spec...
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (9/27/10). "Press Release: Expression Pathology’s Liquid Tissue Patent Issues in Japan". Rockville, MD....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (5/20/10). Thermo Scientific Annual MS User’s Meeting & ASMS Customer Appreciation Event. [http://www.thermoscientific.com, 05/20/10]...
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (5/4/10). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Collaborates with Toronto’s Sick Kids Hospital and University Health Network on New Mass Spec EGFR Test". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (11/17/09). "Press Release: Liquid Tissue Patent Licensed for Amyloidosis Proteomic Assay. Expression Pathology’s Method Enables Mass Spec Analysis of Amyloid Proteins in Microdissected FFPE Tissue". Rockville, MD....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]