Document › Details
Expression Pathology Inc.. (2/1/11). "Press Release: Expression Pathology and Children’s Oncology Group to Measure IGF-1R Expression in Pediatric Clinical Rhabdomyosarcoma Tissue". Rockville, MD.
Expression Pathology Inc. a leader in targeted tissue proteomic analysis, today announced a collaboration with Children’s Oncology Group to assess IGF-1R expression levels in a cohort of clinical rhabdomyosarcoma tissue samples. Children’s Oncology Group, funded through CureSearch for Children’s Cancer, is the world’s largest cooperative cancer research organization dedicated to childhood cancers.
IGF-1R (insulin like growth factor-1 receptor), a critical mediator of cancer cell growth, is the target of drug development programs at multiple pharmaceutical companies. However, IGF-1R targeted therapies have potential toxicities due to significant expression of the target in normal tissues and homology of the IGF-1R target with the insulin receptor.
The project addresses two key challenges: the ability to accurately measure IGF-1R protein expression levels in cancer tissue and to do so in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue, the standard form of tissue preservation used in medical facilities worldwide.
In a collaboration with Dr. Lee Helman and colleagues at the National Cancer Institute the patented Liquid Tissue®-SRM assay technology has been shown to enable for the first time reliable quantification of IGF-1R in FFPE tissue., This new collaboration will apply the company’s quantitative assay in an effort to improve the identification of patients to be included or excluded from treatment with a potentially toxic therapy.
“The novel techniques for quantifying protein expression in FFPE tissue will enhance our ability to evaluate targeted therapy.” says Dr. Suman Malempati, Principal Investigator on this study for the Children’s Oncology Group. “Specifically, determining IGF-IR expression in rhabdomyosarcoma tumor tissue is a first step to evaluating response to IGF-IR inhibition. The current study for metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma incorporates an anti-IGF-IR antibody on a chemotherapy backbone. If the assay is successful, analysis of patient tumors may help determine which patients will benefit most from this novel agent.” Dr. Malempati is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Oregon Health & Science University at Doernbecher Children's Hospital.
“We are truly excited to be part of this dynamic collaboration.” said Dr. Jon Burrows, Expression Pathology’s Executive Vice President Research and Development. “Children’s Oncology Group provides us access to tissue samples suitable for validating the utility of this important assay. This is part of a broad program we have embarked on to exploit our unique ability to apply mass spectrometry to FFPE tissue. We are developing quantitative companion diagnostic Liquid Tissue®-SRM assays for many important protein pathways targeted by existing and emerging cancer drugs.”
About Expression Pathology
Expression Pathology is a private biotech company advancing personalized medicine with assays that measure tumor signaling networks––at the functional protein level––in routine formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) patient tissue to individualize and improve cancer treatment decisions. The company is developing its own proprietary Liquid Tissue®-SRM diagnostic tests in clinical trials of drugs in development and to improve patient selection for targeted drugs already on the market. The company’s rapidly expanding menu of assays includes many of the key protein pathways for which targeted therapies are being developed, including EGFR, IGF-1R, truncated (p95) HER2, HER3, and cMET.
Expression Pathology's patented Liquid Tissue®-SRM assays make possible multiplexed protein quantification by powerful mass spectrometry of minute amounts of laser micro-dissected FFPE tissue. Formalin fixation is the standard method by which patient tissue biopsies and surgical samples are preserved worldwide. Expression Pathology is exploiting its ability to accurately measure cancer pathway proteins and their activation, or phosphorylation states, and to do so in standard patient tissue and core needle biopsies, to develop more informative assays that can be widely adopted in medical practice.
The key components of the company’s technology are patented DIRECTOR® laser microdissection that speeds up and automates precise collection of target cells for analysis from standard tissue sections and Liquid Tissue® sample preparation that makes possible complete solubilization of the protein content of FFPE tissue. Liquid Tissue® works with very small amounts of tissue, and generates samples that are quality controllable, suitable for multiple analyses and stable over prolonged storage. The company is combining these technologies with state-of-the-art expertise in Selective Reaction Monitoring (SRM) mass spectrometry to develop proprietary assays to pioneer clinical applications of protein analysis in tissue.
About Children’s Oncology Group and CureSearch for Children’s Cancer
CureSearch for Children’s Cancer funds the live saving research of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), the world’s largest cooperative pediatric cancer research entity. Comprised of a network for 210 member hospitals and more than 6,500 member physicians and medical professionals worldwide, COG clinical and translational research has improved overall cure rates from 10 percent 40 years ago to 78 percent today. In the United States, 90 percent of children with cancer receive treatment at a COG member hospital.
For more information, please contact
VP Sales and Marketing
Expression Pathology Inc.
9620 Medical Center Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
Vice President of Communications
CureSearch for Children’s Cancer
7600 East West Highway, Suite 600
Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: (240) 235-2201
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for OncoPlex Diagnostics (OncoPlexDx)
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (2/13/12). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Collaborates on Liquid Tissue Personalized Medicine Assays in Lung Cancer Treatment". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (2/1/12). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Appoints New President and CEO". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (3/24/11). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Obtains Second U.S. Liquid Tissue Patent". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (1/11/11). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Provides Roche Its Liquid Tissue-SRM Protein Biomarker Assay Services in Drug Development". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (12/9/10). "Press Release: Flagship Partners with Expression Pathology to Combine Tissue Proteomics and Digital Pathology. Two Leading Companies Offer Clients Integrated Services for Digital Pathology and Quantitative Mass-spec...
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (9/27/10). "Press Release: Expression Pathology’s Liquid Tissue Patent Issues in Japan". Rockville, MD....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (5/20/10). Thermo Scientific Annual MS User’s Meeting & ASMS Customer Appreciation Event. [http://www.thermoscientific.com, 05/20/10]...
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (5/4/10). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Collaborates with Toronto’s Sick Kids Hospital and University Health Network on New Mass Spec EGFR Test". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (11/17/09). "Press Release: Liquid Tissue Patent Licensed for Amyloidosis Proteomic Assay. Expression Pathology’s Method Enables Mass Spec Analysis of Amyloid Proteins in Microdissected FFPE Tissue". Rockville, MD....
-  Expression Pathology Inc.. (4/20/09). "Press Release: Expression Pathology Raises $6.5 Million to Develop Personalized Medicine Assays for Protein Biomarkers in FFPE Tissue". Rockville, MD....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]