Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (6/21/11). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific GC/MS and LC/MS Instrumentation Selected by the Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera) to Ensure Food Safety". San José, CA.
|Region||United Kingdom (GB)|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||Food and Environment Research Agency, The (Fera)|
|Group||United Kingdom (GB) (govt)|
|Product||TSQ Quantum mass spectrometer|
|Product 2||Exactive™ LC/MS system|
|Index term||United Kingdom (govt)–Thermo Fisher: mass spectrometer, 201106 supply TSQ Quantum GC-MS/MS to Fera|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that the Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera), an executive agency of the UK Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), has selected Thermo Scientific GC-MS and LC-MS systems for accurate, rapid and cost-efficient analysis of food products.
Fera currently manages more than 600 research projects, analyzing more than 50,000 plant and food samples a year. It is the National Reference Laboratory for chemicals in food such as mycotoxins, polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), chemicals from food contact materials, dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in food and feed and some pesticides and veterinary drugs. The agency is now using the Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum GC-MS/MS and Exactive high-performance benchtop LC-MS systems to analyze food, feed, water and air samples for potential contamination. As a result, Fera has benefited from substantial time savings as well as accurate and consistently reliable results. To learn more about the products used by Fera please visit: http://www.thermoscientific.com/foodsafety.
The use of pesticides to protect crops and maintain efficiency of production is commonplace in agriculture. Governments, food producers and food retailers have a public responsibility to ensure that any residues occurring in foods for human consumption are at, or below, statutory maximum residue levels (MRLs). Analytical instrumentation must be capable of testing a wide array of foods for a large number of pesticides at concentrations at or below 0.01 mg/kg in an accurate, rapid and cost-effective manner. Fera selected the TSQ Quantum GC-MS/MS based on the system's ability to perform targeted screening for low concentrations of pesticide residues in foodstuffs. The high sensitivity and selectivity of the instrument has enabled Fera to efficiently achieve 0.01 mg/kg target reporting limits, providing reliable and consistent results, with almost no repeat analyses required. Fera uses the system in combination with Thermo Scientific Xcalibur software for data processing, resulting in significantly increased throughput.
The food testing industry is increasingly turning toward holistic food monitoring, an approach often referred to as profiling or screening. This requires a detailed understanding of what is naturally and normally present in foods so that it is possible to monitor the food chain for abnormalities.
To accomplish this, Fera chose the Exactive high performance benchtop LC-MS based on its capacity for high resolution and high mass accuracy, enabling detailed, non-targeted screening of food samples. Another key advantage of selecting the Exactive was the system's complementarity with nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, which is a key technique in Fera's laboratory. Fera has not only benefited from the system's capacity to analyze samples with high matrix content, but also its reliability and ease-of-use, all of which have resulted in significant time savings. Data are processed and de-convoluted using the advanced Thermo Scientific SIEVE software, further simplifying the analysis of results.
Adrian Charlton, head of chemical and biochemical profiling at Fera, comments "The Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum GC-MS/MS and Exactive high performance benchtop LC-MS systems have become an integral part of our laboratory and have enabled Fera to make significant progress towards ensuring a sustainable food chain and protecting consumers from biological and chemical risks within food."
For more information about Thermo Fisher Scientific solutions and the wide range of applications for food safety, please call 800-532-4752, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thermoscientific.com/foodsafety.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of nearly $11 billion, we have approximately 37,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
The Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera)
For further information about the services offered by Fera please visit www.fera.defra.gov.uk or email: email@example.com
For further press information please contact: Gillian Kelly, The Scott Partnership, 1 Whiteside, Station Road, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire CW4 8AA, United Kingdom Tel: + 44 1477 539539 Fax: +44 1477 539 540 E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Record changed: 2012-10-15
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/3/14). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Strenghtens Innovation Leadership with New Products Launched at Pittcon 2014". Chicago, IL....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/2/14). "Press Release: Service Release Adds Liquid, Ion Chromatography Support to Gold-standard Chromatography Data System". Chicago, IL....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/2/14). "Press Release: New Liquid Chromatography Column Separates Challenging Glycans and Glycan Isomers". Chicago, IL....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (2/7/14). "Press Release: Trading Update"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (2/3/14). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of Life Technologies Corporation. Adds Fourth Reporting Segment". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/30/14). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results. Initiates Guidance for Full Year 2014". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/21/14). "Press Release: New Raman Microscope Enables High-resolution Materials Analysis". Madison, WI....
-  General Electric Company. (1/6/14). "Press Release: GE to Expand in Life Sciences with Acquisition of Strategic Assets from Thermo Fisher Scientific". Chalfont St. Giles....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/6/14). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reaches Agreement to Sell Its Cell Culture, Gene Modulation and Magnetic Beads Businesses to GE Healthcare". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (12/4/13). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]