Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (1/22/13). "Press Release: Fera and Waters Open International Food Safety Training Laboratory". York.
|Region||York, North Yorkshire|
|Country||United Kingdom (GB)|
|Organisation||Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT)|
|Organisation 2||Fera International Food Safety Training Laboratory (Fera IFSTL)|
|Group||United Kingdom (GB) (govt)|
|Product||food analysis (food testing)|
|Product 2||ACQUITY UPLC / Xevo™ TQ Mass Spectrometry System|
|Index term||Waters–United Kingdom (govt): food analysis technology, 201206– collab founding of Fera International Food Safety Training Laboratory (Fera IFSTL)|
|Index term 2||United Kingdom (govt)–Waters: mass spectrometer, 201206 supply of MS technology to newly announced Fera IFSTL|
|Person||Caputo, Arthur G. (Art) (Waters 200903 Division President joined Waters 1977 + RETIRED end 2016)|
|Person 2||Orlando, Chris (Waters 201301 Puplic Relations Manager)|
A major new international food safety training facility, aimed at improving compliance with EU food import standards, is being launched today by The Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera) and analytical equipment manufacturer Waters® (NYSE: WAT).
A significant proportion of food safety incidents reported in the EU are due to imports, therefore ensuring the legal compliance and safety of imported food is vital for protecting consumers. The EU and other international organisations have recognised the value of improving food safety testing globally, so that risks can be identified and tackled at source. In the EU alone the value of exports and imports of foodstuffs today exceeds £690 billion (over 860 billion Euros).
The Fera International Food Safety Training Laboratory (Fera IFSTL), based near York, will primarily train scientists concerned with exporting foods to Europe. Experts from Fera will lead training programs that teach best practice methods to analysts from overseas, using state-of-the art technology and equipment for determining chemical contaminants and residues in food. This will enable food producing countries around the world to implement their own solutions and gain access to the opportunities offered by trade with Europe.
Speaking as he formally opened the new Training Laboratory Lord de Mauley, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (Lords), said: "It's very encouraging to see the public and private sectors working together to facilitate trade from outside the EU. This will improve food safety testing for food imported into the EU, ensuring food is safe before it reaches our tables."
The new venture combines the respective regulatory and scientific expertise of both organisations. The Fera IFSTL draws on Fera's extensive expertise as world leaders in the application of analytical chemistry to food safety testing and as the UK National Reference Laboratory for chemical contaminants in food, pesticide residues and veterinary drug residues.
Fera Chief Executive, Adrian Belton, commented, "We welcome this opportunity to be able to pass on our expertise in food analytical testing. This is underpinned by over 30 years scientific experience in the area, together with detailed knowledge of current and emerging regulations, and internationally recognised quality standards. All of our food analysis work is carried out in modern laboratories by highly trained scientists, using state-of-the-art analytical equipment."
The Fera IFSTL is being launched as part of an international network of food safety training laboratories aimed at raising standards of food safety testing globally. The first IFSTL was opened in the United States in September 2011 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, University of Maryland and Waters®. The training facilities in the network will coordinate and share expertise. As new facilities are added to the network, they will do the same, increasing knowledge and the use of global best practices.
Said Waters Corp. Executive Vice President Art Caputo: "We are very pleased to partner with Fera in establishing this lab near York. We believe that this collaboration will lead to better science and technology, and this in turn will help us raise the bar on food safety. We know the scale of this challenge requires us to address it globally, which is why we are excited to expand the IFSTL network."
As part of the collaboration with Fera, Waters helped establish the laboratory's construction, provided analytical systems and assisted Fera in designing training programs. The facility is equipped with Waters' state-of-the-art ACQUITY UPLC®-MS/MS systems, sample preparation components, and mycotoxin analysis tools.
Courses start in early 2013. For further information, please visit www.defra.gov.uk/fera/ifstl
Notes for Editors:
1. The Fera IFSTL dedicated training facility has the capacity to teach 200 professionals per year. In the first year of operation courses will cover pesticide residues, veterinary drug residues and mycotoxins. In subsequent years the range of courses will be expanded, including running bespoke courses for specific customers if required, and the number and length of courses offered per year will be increased. The facility is now accepting registrations for the following courses:
Pesticide Residues in Food, 4-8 February 2013
Veterinary drug residues in food, 25 February-8 March 2013
Mycotoxins in food, 11-15 March 2013
For further information, please visit www.defra.gov.uk/fera/ifstl
2. The Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera) is an Executive Agency of the UK Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). Its remit is to provide robust evidence, rigorous analysis and expert professional advice to government, international organisations and the private sector, in order to support and develop a sustainable and secure food chain, a healthy natural environment, and to protect the global community from biological and chemical risks.
3. Waters Corporation (www.waters.com)
For more than 50 years, Waters Corporation has created business advantages for laboratory-dependent organizations by delivering practical and sustainable innovation to enable significant advancements in such areas as healthcare delivery, environmental management, food safety, and water quality worldwide.
Pioneering a connected portfolio of separations science, laboratory information management, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis, Waters technology breakthroughs and laboratory solutions provide an enduring platform for customer success.
With revenue of $1.64 billion in 2010 and 5,400 employees, Waters is driving scientific discovery and operational excellence for customers worldwide.
Waters, ACQUITY and UPLC are trademarks of Waters Corporation.
Media Officer: Alison Wilson, +01904-462380, email@example.com, The Food and Environment Research Agency, Sand Hutton, York, YO41 1LZ; or Chris Orlando, Waters Corporation, Public Relations Manager, +1-508-482-2623, Chris_Orlando@waters.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (3/15/17). "Press Release: Waters Now Offers Proteolabels Software. Product Extends the Functionality of Progenesis QI for Proteomics Applications". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (3/6/17). "Press Release: Waters Introduces Cloud Deployable CDS, New Lines of Thermogravimetric Analyzers at Pittcon 2017". Chicago, IL....
-  Waters Corporation. (2/27/17). "Press Release: Waters Honors Singapore’s Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI) for Glycoscience Research". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/24/17). "Press Release: Waters Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]