Document › Details
JEOL USA, Inc.. (8/18/10). "Press Release: JEOL AccuTOF-DART Mass Spectrometer Used in Georgia Institute of Technology’s Newly-developed Ovarian Cancer Test". Peabody, MA.
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||JEOL USA Inc.|
|Organisation 2||Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), School of Chemistry and Biochemistry|
|Group||Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)|
|Product||AccuTOF™ DART® mass spectrometer|
|Product 2||ovarian cancer test, mass spectrometry-based, blood-based (Georgia Tech)|
|Index term||Georgia Tech–JEOL: mass spectrometer, 201008 supply existent AccuTOF-DART system used by Georgia Tech for ovarian cancer diagnostic test|
|Person||Fernandez, Facundo (Georgia Tech 201008 Assoc Professor School of Chemistry and Biochemistry)|
|Person 2||Corkum, Patricia (JEOL 200903 Marketing Manager JEOL USA)|
Called the silent killer, ovarian cancer is one of the most insidious and hardest to detect diseases. It is the leading cause of death from gynecologic cancers in the United States and, because it presents no obvious symptoms, it is often detected too late.
Researchers at Georgia Institute of Technology reported last week that a new test for ovarian cancer was demonstrated to be 99% to 100% accurate over 100 patient samples examined in initial trials. The test utilizes a new diagnostic technique involving mass spectrometry of a single drop of blood serum.
The mass spectrometer used for this groundbreaking test is the AccuTOF™-DART® (JEOL USA Inc., Peabody, Massachusetts). With the introduction of the JEOL AccuTOF-DART in 2005, the company revolutionized mass spectrometry with the ability to instantly analyze virtually anything for its chemical composition with little or no sample preparation in most cases.
For the ovarian cancer test in development, Dr. Facundo Fernandez, Assoc. Professor in the School of Chemistry and Biochemistry and coworkers at Georgia Institute of Technology, analyzed a sample from a single drop of blood serum from each test subject by using the hot helium plasma created by the DART ion source. The mass spectrometer then instantly analyzed the relative abundance of metabolites, or small molecules in the serum. Specially developed techniques were used to sort sets of metabolites found in cancerous plasma from those found in healthy samples. The metabolic changes were mapped and proved to be 99% to 100% accurate in distinguishing sera from women with ovarian cancer from normal controls without registering a single false positive or false negative.
The group is currently in the midst of conducting the next set of assays, this time with 500 patients.
Meanwhile as test preparations proceed at Georgia Tech's Ovarian Cancer Institute, Fernandez said, "The caveat is we don't currently have 500 patients with the same type of ovarian cancer, so we're going to look at other types of ovarian cancer. It's possible that there are also signatures for other cancers, not just ovarian, so we're also going to be using the same approach to look at other types of cancers. We'll be working with collaborators in Atlanta and elsewhere."
If further testing confirms the ability to accurately detect ovarian cancer by analyzing metabolites in the serum of women, doctors will be able detect the disease early and save many lives.
"This is the most accurate diagnostic test for ovarian cancer thus far reported. We are currently expanding the number of samples examined in order to demonstrate the robustness of the test prior to applying for FDA approval for clinical use," the website for the Ovarian Cancer Institute states.
The results can be found online in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, & Prevention Research in the paper entitled Rapid Mass Spectrometric Metabolic Profiling of Blood Sera Detects Ovarian Cancer with High Accuracy.
# # #
JEOL USA, Inc.
JEOL is a world leader in electron optical equipment and instrumentation for high-end scientific and industrial research and development. Core product groups include electron microscopes (SEMs and TEMs), instruments for the semiconductor industry (electron beam lithography and a series of defect review and inspection tools), and analytical instruments including mass spectrometers, NMRs and ESRs.
JEOL USA, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of JEOL, Ltd., Japan, was incorporated in the United States in 1962. The company has 13 regional service centers that offer unlimited emergency service and support in the U.S.
For more information about JEOL USA, Inc. or any JEOL products, visit www.jeolusa.com, or call 978-535-5900.
CONTACT: Patricia Corkum, Marketing Manager
978-536-2273 o firstname.lastname@example.org o www.jeolusa.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for JEOL (Group)
-  JEOL Ltd.. (9/7/16). "Press Release: Release of the New Scanning Electron Microscope JSM-IT300HR InTouchScope"....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (6/2/16). "Press Release: JEOL Highlights New Analytical Technologies at ASMS 2016". Peabody, MA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: Big Picture Plus Analysis from a Small, Compact, and Versatile Benchtop SEM – the JSM-6000PLUS NeoScope from JEOL". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Demonstrates New Analytical Technology at Pittcon 2016". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Debuts InfiTOF Multi-Turn Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer for Real-time Gas Analysis". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: New PhotoIonization (PI) Source and a new Application for JEOL’s Fourth-Generation AccuTOF-GCX High-Resolution GC/Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: Powerful Problem-solving Mass Spectrometer Demonstrations at Pittcon 2016 – JEOL AccuTOF-DART 4G". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Tungsten SEM with Smart Analytical Port Geometry Demonstrated at Pittcon 2016". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (2/22/16). "Press Release: Researchers First to Prove ZIKA Virus Associated with Microcephaly Used JEOL Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) for Imaging Brain Sections"....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (2/3/16). "Press Release: New JEOL »F2« Versatile S/TEM Offers Advanced Analytical Features". Peabody, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]