Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (2/13/08). "Press Release: LTQ Orbitrap for Proteomics Research. Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap Mass Spectrometer Selected for Ground-Breaking Research in Disease Treatment and Prevention". San José, CA.
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montréal (IRCM)|
|Product||LTQ Orbitrap™ mass spectrometer|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that the company's award-winning LTQ Orbitrap™ linear ion trap mass spectrometer was chosen by the Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montréal (IRCM) for use in a new proteomics research approach that could profoundly impact the current understanding of the human proteome. The Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap will play a major role in IRCM's systematic analysis of human protein interaction networks, which has significant implications in the prevention and treatment of disease.
IRCM, founded in 1967, is a non-profit organization devoted to studying the causes of disease, developing new diagnostic procedures and discovering preventive and therapeutic approaches that help to enhance quality of life. A significant part of the organization's research focuses on proteomics - or the study of the structure and function of proteins, which are responsible for the physiology of living cells. The proteome of an organism is the set of proteins encoded by its genome. Since most of the proteins found in the human body are still uncharacterized, their function remains unknown and there is a need for a protein "road map."
Defining the maps of protein interactions that regulate cell growth, differentiation and disease progression is the overall goal of the Human Proteotheque Initiative (HuPI), a project conducted by Dr. Benoit Coulombe, his research team at IRCM and his collaborators in various universities and research centers. These "HuPI-Maps" will be made publicly available as an atlas describing some fundamental human molecular networks. This atlas should become a valuable resource for scientists interested in basic biological and biomedical research because enzymes and other proteins carry most of the biological functions required for cell growth and differentiation. Central to the HuPI project is its experimental platform, including the Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap mass spectrometer, which ultimately generates maps of protein interaction networks.
This information potentially can lead to future ground-breaking discoveries of new molecular tools for the prevention and treatment of disease. By characterizing protein networks associated with a particular disease, scientists believe they can produce multi-parameter descriptions needed to more realistically and reliably address issues such as the cause, the diagnose and, eventually, the cure of this disease. Critical to this procedure is definitive protein characterization, which is only possible with the high-resolution, high-mass accuracy MS/MS performance offered by the Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap hybrid system.
"What is most important is to develop a highly reliable and efficient discovery pipeline that generates interaction maps that are both as complete and as accurate as possible," Dr. Coulombe said. "The specificity of our procedure to identify functionally relevant interaction partners is spectacular. The LTQ Orbitrap has definitely enabled us to make discoveries that have previously been impossible."
"This is a great example of how Thermo Scientific instrumentation is being used in critical research applications that have a real impact on human life," comments Iain Mylchreest vice president and general manager, Life Sciences Mass Spectrometry, Thermo Fisher. "Thermo Fisher is proud to support the HuPI initiative as it is extremely important and timely to the field of system biology."
For more information about the Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap Discovery and LTQ Orbitrap XL hybrid linear ion trap mass spectrometers, please call +1 800-532-4752, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.thermo.com/ms.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With an annual revenue rate of more than $9 billion, we employ 30,000 people and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]