Document › Details
JEOL USA, Inc.. (10/21/09). "Press Release: JEOL Introduces a New Correlative Microscopy Tool for Observing Biological Samples and Materials in Atmosphere". Peabody, MA.
|Organisation||JEOL USA Inc.|
|Product||ClairScope™ correlative microscopy tool|
|Person||Suga, Mitsuo (JEOL 200910 Project Leader ClairScope)|
|Person 2||Guarrera, Donna (JEOL 200910 Product Manager JEOL USA)|
JEOL, a global leader in the development and manufacture of scanning and transmission electron microscopes, introduces ClairScope™, a first-of-its kind correlative microscopy tool that combines a high-end Light Microscope (LM) with a high-resolution Atmospheric Scanning Electron Microscope (ASEM). The new JEOL ClairScope enables uncompromised observation of samples in their native state using both LM and ASEM, significantly reducing sample preparation time and allowing dynamic observation of real time processes. The atmospheric SEM allows high resolution observation of wet biological samples such as cultured cells and imaging of materials samples in liquids.
High Resolution Observation of Life Science and Materials Experiments As They Occur
The ClairScope's unique specimen dish makes it possible to add reagents, drugs, and other substances to the sample in order to perform experiments and observe reactions in both liquid and gas environments. For the first time, life science researchers can harness the powerful imaging capability of the SEM to observe biological processes such as platelet generation, distribution of sugar chains, and microbe growth. Materials scientists will be able to observe and record crystallization, electrochemical reactions, emulsion technology, self-assemblies, and dendrite growth as they occur.
Integrating LM and SEM with Control of Sample Environment
Researchers can control the specimen's environment and stop processes at specific points in the experiment using the ClairScope to observe samples at atmospheric pressure in liquid or gas. The wide-field light microscope with emersion lens is co-axially aligned with the inverted electron column making it easy to switch between the light microscope and the electron microscope without repositioning the specimen dish. The specimen dish features an ultrathin SiN film window that allows transmission of the electron beam for SEM imaging while the sample is open to atmospheric pressure.
"The ClairScope features a high quality wide-field microscope integrated with the ASEM. When we combine SEM and LM, there is no compromise in working distance and there are no issues with vacuum in the ClairScope," said Mitsuo Suga, ClairScope Project Leader.
Atmospheric SEM vs. Environmental SEM
The development of an Atmospheric SEM offers greater opportunities to observe samples in their native state than previously possible. "The advantage of this ASEM over an ESEM is that we can look at samples at room temperature and at atmosphere and we can watch those processes dynamically," said JEOL USA Product Manager Donna Guarrera. "No lengthy drying processes, protective coating, or freezing of wet samples such as cultured cells, is required."
The new ClairScope is being introduced at the Society for Neuroscience meeting in Chicago this week, where more than 30,000 scientists are involved in cutting edge research.
# # #
JEOL USA, Inc.
JEOL is a world leader in electron optical equipment and instrumentation for high-end scientific and industrial research and development. Core product groups include electron microscopes (SEMs and TEMs), instruments for the semiconductor industry (electron beam lithography and a series of defect review and inspection tools), and analytical instruments including mass spectrometers, NMRs and ESRs.
JEOL USA, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of JEOL, Ltd., Japan, was incorporated in the United States in 1962. The company has 13 regional service centers that offer unlimited emergency service and support in the U.S.
For more information about JEOL USA, Inc. or any JEOL products, visit www.jeolusa.com, or call 978-535-5900.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for JEOL (Group)
-  JEOL Ltd.. (9/7/16). "Press Release: Release of the New Scanning Electron Microscope JSM-IT300HR InTouchScope"....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (6/2/16). "Press Release: JEOL Highlights New Analytical Technologies at ASMS 2016". Peabody, MA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: Big Picture Plus Analysis from a Small, Compact, and Versatile Benchtop SEM – the JSM-6000PLUS NeoScope from JEOL". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Demonstrates New Analytical Technology at Pittcon 2016". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Debuts InfiTOF Multi-Turn Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer for Real-time Gas Analysis". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: New PhotoIonization (PI) Source and a new Application for JEOL’s Fourth-Generation AccuTOF-GCX High-Resolution GC/Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: Powerful Problem-solving Mass Spectrometer Demonstrations at Pittcon 2016 – JEOL AccuTOF-DART 4G". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Tungsten SEM with Smart Analytical Port Geometry Demonstrated at Pittcon 2016". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (2/22/16). "Press Release: Researchers First to Prove ZIKA Virus Associated with Microcephaly Used JEOL Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) for Imaging Brain Sections"....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (2/3/16). "Press Release: New JEOL »F2« Versatile S/TEM Offers Advanced Analytical Features". Peabody, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]