Document › Details
JEOL USA, Inc.. (12/16/09). "Press Release: JEOL Cryo-TEM to Enable New Structural Biology Research at University of Texas El Paso". Peabody, MA.
|Region||El Paso, TX|
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||JEOL USA Inc.|
|Organisation 2||University of Texas at El Paso|
|Group||University of Texas System|
|Product||JEM-3200FS cryo-electron microscope|
|Product 2||structural biology|
|Person||Corkum, Patricia (JEOL 200903 Marketing Manager JEOL USA)|
The University of Texas El Paso has selected a JEOL cryo-electron microscope for its emerging structural biology program to be housed in a new building planned for completion in 2011 on the UTEP campus. The JEM-3200FS that was ordered from JEOL USA is a 300 keV cryo-TEM with an omega energy filter for increased contrast and high resolution.
The UTEP research program directed by structural biologists Dr. Ricardo Bernal and Dr. Chuan "River" Xiao, will utilize cryo-electron microscopy for single particle reconstructions and tomography.
"This 300 keV field emission gun TEM will provide all the capabilities we need to establish a world class facility at UTEP," Dr. Bernal said. "Our goal is to set up a structural biology program that includes macromolecular NMR, macromolecular X-ray crystallography, and cryo-EM."
Research projects for the new JEOL cryo-TEM include the structure determination of bacteriophages, viruses that infect and kill bacteria, in an effort to find alternatives to antibiotics which are losing their effectiveness due to bacterial resistance. The TEM will also be used to analyze the structure of picornavirus/receptor complexes, responsible for more than 50 percent of all human common colds. Other projects include the structure of ATPases and chaperonins. The expertise of Drs. Bernal and Xiao has resulted in collaborations on more than 12 research projects involving nine researchers across four departments and two universities.
In one of the largest instrumentation grants awarded to UTEP, the National Science Foundation will fund the purchase of the new high resolution, high performance cryo-TEM, which will be shipped from JEOL, Ltd. in Akashima, Japan. The JEM-3200FS will include an optional JEOL Automated Data Acquisition System (JADAS) specially developed for cryo-electron microscopy, and a high tilt tomography cryo-transfer system. The JEM-3200FS combines high resolution and 0-loss sample imaging with analytical performance in a 300kV class analytical TEM. The modular nature of the JEM-3200FS will allow easy adaptation to emerging and promising techniques, such as phase-plate microscopy using Zernike and electro-static phase plates.
"This is one of the JEOL high end TEMs that is gaining widespread use in the U.S. specifically for cryo-tomography. We have worked closely with customers to develop more of the features structural biologists need," said Dr. Thomas Isabell, Director of TEM at JEOL USA.
# # #
JEOL USA, Inc.
JEOL is a world leader in electron optical equipment and instrumentation for high-end scientific and industrial research and development. Core product groups include electron microscopes (SEMs and TEMs), instruments for the semiconductor industry (electron beam lithography and a series of defect review and inspection tools), and analytical instruments including mass spectrometers, NMRs and ESRs.
JEOL USA, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of JEOL, Ltd., Japan, was incorporated in the United States in 1962. The company has 13 regional service centers that offer unlimited emergency service and support in the U.S.
For more information about JEOL USA, Inc. or any JEOL products, visit www.jeolusa.com, or call 978-535-5900.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for JEOL (Group)
-  JEOL Ltd.. (9/7/16). "Press Release: Release of the New Scanning Electron Microscope JSM-IT300HR InTouchScope"....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (6/2/16). "Press Release: JEOL Highlights New Analytical Technologies at ASMS 2016". Peabody, MA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: Big Picture Plus Analysis from a Small, Compact, and Versatile Benchtop SEM – the JSM-6000PLUS NeoScope from JEOL". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Demonstrates New Analytical Technology at Pittcon 2016". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Debuts InfiTOF Multi-Turn Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer for Real-time Gas Analysis". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: New PhotoIonization (PI) Source and a new Application for JEOL’s Fourth-Generation AccuTOF-GCX High-Resolution GC/Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: Powerful Problem-solving Mass Spectrometer Demonstrations at Pittcon 2016 – JEOL AccuTOF-DART 4G". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (3/7/16). "Press Release: JEOL Tungsten SEM with Smart Analytical Port Geometry Demonstrated at Pittcon 2016". Atlanta, GA....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (2/22/16). "Press Release: Researchers First to Prove ZIKA Virus Associated with Microcephaly Used JEOL Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) for Imaging Brain Sections"....
-  JEOL USA, Inc.. (2/3/16). "Press Release: New JEOL »F2« Versatile S/TEM Offers Advanced Analytical Features". Peabody, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]