Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (8/16/16). "Press Release: Waters Recognizes Dr. Sunghwan Kim of Kyungpook National University". Milford, MA.
|Organisation||Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT)|
|Organisation 2||Kyungpook National University (KNU)|
|Product||mass spectrometry (MS)|
|Person||Kim, Sunghwan (Kyungpook National Univ 201608 Professor at Dept of Chemistry)|
|Person 2||Fotheringham, Eric (Waters 201410 Director Waters Centers of Innovation Program)|
Chemistry Professor, an Expert on Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Crude Oil and in the Environment, Joins Waters Centers of Innovation Program
At a ceremony and symposium at Kyungpook National University (KNU), Daegu, South Korea, Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) today welcomed Dr. Sunghwan Kim, of Kyungpooks’ Department of Chemistry into the Waters Centers of Innovation (COI) Program. Dr. Kim is a leading expert on developing and applying analytical techniques for assessing the impact of PAHs in the environment and for crude oil processing. KNU is the first institution in South Korea to be recognized by Waters Centers of Innovation Program.
Taking part in today's ceremony at Kyungpook National University were (l to r) Eric W Fotheringham, Waters Corporation; Rich Youn, GM, Waters Korea; Richard Chang, Vice President, Waters Asia Pacific Operations; Prof. Sunghwan Kim, KNU; and Dongchul Son, President, KNU.
“Professor Kim is an expert in mass spectrometry and chromatographic separation. He set up one of the most advanced mass spectrometry and chromatography laboratories in Korea at Kyungpook National University,” said Professor Hong-In Lee, Dean at College of Natural Science. “The facility is used not only to perform his own top-notch research but also to educate undergraduate and graduate students. I am very proud to have Dr. Kim as a colleague in Kyungpook National University.”
“Dr. Kim’s research is unique and contributing greatly to what we know about the effects of PAHs on our environment,” said Eric Fotheringham, Director – Waters Centers of Innovation Program. “Dr. Kim can see the potential of new technologies and he puts them to new uses before many of his contemporaries. We couldn’t be happier to have him and KNU in our program.”
PAHs are a component of crude oil, coal and gasoline and are a byproduct of wood and fossil fuel combustion. Known as a persistent organic pollutant, once in the environment, they are hard to get rid of and their long-term effects are not well understood. Dr. Kim employs analytical chemistry to test for and identify these pollutants in soil, air and water. It is why, in the aftermath of the BP oil spill in 2010, Dr. Kim was hired to consult on the effectiveness of the clean-up and to assess the harm done to marine and plant life.
For his research, Dr. Kim employs Waters® ACQUITY® UltraPerformance Convergence Chromatography™ (UPC2®) System, Waters ACQUITY UPLC® System and Waters SYNAPT® G2-S Mass Spectrometer.
To acknowledge the work of Dr. Kim, Waters Corporation sponsored a symposium titled Chemical Analysis by Mass Spectrometry: From Non-Polar to Polar Molecules. The event featured presentations on illicit drug screening, petroleum analysis and organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs), and on emerging mass spectrometry techniques including paper spray ionization and flame induced atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry. Presenters included Dr. Hanbin Oh, Sogang University, Seoul, South Korea; Prof. Sangwon Cha, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul, South Korea; Dr. Sungchan Cho, Samsung Displays; Prof. Jentai Shea, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan; along with Kevin Giles, Scientific Fellow, and Eleanor Riches, Principal Scientist at Waters Corporation.
About Kyungpook National University
Kyungpook National University (KNU) is one of the top National Universities in Korea. KNU’s educational mission is to develop students who can contribute to the development and well-being of Korea and global human society. KNU’s research goal is to bring the change and innovation to the world.
About Waters Corporation (www.waters.com)
Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) develops and manufactures advanced analytical and material science technologies for laboratory dependent organizations. For more than 50 years, the company has pioneered a connected portfolio of separations science, laboratory information management, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis systems.
Waters, ACQUITY, ACQUITY UPLC, UPLC, SYNAPT, UPC2, UltraPerformance Convergence Chromatography are trademarks of Waters Corporation.
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160816005741/en/
Source: Waters Corporation
Brian J. Murphy, +1 508-482-2614
Record changed: 2016-09-08
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (3/15/17). "Press Release: Waters Now Offers Proteolabels Software. Product Extends the Functionality of Progenesis QI for Proteomics Applications". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (3/6/17). "Press Release: Waters Introduces Cloud Deployable CDS, New Lines of Thermogravimetric Analyzers at Pittcon 2017". Chicago, IL....
-  Waters Corporation. (2/27/17). "Press Release: Waters Honors Singapore’s Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI) for Glycoscience Research". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/24/17). "Press Release: Waters Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]