Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (6/22/16). "Press Release: MultiModal Molecular Imaging Institute at Maastricht University Joins Waters Centers of Innovation Program". Milford, MA.
Institute Develops Medical Applications for Mass Spectrometry to Understand the Molecular Underpinnings of Cancer and Other Diseases
At a ceremony and symposium at Maastricht University, The Netherlands, Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) officially welcomed the Maastricht MultiModal Molecular Imaging Institute M4I into the Waters Centers of Innovation (COI) Program. Under the direction of Professor Ron Heeren, the institute conducts research into applications for mass spectrometry in three main areas: oncology, neurology and cardiovascular medicine.
On hand to congratulate Maastricht University and Prof. Heeren were (l-to-r) Davy Petit, Senior Director, Marketing, Europe, Middle East, Africa, India, Waters Corporation; Prof. dr. Ron Heeren, Maastricht University; Prof. dr. Martin Paul, President, Maastricht University; Marja van Dieijen, President and CEO of the Executive Board, Maastricht University, and Eric Fotheringham, Director - Strategic Collaboration, Waters Corporation.
“In 2014, we welcomed Ron Heeren in Maastricht to become our university professor. The economy of Limburg benefits greatly from his innovative impulses to scientific developments and Prof. Heeren’s research group is of paramount importance for the growth and development of UM research,” said Prof. Martin Paul, President of Maastricht University. “The M4I Institute, consisting of Heeren’s mass spectrometry lab and Peter Peters’s nanoscopy lab, is already one of the largest imaging centres in Europe. M4I expands already established imaging infrastructures such as Brains Unlimited, and improves Maastricht’s position as an international centre of excellence for human and molecular imaging even further.”
“Prof. Heeren is a true visionary and we are extremely pleased to welcome him into our COI Program,” said Eric Fotheringham, Director of the Waters Centers of Innovation Program. “The fantastic work being done by the MultiModal Molecular Imaging Institute with the help of imaging mass spectrometry gives me a lot of optimism about medical science and the future of health care.”
For its research, the Institute employs three forms of mass spectrometry – mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) coupled with ion mobility and high spectral mass resolution. The scope of Prof. Heeren’s use of imaging mass spectrometry is wide-ranging. He uses it to determine where molecules of all types – lipids, intact proteins, endogenous peptides, drug metabolites – are localized within a tissue sample - and which are found in high concentrations and which are not - all in an effort to improve the understanding of disease progression and regression.
In an interview published in 2014, Prof. Heeren said, “I dare to predict that in ten years’ time, this imaging technique will be a standard diagnostic tool and patients will be assessed on their individual molecular status. We’re already well on the way in oncology, neurology and cardiovascular medicine.”
Precision or personalized medicine is the development of treatments that are attuned to the specific biology of an individual patient. More specifically, by understanding the molecular heterogeneity of tumors and their different cellular phenotypes, precise treatments can be formulated that offer a patient the best chance of a long and healthy life.
To salute the work of Prof. Heeren and the Maastricht MultiModal Molecular Imaging Institute, Waters Corporation sponsored a symposium titled Translational Imaging MS: Molecular Pathology Towards Precision Medicine. The event featured presentations by noted experts in imaging mass spectrometry including Markus Stoekli, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research; Prof. Klaus Dreisewerd University of Münster; Prof. Michel W. F. Nielen, Wageningen University; Dr. Liam McDonnell, Leiden University Medical Center; Professor Zoltan Takats, Imperial College.
About the MultiModal Molecular Imaging Institute
The M4I Division of Imaging Mass Spectrometry is one of the world leaders in high resolution molecular imaging of biological surfaces. The division targets the development and application of state-of-the-art mass spectrometry based molecular imaging approaches for biomedical cellular and tissue research. Main research aim for the coming years is to develop and apply mass spectrometry as a tool for personalized medicine.
About Waters Corporation (www.waters.com)
Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) develops and manufactures advanced analytical and material science technologies for laboratory dependent organizations. For more than 50 years, the company has pioneered a connected portfolio of separations science, laboratory information management, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis systems.
Waters is a trademark of Waters Corporation.
Brian J. Murphy, +1 508-482-2614
Record changed: 2016-07-01
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (3/15/17). "Press Release: Waters Now Offers Proteolabels Software. Product Extends the Functionality of Progenesis QI for Proteomics Applications". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (3/6/17). "Press Release: Waters Introduces Cloud Deployable CDS, New Lines of Thermogravimetric Analyzers at Pittcon 2017". Chicago, IL....
-  Waters Corporation. (2/27/17). "Press Release: Waters Honors Singapore’s Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI) for Glycoscience Research". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/24/17). "Press Release: Waters Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]