Document › Details
Markes International Ltd.. (4/5/16). "Press Release: New Paper in Analytical Chemistry – Select-eV Unravels the Composition of Complex Motor Oils".
|Organisation||Markes International (Group)|
|Organisation 2||University of Birmingham|
|Product 2||Select-eV® ion source|
Researchers at Birmingham University have used Markes’ BenchTOF-Select time-of-flight mass spectrometer in combination with two-dimensional gas chromatography (GC×GC) to improve the separation and identification of hydrocarbons in motor oil.
The paper, entitled ‘Using variable ionisation energy time-of-flight mass spectrometry with comprehensive GC×GC to identify isomeric species’, shows how spectra acquired at 14 eV on BenchTOF-Select can be used to positively identify isomers from the previously unresolved complex mixture (UCM) in these samples.
The paper is the first literature citation of Markes’ new Select-eV technology, which uses revolutionary ion-source technology to generate ‘soft’ electron ionisation spectra without the inconvenience of other approaches to soft ionisation.
The study, reported in the prestigious ACS journal Analytical Chemistry, was conducted under the FASTER program, which aims to monitor atmospheric pollution and establish the link to exhaust emissions.
Dr Mohammed Salim Alam, one of the principal researchers on this project, says Select-eV has “not only allowed us to observe the molecular ions of species, but has also led us to identify the positioning of branching of straight-chain aliphatic isomeric compounds due to their individual unique fragmentation patterns”.
The authors conclude that “the combination of retention times in two dimensions and mass spectra at low and high ionisation energies confers unparalleled power to identify specific isomers within the chromatograms”.
M.S. Alam, C. Stark, and R.M. Harrison, Using variable ionisation energy time-of-flight mass spectrometry with comprehensive GC×GC to identify isomeric species, Analytical Chemistry, 2016, (published online), http://dx.doi.org/0.1021/acs.analchem.5b03122.
About Markes International
Markes International manufactures specialist analytical instrumentation for trace organic analysis. It is renowned as a global market leader for analytical thermal desorption and for developing ground-breaking time-of-flight MS technology for gas chromatography. Markes is a company of the Schauenburg International Group, and has technical support centres in the UK, USA and Germany. For further information on Markes International’s business in general, please email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1443 230935. For all media enquiries, please contact Gavin Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0)1443 230935).
Further information on this research by Birmingham University
http://www.markes.com/Customer-comments/Birmingham-University.aspx – A FASTER approach to air analysis – Using GC×GC with BenchTOF to analyse exhaust particulates
Record changed: 2016-04-06
More documents for Schauenburg (Group)
-  Markes International Ltd.. (10/18/16). "Press Release: Markes International Enhances Its Suite of Thermal Desorption Products with New Sorptive Extraction Technology". Llantrisant....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (9/14/15). "Press Release: Markes International Opens Second USA Office". Llantrisant....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (6/12/15). "Press Release: Markes International Launches Free Soft-EI Spectral Library". Llantrisant....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (12/19/14). "Press Release: Markes International Further Strengthens Its Product Marketing Expertise with New Appointment". Llantrisant....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (6/20/14). "Press Release: Markes Continues to Strengthen Its Position in the Chinese Analytical Instrument Market". Llantrisant....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (5/6/14). "Press Release: Markes Announces Productivity-enhancing Improvements to Its Range of Thermal Desorption Instruments"....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (2/18/14). "Press Release: New Ground-breaking Ion Source Technology for GC-MS Launched at Pittcon 2014"....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (1/28/14). "Press Release: Markes International Shapes the Future of GC-MS by Launching a New Variable-energy Electron Ionisation Technology". Llantrisant....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (9/11/13). "Press Release: Markes International GmbH Opens in Frankfurt, Germany"....
-  Markes International Ltd.. (8/5/13). "Press Release: Markes International Prepares for Further Global Expansion by Strengthening Management Team". Llantrisant....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]