Document › Details
Metabolon, Inc.. (3/18/15). "Press Release: Study Shows Quantose IR Measures Insulin Sensitivity Better Than A1C Test for Prediabetes". Research Triangle Park, NC.
|Organisation 2||University of Texas, Health Science Center (Houston)|
|Group||University of Texas System|
|Product||Quantose™ prediabetes blood test|
|Product 2||hemoglobin test_o|
|Person||Fastenau, Robin (Metabolon 201409 VP Corporate Marketing + Communications)|
|Person 2||Button, Eric (Metabolon 201306 SVP Diagnostics)|
Metabolon, Inc. announced results from a study using samples from the long-term ACT NOW diabetes prevention study of prediabetic subjects. Analysis showed that its Quantose IR™ test tracked changes in insulin sensitivity better than the hemoglobin A1C test in patients treated with the insulin sensitizer, pioglitazone. These results were recently published online by the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
In the ACT NOW study, patients with impaired glucose tolerance were randomized to pioglitazone (45mg/day) or placebo and followed for an average of 2.4 years. Researchers conducted a retrospective study using samples from 210 subjects treated with pioglitazone to assess the clinical validity of Quantose IR for monitoring changes in insulin sensitivity. Quantose IR tracked insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance, with a significant 29 percent improvement in Quantose IR scores in pioglitazone-treated patients. In contrast, A1C scores worsened slightly in the same subjects.
Insulin resistance is a root cause of prediabetes, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and other health conditions. “Identifying and managing insulin resistance play significant roles in guiding interventions to delay or prevent these conditions,” said study investigator Ralph A. DeFronzo, MD, Texas Diabetes Institute, University of Texas Health Science Center. “Until now, though, there were no simple tests to easily identify insulin resistance. Quantose IR appears to be a useful tool to identify and monitor therapy in insulin-resistant patients because of its strong correlation with improved insulin sensitivity and ease of use.”
“The Quantose IR test will help clinicians implement the recently issued American Diabetes Association intervention guidelines for prediabetes,” said Eric Button, senior vice president of diagnostics for Metabolon. “While A1C is an excellent test for measuring changes in glucose, insulin resistance may occur more than 10 years before changes in glucose levels can be seen in a patient. Earlier clinical intervention along the continuum may prevent the progression to type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems.”
About Quantose IR
Quantose IR is a laboratory-developed test (LDT) based on insulin and three non-glycemic biomarkers. It is the first and only test clinically developed and validated to measure insulin resistance. It is a simple, easy-to-use test requiring only a single, fasted blood draw. Clinicians may call 919.572.1711 for more information about Quantose IR.
Metabolon, Inc. is the world’s leading life sciences company focused on metabolomics – an integrative, powerful phenotyping technology for assessing health. Its proprietary platforms and informatics systems are delivering biomarker discoveries, innovative diagnostic tests, breakthroughs in personalized medicine, and robust partnerships in genomics-based health initiatives. Metabolon’s expertise is also accelerating research and product development for more than 650 clients across the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, consumer products, agriculture and nutrition industries, as well as academic and government organizations. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, the company has conducted more than 3,500 independent and collaborative studies, resulting in over 400 peer-reviewed publications. For more information, please visit www.metabolon.com or follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter.
Cautionary Note about Forward-Looking Statements
The materials provided herein that are not historical facts are or might constitute projections and other forward-looking statements regarding future events that involve substantial risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If any of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or if any of these assumptions prove to be incorrect, Metabolon’s results could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by any forward-looking statements. The risks, uncertainties and assumptions referred to above include, but are not limited to: the uncertainties inherent in biochemical research and development; decisions by regulatory authorities regarding whether and when to approve diagnostic tests; the clinical utility of Metabolon’s metabolomic services; Metabolon’s and its distributors’ ability to successfully commercialize and market both new and existing products; governmental laws and regulations affecting health care, including access, pricing and reimbursement of diagnostic tests; the strength of Metabolon’s intellectual property portfolio; Metabolon’s history of operating losses; whether Metabolon is able to achieve or sustain profitability; its highly competitive industry; its ability to compete effectively; security and privacy risks; and Metabolon’s ability to continue to innovate and provide products and services that are useful to its clients, among other risks, uncertainties and assumptions.
Vice President, Corporate Communications
Record changed: 2016-06-07
More documents for Metabolon (Group)
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (12/5/16). "Press Release: Metabolon Raises Additional $15 Million in Funding from Essex Woodlands". Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (9/28/16). "Press Release: Metabolon Launches Meta IMD Test to Speed Diagnosis of Inherited Metabolic Disorders". Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (8/11/16). "Press Release: Metabolon Closes $15 Million Financing to Support Precision Medicine Growth Opportunities". Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  Muses Labs. (7/13/16). "Press Release: Metabolon and Muses Labs Partner to Apply Metabolomics to Alzheimer’s Disease". Raleigh, NC....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (3/29/16). "Press Release: Metabolon and Synlab Group Form Commercialization Collaboration for Quantose IR Diagnostic". Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (7/6/15). "Press Release: Darin Leigh Joins Metabolon as Chief Commercial Officer". Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (6/1/15). "Press Release: Sciex and Metabolon Launch the Lipidyzer Platform for Complete Lipid Analysis, from Sample to Biology". Framingham, MA & Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (3/5/15). "Press Release: Metabolon Separates Board Chairman & CEO Roles. Independent Director Santo J. Costa Elected Chairman of the Board". Research Triangle Park, NC....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (9/3/14). "Press Release: Metabolon and Baylor College of Medicine Partner to Launch Global Metabolomic-Assisted Pathway Screen (MAPS) for Inborn Errors of Metabolism". Research Triangle Park, NC & Houston, TX....
-  Metabolon, Inc.. (5/13/14). "Press Release: Metabolon Enters into Collaboration with GSK". Research Triangle Park, NC....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]