Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (6/1/15). "Press Release: New-Generation System Redefines Performance for GC-MS Applications. First to Combine Gas Chromatography and High-resolution Accurate-mass (HRAM) Orbitrap Mass Spectrometry". St. Louis, MO.
|Region||St. Louis, MO|
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||University of Wisconsin–Madison|
|Group||University of Wisconsin System|
|Product||Q Exactive™ GC system|
|Product 2||ASMS 2015 St. Louis|
|Index term 2||UCT Prague–Thermo Fisher: mass spectrometer, 201506 supply Q Exactive GC hybrid TQ-Orbitrap GC-/MS/MS Jana Hajslova is early user|
|Person||Guazzotti, Sergio (Thermo Fisher 201506 Director Marketing GC-MS)|
|Person 2||Hajslova, Jana (Institute of Chemical Technology 201009 Professor Dept Food Chemistry and Analysis)|
First to combine gas chromatography and high-resolution accurate-mass (HRAM) Orbitrap mass spectrometry for most comprehensive characterization in a single analysis
Laboratories performing food safety and authenticity, pharmaceutical, metabolomic, anti-doping and other analyses using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) can now achieve new levels of performance using high-resolution accurate-mass (HRAM) Orbitrap mass spectrometry, bringing the highest level of detection and identification capabilities to GC-MS studies.
The new Thermo Scientific Q Exactive GC hybrid quadrupole-Orbitrap GC-MS/MS instrument represents the first-ever commercial system offering a combination of gas chromatography and HRAM Orbitrap mass spectrometry. This system is designed to provide the comprehensive characterization of samples in a single analysis for increased performance in compound discovery, identification and quantitation.
"Scientists all over the world have made tremendous scientific progress over the past decade using Orbitrap-based mass spectrometry with liquid chromatography,” said Sergio Guazzotti, director of marketing, GC-MS, Thermo Fisher Scientific. “Now, we are unlocking the power of Orbitrap technology for gas chromatography, providing GC-MS users with high resolving power and mass accuracy to deliver a deeper understanding of their samples than ever before.”
The Q Exactive GC system will be exhibited for the first time at the 63rd Annual American Society for Mass Spectrometry Conference, Booth 140, and at the Landmark Suite at the Renaissance Hotel in St. Louis.
Early field collaborations with scientific leaders explored the application of this technology for both research and applied laboratories. Professor Joshua Coon, PhD, University of Wisconsin, Madison, applies GC-MS to metabolomic studies to understand complex biological systems. "While the LC-MS field has advanced rapidly over the past several years, largely driven by the impact of the Orbitrap mass analyzer, GC-MS could not offer comparable mass resolution and accuracy,” said Dr. Coon. “The introduction of the Q Exactive GC system is a game changer in this space. The combination of fast, predictable GC separations with accurate mass capabilities will translate to an increased ability to profile entire metabolomes."
Professor Jana Hajslova of the University of Chemical Technology, Prague, Czech Republic, is interested in food authenticity and origin as well as contaminant screening. "Our experience has shown us that the Q Exactive GC definitely brings a new level of performance into GC high-resolution mass spectrometry,” said Hajslova.
The Q Exactive GC system brings together qualitative and quantitative analyses by combining the high-precision, full scan HRAM capability of Orbitrap technology with the quantitative power of GC triple quadrupole technology. The system builds upon the flexible modularity of the Thermo Scientific TRACE 1300 Series GC, including user-exchangeable injectors and detectors. In laboratory tests, the Q Exactive GC system has shown quantitative capability equivalent to high-performing GC-MS triple quadrupole systems, especially when comparing analytical parameters such as sensitivity, precision and linearity.
This technology is designed to advance chemical analyses within laboratories limited by currently available full scan GC-MS technologies, such as time-of-flight (TOF) and quadrupole-time-of-flight (Q-TOF) mass spectrometry, or comparable technologies. Thermo Fisher Scientific expects the Q Exactive GC system will be useful for untargeted profiling experiments because it can add new capabilities to screening in food safety, forensic toxicology and anti-doping.
For more information on the Q Exactive GC system visit www.thermoscientific.com/QExactiveGC.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Marcia Goff, +1 508-902-7041
Kristen Slawinski, + 1 312-997-2436
Record changed: 2016-06-07
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]