Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/8/09). "Press Release: Identifying Dioxins in Pork Products. Thermo Fisher Scientific Solutions Successfully Identify Dioxins in Pork Products". San José, CA.
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Product||DFS High Resolution double-focusing magnetic sector GC/MS|
|Product 2||TSQ Quantum™ mass spectrometer (product series)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, announced that its high-resolution gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC/MS) solutions are suitable for dioxin analysis in foods. In light of public concern over the safety of food, particularly as a result of the Irish pork contamination, government agencies and food processors are selecting instruments that can accurately identify and contain the spread of dioxins in the global food supply.
On December 6 2008, the Irish Government recalled all pork products made in the Republic of Ireland after the discovery of dioxins in slaughtered pigs. This was followed by an announcement from the Chinese government on December 9 banning all imports of pork from Ireland after some of the meat was found to be contaminated with elevated levels of the chemicals. Dioxins are a group of chemicals formed during combustion processes, such as waste incineration and are known to increase the likelihood of cancer with long term exposure.
The European Commission and the US EPA have set maximum levels for dioxins in food. Tests on some of the Irish pork products showed that they contained up to 200 times more dioxins than the recognized safety limit. The directives require limits of quantitation (LOQ) to be 80% lower than the lowest reported level in the US EPA Method 1613 Rev.B [3-7]. This requires more demanding detection limits, selectivity and sensitivity to confirm their presence along with tools that manage data and can detect problems earlier in the process.
The Thermo Scientific DFS High Resolution GC/MS (HRGC/HRMS system) achieves these lower levels of detection required with dioxins. Even difficult sample types with heavy matrix effects can be successfully analyzed. In addition, the Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum GC can be employed to screen for dioxins. By identifying foods that do not contain dioxins, the number of samples that must be analyzed using HRGC/HRMS is reduced, significantly lowering the cost for laboratories to conduct these analyses.
"Thermo Fisher Scientific is dedicated to making the world a healthier, cleaner and safer place," comments Dr. Stuart Cram, who is leading the Food Safety Program within Thermo Fisher Scientific. "Our capabilities in dioxin analysis and detection exemplify the technological capabilities of Thermo Fisher Scientific, while our commitment to food safety in terms of support and consulting will enable scientists to address these contamination issues as they occur".
The comprehensive Thermo Scientific offering includes a wide range of sample collection, sample preparation, instrumentation and data management products focused on the needs of Food Safety. In addition, a broad portfolio of chemicals, consumables and equipment and supply chain services are available through the Fisher Scientific brand.
For the latest information about Thermo Fisher Scientific solutions and the wide range of applications for food safety, please e-mail email@example.com or visit www.thermo.com/foodsafety.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual revenues of $10 billion, we have more than 30,000 employees and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]