Document › Details
Owlstone Medical. (6/28/16). "Press Release: Owlstone Medical Closes $7M (£4.9M) Investment to Commercialize Disease Breathalyzer". Cambridge.
|Organisation||Owlstone Medical Ltd.|
|Organisation 2||Medtekwiz Advisory Ltd.|
|Product 2||private equity|
|Index term||Owlstone–SEVERAL: investment, 201606 financing round £4.9m for spin-out of Owlstone Medical led by Medtekwiz Advisory|
|Person||Boyle, Billy (Owlstone 201606 CEO + Co-Founder of Owlstone Medical Ltd)|
|Person 2||Toumazou, Christofer (Chris) (DNA Electronics 201011 CEO)|
Investment will fund ongoing clinical trials in lung and colon cancer screening
Owlstone Medical Ltd, a diagnostics company, has been spun out of parent company, Owlstone Inc, to develop and commercialize a breathalyzer for use in clinical diagnostics and precision medicine with applications in cancer, inflammatory and infectious disease.
Based in Cambridge, UK, the Company announced today that it has successfully raised $7 million (£4.9 million) financing. The investment round was led by Medtekwiz Advisory Ltd and will be used to fund ongoing clinical trials of the breathalyzer in lung and colon cancer screening.
Owlstone Medical has been created to leverage proprietary and proven Field Asymmetric Ion Mobility Spectrometry (FAIMS) technology for the advancement of a disease breathalyzer. FAIMS measures volatile organic compound (VOCs) metabolites in patient’s breath or bodily fluids which are specific to disease. Measurement of VOC biomarkers allows diagnosis of disease at a very early stage, to enable more effective treatment and better patient outcomes.
Owlstone Medical is managed by a highly experienced team and supported by world-renowned experts in lung cancer diagnosis. Billy Boyle, Co-founder and CEO at Owlstone Medical, is an engineering graduate from Cambridge University and one of the original co-founders of Owlstone Inc, which was spun out of Cambridge University in 2004 and has raised $28M in investment and won in excess of $25M in engineering grants largely from the US Military.
Billy Boyle commented: “Securing this funding is further validation of our technology, and we are excited to progress our vision to revolutionize the detection and diagnosis of cancer, infectious and inflammatory diseases. The breathalyzer we are developing provides clinicians with a highly sensitive, non-invasive diagnostic, which will enable early detection and improve patient outcomes. We are also working with pharma partners to develop non-invasive companion diagnostics to better match patients to treatment for emerging personalised therapies.”
Regius Professor Christofer Toumazou, advisor to Medtekwiz and recently appointed to the Owlstone Medical Board, said: “I am delighted to have joined the Board and to be involved at such a milestone in the development of the Company. With the investment, I look forward to seeing a step change in the way serious disease can be diagnosed and monitored, and particularly for colon and lung cancer, which are two of the biggest cancer killers worldwide.”
Owlstone Inc CEO and Owlstone Medical board member, Bret Bader commented: “We are very pleased to have completed this transaction with Medtekwiz. Owlstone Inc has developed a revolutionary platform technology that promises to change the delivery of chemical detection solutions in markets that range from defense to medical diagnostics. This transaction and the creation of Owlstone Medical is a template for our strategy of creating market specific spin outs in order to take a focused approach to solve profound problems.”
The potential of the technology to enable rapid detection of disease, without the need for costly, invasive medical procedures, has seen Owlstone Medical recently awarded the Business Weekly Astra Zeneca-MedImmune Life Science Innovation award. In February, the Company won an NHS contract for STRATA, adapting its disease breathalyzer technology for precision medicine and companion diagnostics and prior to that, it was awarded a $1.4 million (£1 million) NHS contract for LuCID (Lung Cancer Indicator Detection) to use FAIMS technology in the early detection of lung cancer.
To find out more about Owlstone Medical visit: www.owlstonemedical.com
Notes to Editors
Billy Boyle, CEO, Owlstone Medical.
Regius Professor Christofer Toumazou, Non-executive Director, Owlstone Medical
For high resolution images please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please contact:
Sarah Jeffery, Zyme Communications
+44 (0)7771 730919
About Owlstone Medical: www.owlstonemedical.com
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease. With a focus on non-invasive diagnostics for cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease, the company aims to save 100,000 lives and $1.5B in health care costs by 2020.
The company’s microchip FAIMS (Field Asymmetric Ion Mobility Spectrometer) sensor is a platform technology that can be programmed in software to detect targeted biomarkers of disease in breath (and other bodily fluids). FAIMS can be used in clinical diagnostics and precision medicine with application in cancer and a wide range of other medical conditions. Highly sensitive and selective, these tests allow for early diagnosis when treatments are more effective and where more lives can be saved.
Owlstone Medical is currently developing tests for lung and colorectal cancer, two of the most common cancer killers worldwide. The company also sells R&D tools and services to academic, clinical and pharma partners who want to develop breath based diagnostics for their own applications.
Founded in 2004 as a spin-out from the Engineering Department at the University of Cambridge University, Owlstone Inc is a profitable business selling it’s proven FAIMS technology to military and industrial customers globally. Owlstone Medical was spun out from Owlstone Inc in 2016 to develop and commercialise FAIMS in diagnostic applications.
Owlstone Medical is headquartered in Cambridge, UK, with offices in London, UK.
About Medtekwiz Advisory:
Medtekwiz is a private investment fund that invests in companies developing and commercializing disruptive medical technologies. With an advisory office in London, the Fund represents a network of pioneering entrepreneurs and world class business leaders that invest internationally.
Record changed: 2016-10-01
More documents for Owlstone (Group)
-  Owlstone Medical. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Owlstone Medical and Imperial College Collaborate to Study Underlying Causes of Asthma Exacerbations". Cambridge....
-  Owlstone Medical. (10/4/16). "Press Release: Owlstone Medical Receives CE Mark Approval for Pediatric Disease Breathalyzer". Cambridge....
-  Owlstone Medical. (9/22/16). "Press Release: Owlstone Medical Commences Next Phase in World’s Largest Breath-based Clinical Trial for Early Cancer Detection". Cambridge....
-  Owlstone Medical. (8/25/16). "Press Release: Owlstone Medical Strengthens Management Team. Chris Hodkinson, Dr Marc van der Schee and Hamilton Scanlon Join the Company". Cambridge....
-  Owlstone Inc.. (2/16/16). "Press Release: Owlstone Medical Wins NHS Contract for STRATA, Adapting Its Disease Breathalyzer technology for Precision Medicine and Companion diagnostics (CDx)". Cambridge....
-  Owlstone Nanotech. (6/16/14). "Press Release: Owlstone Introduces UltraFAIMS for Improved Mass Spectrometry". Cambridge & Norwalk, CT....
-  Owlstone Nanotech. (5/13/14). "Press Release: Owlstone Secures Share of £12.7m SBRI Healthcare Funding to Develop Lung Cancer Diagnostic Technology"....
-  Owlstone Nanotech. (7/23/10). "Press Release: Owlstone Nanotech Receives R&D100 Award. Owlstone Nanotech, Inc., in Partnership with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Has Been Selected as One of the 2010 R&D100 Award Winners". Suffern, NY....
-  Advance Nanotech, Inc.. (6/15/10). "Press Release: Owlstone Presents Pharmaceutical Application Data on Ultra-FAIMS". Montebello, NY....
-  Advance Nanotech, Inc.. (5/20/10). "Press Release: Owlstone Receives Industrial Application Development Order from Global Food Processing Company". Montebello, NY....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]