Document › Details
Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/16/09). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Life Science Disease Research Portfolio with Eurofins MWG Operon Asset Purchase". Santa Clara, CA.
|Product||mass spectrometry technology|
|Product 2||PCR technology|
|Person||Salem, Gustavo (Gus) (IDEX 201605 Group President of IDEX Health & Science before Siscapa + Agilent + Assay Designs)|
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today announced it has purchased the MassCode Tag technology from Eurofins MWG Operon, a division of Eurofins. The purchase includes the MassCode trademarks and intellectual property, including four families of patents. Agilent will use MassCode Tag technology to develop new research products for pathogen identification, leveraging its strength in polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and mass spectroscopy. Under the agreement, Eurofins MWG Operon will continue as a supplier of the core component for the new products.
A fast, sensitive and inexpensive tool, MassCode Tags can be used to screen for specific pathogens that may be present in a biological sample. MassCode Tags are small molecules, each with a unique molecular weight. In MassTag PCR, individual tags are attached to DNA primers that correspond to microbial sequences. The primers are then used to amplify nucleic acid isolated from biological sample using PCR. The tags are released by applying UV irradiation, and mass spectroscopy is then used to identify the corresponding tags. The mass spectroscopy detection technique is highly multiplexed, faster and more sensitive than traditional detection technologies utilized for PCR analysis. Investigators at the Center for Infection and Immunity in the Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, developed the MassTag PCR application.
"By acquiring this technology and moving it forward, Agilent is creating a new solution that enables mid-range multiplex screening for the life science research market," said Gustavo Salem, Agilent vice president and general manager, Biological Systems Division. "This technology addresses a key need by reducing the cost to screen for a large number of pathogens that might be present in a given sample and will accelerate the life science research workflow."
"We are pleased that Agilent recognized the value of this technology and has made a commitment to ensuring that it will be available for public health research," said Ian Lipkin, M.D., John Snow professor of Epidemiology at Columbia University.
Dr. Lipkin, along with Dr. Thomas Briese, associate professor of Epidemiology at Columbia, have used this technology in their research to further innovative techniques of pathogen identification and discovery for unexplained respiratory infections, viral hemorrhagic fevers, and meningoencephalitis.
The patents Agilent has purchased cover differing aspects of the MassCode Tag technology and are valid in 34 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Japan, and China.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in communications, electronics, life sciences and chemical analysis. The company's 17,000 employees serve customers in more than 110 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $4.5 billion in fiscal 2009. Information about Agilent is available on the Web at www.agilent.com.
About Eurofins MWG Operon
Eurofins MWG Operon, a member of the Eurofins Group with major offices and production facilities in Europe, the United States, and Asia, is an international provider of DNA sequencing services, DNA synthesis products, and bioinformatic services for academic and industrial research. The company's strength is its strong customer orientation, fast service, and high quality. For further information, please visit our website at: www.operon.com.
# # #
+1 408 553 2005
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]