Document › Details
Bruker Corporation. (11/16/09). "Press Release: AREVA T&D and Bruker Energy & Supercon Technologies (BEST) Announce Successful First Test Results for a 13 MVA Shielded, Inductive Superconduction Fault Current Limiter (SFCL)". Paris & Hanau.
|Organisation||Bruker Energy & Supercon Technologies Inc. (BEST)|
|Group||Bruker Corporation (Group)|
|Product||laboratory equipment and instruments|
|Person||Prause, Burkhard (Bruker 200903 CEO Bruker Advanced SuperCon + Managing Director Bruker HTS + EAS)|
AREVA's Transmission and Distribution (T&D) division and Bruker Energy & Supercon Technologies (BEST) have successfully designed, built and tested a single module of a 13 MVA (2000 A, 6.4 kV) single-phase, shielded-type inductive superconducting fault current limiter (SFCL) at the AREVA T&D Technology Centre in Stafford, UK. The design utilizes a proprietary cryogenic module incorporating BEST's 2nd generation high-temperature superconductors.
Increasing demand for electricity and the restructuring of the power transmission system resulting from deregulation and the increased level of distributed and renewable energy generation can lead to fault current levels above the capability of existing switchgear. A viable solution is to install a current-limiting device that is self-triggering, rapidly-activated within a few milliseconds and fail-safe.
As a result of the tests in Stafford, the following conclusions were drawn:
* The SFCL module limited a prospective 68.5 kApeak fault to 9 kApeak in five milliseconds (¼ cycle)
* Fault current after five cycles (before circuit breaker opening) was reduced by a factor of 10
* The SFCL exhibits fast recovery after a short circuit fault (less than 200 milliseconds) and is expected to withstand a large number of limitation sequences
Commenting on the successful collaboration with BEST on these tests, Gerhard Seyrling, Innovation & Performance Improvement Senior Vice President of AREVA T&D, said, "This product addresses issues with high fault currents that our customers are very concerned with in their networks. We intend to work with BEST to create an industrialized product which will make our customers' grids smarter and further enable integration of distributed generation. This breakthrough technology is set to play an increasingly important role in the future development of smart grids."
"Based on these excellent test results, the feasibility of operation for our shielded, inductive SFCL has been demonstrated, paving the way for future commercialization," said Dr. Burkhard Prause, President and CEO of BEST. "The SFCL certainly meets the expectations for reliability and durability of the most demanding utilities, while at the same time it is a true 'smart grid' device with its ability to rapidly react and recover independent of outside control or triggering."
ABOUT AREVA T&D
All over the world, AREVA provides its customers with solutions for carbon-free power generation and electricity transmission. With its knowledge and expertise in these fields, the group has a leading role to play in meeting the world's energy needs. Ranked first in the global nuclear power industry, AREVA's unique integrated offering covers every stage of the fuel cycle, reactor design and construction, and related services. In addition, the group is developing a portfolio of operations in renewable energies. AREVA is also a world leader in electricity transmission and distribution and offers its customers a complete range of solutions for greater grid stability and energy efficiency. Sustainable development is a core component of the group's industrial strategy. Its 75,000 employees work every day to make AREVA a responsible industrial player that is helping to supply ever cleaner, safer and more economical energy to the greatest number of people. AREVA's T&D division is an active player around the globe. It designs, manufactures and supplies a complete range of equipment, systems and services for all stages in the transfer of electricity, from the generator to the large end-user. For more information on AREVA T&D, please visit: www.areva-td.com.
About Bruker Energy & Supercon Technologies, Inc.
Bruker Energy & Supercon Technologies, Inc. (BEST) is a subsidiary of Bruker Corporation (NASDAQ: BRKR). BEST is a world-leading supplier of superconductors as well as superconducting components and devices for alternative energy, smart grid, 'big science', industrial and healthcare applications. BEST solutions have the potential to enhance the reliability and efficiency of electrical power grids and large energy demanding applications. The product range encompasses the world's broadest portfolio of high performance superconductors, superconducting magnets and devices for industrial and research applications, as well as accelerator technologies, including turn-key systems. For more information on BEST, please visit: www.bruker-est.com.
AREVA T&D Press Office
Kirsty Bouysset, + 33 1 34 96 31 91
Beatrice Garcia, + 33 1 34 96 62 90
Bruker EST Press Contact
Tom Rosa, +1 978-901-7550
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Bruker Corporation (Group)
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of CMO InVivo Biotech to Expand Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Pathology Consumables and Assay Business". Berlin....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of SCiLS GmbH to Advance MALDI Imaging Software Solutions for Life Science, Pharma and Pathology Research Applications". Bremen....
-  Bruker Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Bruker Corporation to Present at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Billerica....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bruker Delivering 300 Hand-held Chemical Detectors to German BBK". Leipzig....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/16/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Acquisition of Active Spectrum Micro-ESR Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (12/2/16). "Press Release: Bruker Announces Corporate Partnership with International Phenome Centre Network (IPCN) for NMR Technologies and SOPs". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Bruker AXS Introduces a New Member to the D8 ADVANCE Family — the D8 ADVANCE Plus". Boston, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Bruker Completes Acquisition of Preclinical PET Imaging Business". Billerica, MA....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Bruker and Oxford Instruments Announce Acquisition of Oxford Instruments Superconducting Wire Business by Bruker's BEST Segment". Billerica, MA & Tubney Woods....
-  Bruker Corporation. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Cetim Facility Receives Bruker Contour CMM Dimensional Analysis System". San José, CA & Senlis....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]