Document › Details
BioTrove, Inc.. (11/10/09). "Press Release: BioTrove Announces Formation of Subsidiary. RapidFire Business Unit to Become BIOCIUS Life Sciences Inc.". Woburn, MA.
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||Life Technologies Inc.|
|Today||Life Technologies Corporation|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Product||RapidFire™ Mass Spectrometry system|
|Product 2||RapidFire™ Lead Discovery (service)|
|Index term 2||BioTrove–Life Technologies: investment, 200911–200912 acquisition €na|
|Person||Özbal, Can (BIOCIUS 200912– COO before BioTrove General Manager RapidFire products)|
Biotrove announced today that it is forming a wholly owned subsidiary named BIOCIUS Life Sciences to hold the assets of the RapidFire Business Unit. Upon completion of Life Technologies proposed acquisition of BioTrove, also announced today, BIOCIUS Life Sciences will be spun-out as an independent operating company.
The current BioTrove investors will continue to support the BIOCIUS subsidiary and proposed eventual spin-out. Led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Leathe, Rapid Fire's experienced team of innovative scientists and engineers will also remain intact. According to Mr. Leathe, "Effective at the closing of the proposed sale of Biotrove to Life Technologies, BIOCIUS, through the RapidFire brand, will intensify its focus on pioneering new efforts toward eliminating bottlenecks in the drug discovery pipeline. We plan to expand our portfolio of products and service capabilities--creating additional value for our many pharma and biotech customers. BIOCIUS has a strong pipeline of products and services and will be well capitalized and positioned in the marketplace to continue as a technology leader in drug discovery solutions."
The RapidFire business unit is comprised of solid, propriety technologies and the proposed formation of BIOCIUS is a logical, strategic step to foster rapid growth. RapidFire almost doubled its 2008 sales, successfully launching the RF 300 system for in vitro ADME; expanding geographically by installing several systems across Europe and Canada, and by entering a distribution arrangement in Asia. "This is a wonderful opportunity for the RapidFire team to focus on our clients, scientific collaborations and business goals," said Dr. Can 'Jon' Özbal, BIOCIUS Chief Operating Officer and former Vice President of the RapidFire Business Unit. "We can now exclusively drive the high-throughput screening portfolio and concentrate on our application areas of Lead Discovery and in vitro ADME. The entire team that has been the dynamic force behind the RapidFire brand will move to BIOCIUS, ensuring a smooth transition for our clients and business partners."
BIOCIUS Life Sciences will continue to offer contract research services for lead discovery and CYP Inhibition on the RapidFire platform as well as RapidFire instrumentation; customers can expect business as usual. Used by 13 of the top 15 pharmaceutical companies, RapidFire mass spectrometry greatly decreases the bottlenecks that occur during drug discovery. By enabling automated sample preparation at a rate of up to six seconds per sample and integrating seamlessly to the mass spectrometer, RapidFire enhances high-throughput screening of candidate drug compounds and in vitro ADME assays. RapidFire allows for the analysis of a wide range of otherwise intractable targets such as triglycerides, lipids, fatty acids, prostaglandins, steroids, coenzyme A derivatives, neurotransmitters, epigenetic targets, anti-fungals and anti-infectives, which are difficult to study using traditional methods such as fluorescence or radiolabels.
Mr. Jeffrey Leathe, Chairman and CEO and Dr. Can Özbal, COO will be holding a conference call for interested parties on November 11th at 11:00 am EST. Dial-in details are available on the BIOCIUS Life Sciences website, www.BIOCIUS.com.
About Biotrove, Inc.
BioTrove, Inc. offers two innovative technology platforms: OpenArray®, which advances genomic research in a wide range of life science fields, including agriculture, disease research, and public health, and RapidFire®, which enables the acceleration of drug discovery and pipeline decisions. With 11 of the 12 largest biopharmaceutical companies based on global sales as clients, and partnerships with prestigious research and public health centers around the world, BioTrove's products and services ensure that an industry committed to accuracy and speed can meet business goals.
About BIOCIUS Life Sciences, Inc.
Named from the Greek word "BIO" (life) and the Latin word "OCIUS" (faster), BIOCIUS Life Sciences, a wholly owned subsidiary of BioTrove, Inc. provides the biopharmaceutical industry with faster answers: Products and services committed to speed and accuracy to help exceed business goals. The RapidFire system feeds samples directly to the mass spectrometer, requiring no labels or surrogates, helping to eliminate the bottleneck of samples that require screening in the drug discovery process. RapidFire Mass Spectrometry is routinely used in many applications including the high-throughput screening of previously intractable drug targets and in vitro ADME assays.
Jennifer M. Rossi, PhD
Director of Marketing
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]