Document › Details
PerkinElmer, Inc.. (8/31/09). "Press Release: PerkinElmer Launches First-in-class Test Kit to Measure Multiple Steroids Simultaneously for Diagnosis of Hormone and Endocrine Disorders". Bremen.
|Organisation||PerkinElmer Inc. (NYSE: PKI)|
|Organisation 2||Porter Novelli Inc.|
|Product||Child Health System (CHS™) Steroid Profiling Kit and Data Suite software for LC-MS/MS|
|Product 2||LC/MS (liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry)_other|
|Person||Sundell, Ann-Christine (PerkinElmer 200810 President Genetic Screening)|
|Person 2||Beeckmans, Hugo (Porter Novelli 200908)|
CHS(TM) Steroid Profiling Kit and Data Suite Software Delivers Faster and More Accurate Results for Endocrine Testing in Children and Adults
At the 18th Annual International Mass Spectrometry Consortium meeting held in Bremen, Germany (http://www.imsc-bremen-2009.de/), PerkinElmer, Inc. (http://www.perkinelmer.com/) today announced the introduction of the Company's new Child Health System (CHS(TM)) Steroid Profiling Kit and Data Suite software. The kit is the first commercial clinical endocrinology assay that can simultaneously measure ten different steroids in biological samples. This advanced measurement methodology is also the first commercial kit designed for liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) to accurately measure steroids for diagnosing hormone imbalances or endocrine diseases in both children and adults.
Tandem mass spectrometry is a highly specific and extremely sensitive technique used to identify and measure compounds based on their molecular weight, or mass. It is increasingly being used by clinical laboratories as a diagnostic technique due to this sensitivity and specificity as well as its reproducibility. MS/MS is used worldwide in newborn screening for the simultaneous detection of more than 40 different steroid hormones and metabolites to diagnose and prevent disease.
Current methods to profile steroids require separate assays to generate a complete patient profile. The patient and physician often wait for the return partial profile results before beginning subsequent tests, which require additional blood draws and can delay a definitive diagnosis. Accurate, high throughput, multiplex testing by MS/MS has the potential to improve and accelerate disease diagnosis for many patients, given that up to 25 percent of the population will require steroid testing for endocrine disorders during their lifetime.
"As the global leader in utilizing tandem mass spectrometry for newborn screening, deploying our expertise to support childhood and adult health is a natural next step within our spectrum of care," said Ann-Christine Sundell, president, Genetic Screening, PerkinElmer. "The development of our CHS kit demonstrates our commitment to creating first-in-class scientific solutions for earlier diagnoses that improve medical outcomes."
Studies have shown that mass spectrometry provides improved specificity and sensitivity over immunoassays, which is important for detecting low steroid levels mainly seen in children. The CHS Steroid assay and its software are designed for clinical laboratories to aid physicians in obtaining steroid measurements for recognizing and diagnosing diseases affecting the adrenal glands, ovaries, testes, and placenta. The test can also be used for both children and adult samples.
PerkinElmer's CHS Steroid Profiling Kit requires a small sample size of 100ul and provides analyte specific controls and internal standards plus specialized and qualified calibrators. Because tandem mass spectrometry generates large amounts of data, PerkinElmer is introducing labor saving data solutions via the dedicated CHS Data Suite Software which will enable laboratory researchers to evaluate and easily analyze patient results. The CHS Steroid Profiling Kit and its software are expected to be available for sale this fall in countries outside the United States.
As part of PerkinElmer's activities at the International Mass Spectrometry Consortium, PerkinElmer Genetic Screening will hold a Steroid Profiling Workshop on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 14:00 CET.
For more information on the workshop or the new CHS Steroid kit, please visit http://www.perkinelmer.com/ChildHealth
About PerkinElmer, Inc.
PerkinElmer, Inc. is a global leader focused on improving the health and safety of people and the environment. The Company reported revenue of approximately $2 billion in 2008, has around 8,500 employees serving customers in more than 150 countries, and is a component of the S&P 500 Index. Additional information is available through http://www.perkinelmer.com or 1-877-PKI-NYSE.
PerkinElmer Contact: Henri Storm, +358-22-678-284, Henri.Storm@perkinelmer.com;
Media Contact: Hugo Beeckmans, +32-478-45-95-95, email@example.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for PerkinElmer (Group)
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (12/22/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer to Sell Medical Imaging Business to Varian Medical Systems". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (12/14/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer to Present at J.P. Morgan 35th Annual Healthcare Conference". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (11/21/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer to Present at Citi Global Healthcare Conference". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (11/14/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer to Present at Piper Jaffray Healthcare Conference". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (11/7/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (10/26/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer Board Declares Quarterly Dividend". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer Elects Samuel Chapin to Board of Directors". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (10/10/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer's New QSight Triple Quadrupole LC/MS/MS System Delivers High Sensitivity and Enhanced Productivity for Analytical Labs". Waltham, MA & Shanghai....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (9/26/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer Announces New Organizational Structure". Waltham, MA....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (9/1/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer to Present at Morgan Stanley Global Healthcare Conference". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]