Document › Details
Varian, Inc.. (1/19/10). "Press Release: Varian, Inc. Completes World’s First Actively Shielded 7 Tesla Whole-body Research MRI Magnet. New Technology Expands Site Options for MRI Researchers". Palo Alto, CA.
|Country||United Kingdom (GB)|
|Organisation||Varian Inc. (Nasdaq: VARI)|
|Organisation 2||United States (govt)|
|Product||magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)|
|Product 2||MRI system|
|Person||O’Donoghue, Martin (Varian 200911 SVP Scientific Instruments)|
Varian, Inc. (NasdaqGS: VARI) announces the successful completion of the world's first actively shielded 7 Tesla whole-body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) magnet. Ultra High Field (UHF) MRI at 7T offers unmatched resolution, enabling researchers to visualize exquisite anatomical and functional detail in the human brain or other organs.
Clinical MRI systems use actively shielded magnets at 1.5 or 3 Tesla. Until now, however, UHF MRI magnets have typically required 400 to 800 tons of surrounding iron to form a magnetic shield. This amount of iron must be built into the fabric of the building, limiting the number of sites that can accommodate a UHF MRI research system. Extending active shielding technology to 7 Tesla magnets will allow these powerful research instruments to be more widely available.
The Varian, Inc. Magnet Technology Centre in Oxford, UK has manufactured over 80% of the world's UHF MRI magnet systems. This, the world's first 7 Tesla actively shielded magnet, was commissioned by a US government research facility to demonstrate engineering leadership with the goal of having the technology adopted by clinical MRI system vendors. The magnet will be commissioned at its final site in the US in early 2010.
Varian's Senior MRI Magnet Designer, Rory Warner, stated that the factory tests results were very pleasing. "The new 7T actively shielded magnet performs as expected. It exhibits all the excellent homogeneity and stability characteristics that we had designed for," he said.
"Varian's whole-body 7T magnet allows researchers to advance our understanding of human biology with more detailed images," said Martin O'Donoghue, Senior Vice President, Scientific Instruments, Varian, Inc. "Our active shielding technology makes this powerful tool accessible to a much larger number of scientists and institutions."
For more technical information about Varian products, please visit http://www.varianinc.com/products/
About Varian, Inc.
Varian, Inc. is a leading worldwide supplier of scientific instruments and vacuum technologies for life science, environmental, energy, and applied research and other applications. The company provides complete solutions, including instruments, vacuum products, laboratory consumable supplies, software, training and support through its global distribution and support systems. Varian, Inc.'s common stock is traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol "VARI." Further information is available on the company's Web site at http://www.varianinc.com/.
For More Information, Contact:
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Agilent (Group)
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Present at 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/20/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies to Acquire Multiplicom N.V., a Leading European Diagnostics Company with State-of-the-Art Genetic Testing Technology and Products". Santa Clara, CA & Niel....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/12/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Bioengineering Researcher Rohit Bhargava of University of Illinois Cancer Center". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and Transcriptic Collaborate to Automate Discovery Biology". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Opens Folsom Technology Center. New Facility Includes Laboratory, Order Fulfillment and Warehousing Space". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/28/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Presents Thought Leader Award to Influential Clinical Genomics Researcher". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/17/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Increases Cash Dividend to 13.2 Cents per Share". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/15/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Reports Fourth-Quarter 2016 Results". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies Expands Data Processing Offering for Molecular Pathology. Cartagenia Bench Addresses Inherent Challenges of Somatic Variant Assessment". Santa Clara, CA....
-  Agilent Technologies Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Agilent Technologies and PureHoney Technologies to Develop New Applications for RapidFire/MS System". Santa Clara, CA & Acton, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]