Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (12/6/05). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces One-Step, 15-Minutes Method to Confirm Perchlorate at PPT Levels in Water". Milford, MA.
|Organisation||Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT)|
|Organisation 2||EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) (US)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product||LC/MS (liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry)|
|Product 2||API-TOF Mass Spectrometer|
Waters Corporation today announced a complete LC/MS/MS solution to confirm perchlorate in drinking and irrigation water at levels below the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (USEPA) official reference dose of 0.0007 mg/kg/day. Perchlorate interferes with thyroid iodine intake which causes hypothyroidism, a condition affecting the entire body's metabolism.
Waters method combines a simple chromatographic separation technique using an anion exchange column, ammonium bicarbonate/acetonitrile mobile phase, and MS/MS detection. From injection to injection, the entire process takes 15 minutes to confirm perchlorate at parts per trillion (ppt) levels.
Due to careless use and improper disposal, water-soluble perchlorate can migrate through aquifers and surface water, contaminating soil, drinking and irrigation water. Perchlorate is cumulative so daily consumption of food and water tainted by perchlorate creates in vitro concentrations above safe levels.
"As the toxic effects of perchlorate become better known, the need to confirm its presence at low ppt levels grows," stated James Willis, Ph.D., Director of the Chemical Analysis Market Development group at Waters Corporation. "Regulatory agencies and laboratories now have a one-step method to confirm the presence of perchlorate at levels lower than what the USEPA mandates," he said.
Perchlorate has been detected in higher-than-expected levels in thirty-five of the fifty U.S. states. Just recently, this chemical was discovered in a well that supplies drinking water for the Spofford Pond School in the town of Boxford, Massachusetts. The levels detected were higher than the state's threshold.
Perchlorate is found in fertilizers and in applications such as tanning and leather finishing, rubber manufacturing, paint and enamel production, lubricant oil additives and in solid rocket propellant.
Waters LC/MS/MS Perchlorate Method
Waters chemists have designed a method that combines chromatographic selectivity and mass spectrometry specificity and sensitivity without requiring sample prep. The method uses Waters IC-Pak™ Anion/HR chemistry, Waters Alliance® HPLC and Waters Quattro micro™ API mass spectrometer. The anion exchange column separates all the compounds in a water sample. The ammonium bicarbonate/acetonitrile mobile phase chromatographically positions trace perchlorate levels between macro levels of chloride and sulfate typically found in food and water. For more information, please refer to the application note, "The Determination of Perchlorate in Water Using LC/MS/MS", PN 720000941EN in the company's technical literature library.
This method is the basis of the U.S. Federal Drug Administration CFSAN perchlorate method and was adapted by the National Food Processors Association. It is also equivalent with USEPA Method 331. For more information on Waters solutions including applications for environmental, food and beverage, polymers, food safety and nutraceuticals, please visit: www.waters.com.
About Waters Corporation
Waters Corporation holds worldwide leading positions in three complementary analytical technologies: liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, and thermal analysis. These market segments account for $4.5 - $5.0 billion of the overall $20+ billion analytical instrumentation market.
Waters and Alliance are registered trademarks and IC-Pak and Quattro micro are trademarks of Waters Corporation.
Certain statements contained herein are forward looking. Many factors could cause actual results to differ from these statements, including delays in product introductions, loss of market share through competition, introduction of competing products by other companies, pressures on prices from competitors and/or customers, regulatory obstacles to new product introductions, lack of acceptance of new products, changes in the healthcare market and the pharmaceutical industry, changes in distribution of the Company's products, and foreign exchange fluctuations. Such factors are discussed in detail in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and, in particular, the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2004.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Waters Expands Cortecs Analytical Column Portfolio". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Vicam Now Offers a Single Extraction Test for Aflatoxins and Fumonisins in Corn and Grain". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Waters and Sotax Group Sign Co-Marketing and Re-Seller Agreement". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Waters Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]