Document › Details
AMETEK, Inc.. (10/10/16). "Press Release: ProMaxion Mass Spectrometer Proven Accurate and Effective in Determing Flare Gas Hot Values". Pittsburgh, PA.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||AMETEK Process Instruments|
|Organisation 2||EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) (US)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product||ProMaxion quadrupole process mass spectrometer|
By January 2019, petroleum refiners will need to comply with new US Environmental Protection Agency flare stack combustion rules that will include additional monitoring and analysis requirements making it necessary for operators to quickly and accurately determine the heat values of flare stack gases.
Refiners are vetting various technologies for analyzing and monitoring flare stack gases to narrow the field of applicable and reliable technologies ahead of that deadline. Among them is mass spectrometry as utilized by the ProMaxion quadrupole process mass spectrometer from AMETEK Process Instruments.
The capabilities of the ProMaxion versus competitive technologies already were field demonstrated by a leading Southern California refinery that needed to meet similar regulations that were promulgated by the California Air Quality Management Board. That field experience demonstrated that the ProMaxion offered more detailed and relevant data faster than gas chromatography and that it provided BTU numbers that were the equivalent of those provided by a calorimeter, but with greater specificity.
The ProMaxion had the speed and specificity necessary to calculate the appropriate amount of make-up gas for complete combustion. The ProMaxion was set up to monitor and quantify 16 components in the flare gas stream, including H2, N2, methane, ethane, propane, n-butane, i-butane and pentanes among others.
Taking advantage of its analysis speed, the ProMaxion was able to obtain an accurate calculation in less than 10 seconds, which was more than 10 times faster than using a chromatograph.
By modifying the standard process mass spectrometry method of analysis slightly, the ProMaxion provided fast and accurate BTU content measurement even when confronted with a widely changing flare gas stream. The analysis technique allowed for a reduction in calibration complexity, while still providing data that fell comfortably within the specified error band.
The ProMaxion used ASTM method D 2650-04 (Standard Test Method for Chemical Composition of Gases by Mass Spectrometry) to calculate the concentrations of individual gas components. The resulting data was then converted into the flare gas heat value as described in ASTM D3588-98 (Standard Practice for Calculating Heat Value, Compressibility Factor and Relative Density of Gaseous Fuels).
Proprietary software provides for easy set-up, operation and calibration, combined with advanced alarm and automation capabilities. The ProMaxion’s modular design and self-diagnostic capabilities ensure ease of maintenance. The instrument is housed in a stainless steel enclosure (general purpose or C1, D2 area classification).
About AMETEK Process Instruments
AMETEK Process Instruments is a unit of AMETEK, Inc., a leading global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electromechanical devices. It offers the industry’s most extensive line of process instruments with analyzers based upon eleven differentiated technology platforms for markets ranging from oil and gas, and power to pharmaceutical and semiconductor manufacturing.
The ProMaxion additionally draws on AMETEK’s more than 25 years of experience in mass spectrometer design and manufacture as well as nearly 40 years of experience in the design and development of sophisticated process analyzers.
For more information, contact AMETEK Process Instruments, 150 Freeport Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15238. Phone: (412) 828-9040. Fax: (412) 826-0399. Web site: www.ametekpi.com
Record changed: 2016-11-04
More documents for AMETEK (Group)
-  AMETEK, Inc.. (11/4/16). "Press Release: AMETEK to Present at Baird’s 2016 Global Industrial Conference". Berwyn, PA....
-  AMETEK, Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: AMETEK Announces Third Quarter 2016 Results". Berwyn, PA....
-  AMETEK, Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: AMETEK Completes Private Placement Offering. Note Offering of 500 Million Euros and 225 Million British Pounds". Berwyn, PA....
-  AMETEK, Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: AMETEK Acquires Laserage Technology Corporation. Leader in Laser Fabrication for Medical Device Market". Berwyn, PA....
-  Spectro Analytical Instruments GmbH. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Spectro Introduces New Spectroblue ICP-OES Analyzer with Powerful New Generator for Ultra-Precise Analysis, Higher Productivity". Kleve....
-  Spectro Analytical Instruments GmbH. (10/20/16). "Press Release: Dr. Christoph Mätzig Named Managing Director, Spectro Analytical Instruments". Kleve....
-  AMETEK, Inc.. (8/4/16). "Press Release: AMETEK Completes Two Acquisitions. Nu Instruments Adds to Position in High-End Elemental Analysis – HS Foils Brings Unique Technology to Materials Analysis Business". Berwyn, PA....
-  Blue Scientific Ltd.. (1/15/16). "Press Release: Blue Scientific Now Exclusive Distributor for Ametek in Ireland"....
-  Spectro Analytical Instruments GmbH. (1/21/15). "Press Release: New Spectro Arcos High-resolution ICP-OES Spectrometer for Elemental Analysis Surpasses Performance Limitations". Kleve....
-  AMETEK, Inc.. (8/5/14). "Press Release: Ametek Announces Two Acquisitions. Amptek, Inc. Broadens Ametek’s Materials Analysis Capabilities – Luphos GmbH Adds Unique Technology to Ametek’s Metrology Platform". Berwyn, PA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]