Document › Details
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (4/25/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces License Agreement with Yale. New Technology for Detecting Malignant Melanoma Skin Cancer". Morgantown, WV.
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc. (OTCQB:PRGB) (“Protea”) announced today that it had entered into an exclusive license agreement with Yale University for new technology to improve the differential diagnosis of malignant melanoma.
The test in development makes use of a new technology known as “Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Imaging (MSI)”. The technology was developed jointly by the laboratory of Rossitza Lazova, MD, Associate Professor of Dermatology and Pathology at Yale School of Medicine and the laboratory of Erin Seeley, PhD., Clinical Imaging Principal Investigator at Protea Biosciences.
In October 2015 scientists at Yale and Protea presented the results of their first clinical study at the 52nd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Dermatopathology (ASDP), held in San Francisco, CA. The sensitivity and specificity of the new method were shown to be 99%, and the test correctly classified all cases of malignant melanoma and benign melanocytic nevi.
“We are pleased to be working with Dr. Lazova at Yale, to develop this test that employs unique protein expression profiles that discriminate between benign melanocytic nevi and malignant melanomas,” stated Steve Turner, Protea’s CEO. He added, “We believe our technology will lead to the discovery of other clinically useful protein biomarker panels that can aid in the differential diagnosis of other cancer types.”
“Mass Spectrometry Imaging is an objective and reliable method that may be helpful in difficult cases, in which rendering a definitive diagnosis of either benign nevus or malignant melanoma may be very difficult. The identification of protein expression profiles, which discriminate between benign melanocytic nevi and malignant melanomas, has led to the discovery of a set of clinically useful tumor biomarkers that can be incorporated into standard diagnostic and treatment strategies,” commented Dr. Rossitza Lazova, from the Yale School of Medicine.
Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Imaging enables the direct molecular profiling of cells and tissues; specific proteins can be identified, localized in tissue, then displayed, both as 2D or 3D molecular images. Hundreds of molecules can be identified in a single analysis, and results are rapidly available. Protea is a primary commercial provider of mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) services.
Melanoma is the leading cause of death from skin disease. One American dies every hour of melanoma. The National Cancer Institute estimates 73,870 Americans will be diagnosed with melanoma in 2015. Melanoma is the fifth most common cancer in men and the sixth most common cancer in women in the United States. Definitive diagnosis of melanoma requires biopsy and experienced pathological review of the specimen. An established diagnosis of malignant melanoma can be made only after histopathological review. There are globally approximately three million skin biopsies annually to rule out the presence of melanoma; of these approximately 25% are “indeterminate” or “unknown”. Complicating the diagnosis of melanoma is the understanding that many of the same histologic features can be seen in benign melanocytic nevi, or common moles.
About Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.:
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc. (OTCQB:PRGB) is a molecular information company providing innovative bioanalytical solutions to the pharmaceutical and life science industries. "Molecular information" refers to the generation and bioinformatics processing of very large data sets, obtained by applying the Company's technology to identify and characterize the proteins, metabolites, lipids and other biologically-active molecules which are the byproducts of all living cells and life forms. The company provides proprietary molecular information services to its clients in the pharmaceutical and life science industries. The Company is applying its technology to the development of next generation, "direct molecular imaging" technology and service capabilities that enable more rapid and comprehensive molecular profiling of human disease.
This press release may contain statements relating to future results or events, which are forward-looking statements. Words such as "expects", "intends", "plans", "may", "could", "should", "anticipates", "likely", "believes" and words of similar import may identify forward-looking statements. These statements are not historical facts, but instead represent only the Company's belief regarding future events, many of which, by their nature, are inherently uncertain and outside of the Company's control. It is possible that the Company's actual results and financial condition may differ, possibly materially, from the anticipated results and financial condition indicated in these forward-looking statements. Further, information concerning the Company and its business, including factors that potentially could materially affect the Company's business and financial and other results, are contained in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, available at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements included in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release, and we do not undertake any obligation to publicly update or correct any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that subsequently occur or of which we hereafter become aware.
Protea is a registered trademark of Protea Biosciences Group, Inc
For more Information:
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.,
1311 Pineview Dr., Morgantown, WV 26505 USA
Record changed: 2016-06-23
More documents for Protea Biosciences (Group)
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces Third Quarter 2016 Results. Revenue YTD Increased 24% Over 2015". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Protea Appoints David Halverson as President". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (8/16/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces Second Quarter 2016 Results. Revenue 20% over Q1 2016". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (5/16/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces First Quarter 2016 Results. Revenue Increases 22% over Q1 2015". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (4/19/16). "Press Release: New Potential Lung Cancer Biomarkers Identified. Protea Technology Used for Live Lung Cancer Cell Molecular Profiling". New Orleans, LA....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (3/16/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces 2015 Year End Results. Bioanalytical Services Revenue Increases 84% over Prior Year". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (2/17/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces Collaborative Partnership With Protein Metrics. Protea to Use Novel Proteomics Software to Support Biopharma Research". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (2/2/16). "Press Release: Protea to Present at the BIO CEO & Investor Conference in New York City February 8 at 8:30 AM ET". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (12/8/15). "Press Release: Protea Announces Biopharm Industry Collaboration. Collaboration with Agilent to Address Biopharm Workflow Challenges". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (6/1/15). "Press Release: Protea Launches New Mass Spec Technology. Novel Silicon Chip Rapidly Identifies Small Molecules in Biofluids". St. Louis, MO....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]