Document › Details
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (4/19/16). "Press Release: New Potential Lung Cancer Biomarkers Identified. Protea Technology Used for Live Lung Cancer Cell Molecular Profiling". New Orleans, LA.
|Region||New Orleans, LA|
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Protea Biosciences Group Inc.|
|Group||Protea Biosciences (Group)|
|Organisation 2||West Virginia University (WVU)|
|Product||mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) (MALDI imaging)|
|Product 2||biomarker discovery technology|
|Person||Seeley, Erin (Protea 201404– Senior Lead Scientist MS Imaging before Vanderbuilt Univ)|
|Person 2||Turner, Stephen (Steve) (Protea Biosciences 201002 CEO)|
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc., (OTCQB:PRGB) announced the use of its proprietary bioanalytical technology to achieve the molecular profiling of live tumor cells while they are under treatment.
A Team of scientists from Protea and The West Virginia University Cancer Institute presented their results today at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting 2016 currently underway in New Orleans. The presentation, titled “Mass Spectrometry Imaging Determines Biomarkers of Early Adaptive Precision Drug Resistance in Lung Cancer”, identifies molecular changes occurring within drug resistant lung cancer cells. The research used the Company’s proprietary mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) workflows to rapidly identify molecular changes occurring within residual tumor cells.
“Drug resistance emergence is a common problem that limits long term outcome benefits in the era of precision cancer therapy,” commented Erin Seeley, PhD., Clinical Imaging Principal Investigator at Protea. She added, “Today we present the use of our mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) technology to interrogate the biomolecular changes occurring within residual tumor cells under precision treatment with ALK-specific kinase inhibitor treatments.”
“Using Protea’s MSI technology, our team discovered several metabolites that were changing over a time course of treatment. Peptides were detected that showed differentiation with over 98% accuracy between treated and untreated xenograft tumors (FFPE); also MSI analysis of frozen tumors allowed for detection of the precision therapy drug, as well as lipids that were changing in expression as a result of treatment.”
A common problem in the treatment of cancer is that the tumors become resistant to the drug with which they are being treated. The earlier the resistance is detected, the sooner the patient can be switched to a different therapy, thus increasing their chances of treatment success and cure. The research presented by Protea and WVU scientists at the AACR Annual Meeting profiles the biomolecules being expressed (peptides, lipids, metabolites) in a mouse xenograft model and a cell line model of lung cancer that both show resistance to treatment with a particular class of drugs, known as kinase inhibitors. The ability to rapidly identify the specific molecular changes that occur when a tumor becomes resistant to treatment will help guide the development of improved treatment strategies.
Further studies are planned to validate the use of the biomarkers to identify drug resistance in lung cancer. Protea’s mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) technology facilitates rapid interrogation of the molecular changes occurring within tumor cells, generating data within minutes on changes in the production of specific molecules in the tumor cells.
About Protea Biosciences
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc. (OTCQB:PRGB) is a molecular information company providing innovative bioanalytical technology to the pharmaceutical and life science industries. "Molecular information" refers to the generation and bioinformatic processing of very large molecular data sets, obtained by applying the Company's proprietary technology to identify and characterize the proteins, metabolites, lipids and other biomolecules which are the byproducts of all living cells and life forms.
This press release may contain statements relating to future results or events, which are forward-looking statements. Words such as "expects", "intends", "plans", "may", "could", "should", "anticipates", "likely", "believes" and words of similar import may identify forward-looking statements. These statements are not historical facts, but instead represent only the Company's belief regarding future events, many of which, by their nature, are inherently uncertain and outside of the Company's control. It is possible that the Company's actual results and financial condition may differ, possibly materially, from the anticipated results and financial condition indicated in these forward-looking statements. Further, information concerning the Company and its business, including factors that potentially could materially affect the Company's business and financial and other results, are contained in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, available at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements included in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release, and we do not undertake any obligation to publicly update or correct any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that subsequently occur or of which we hereafter become aware.
Protea and LAESI are registered trademarks of Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.
For more Information:
Protea Biosciences Group, Inc., 1311 Pineview Dr., Morgantown, WV 26505 USA
Record changed: 2016-06-23
More documents for Protea Biosciences (Group)
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (11/22/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces Third Quarter 2016 Results. Revenue YTD Increased 24% Over 2015". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Protea Appoints David Halverson as President". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (8/16/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces Second Quarter 2016 Results. Revenue 20% over Q1 2016". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (5/16/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces First Quarter 2016 Results. Revenue Increases 22% over Q1 2015". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (4/25/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces License Agreement with Yale. New Technology for Detecting Malignant Melanoma Skin Cancer". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (3/16/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces 2015 Year End Results. Bioanalytical Services Revenue Increases 84% over Prior Year". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (2/17/16). "Press Release: Protea Announces Collaborative Partnership With Protein Metrics. Protea to Use Novel Proteomics Software to Support Biopharma Research". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (2/2/16). "Press Release: Protea to Present at the BIO CEO & Investor Conference in New York City February 8 at 8:30 AM ET". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (12/8/15). "Press Release: Protea Announces Biopharm Industry Collaboration. Collaboration with Agilent to Address Biopharm Workflow Challenges". Morgantown, WV....
-  Protea Biosciences Group, Inc.. (6/1/15). "Press Release: Protea Launches New Mass Spec Technology. Novel Silicon Chip Rapidly Identifies Small Molecules in Biofluids". St. Louis, MO....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]