Document › Details
AB Sciex. (6/29/11). "Press Release: AB SCIEX Aids Food Testing Laboratories' Response to Rising Concerns about the Latest Wave of Food Contamination". Framingham, MA.
|Organisation||AB Sciex LLC|
|Organisation 2||Taiwan (govt)|
|Product 2||food analysis (food testing)|
|Person||Anacleto, Joe (Bruker 201312 VP of Market Development before AB SCIEX + Life Technologies)|
|Person 2||Petrucci, Anthony (Philanthropy 201404– Director Communications before Danaher 20101–201404 Director Global PR)|
Leader in mass spectrometry offers new test method to scientists and lab analysts to identify the plasticizer chemical phthalate amid a toxic-additive crisis emerging in Asia
In light of widespread recalls of potentially harmful phthalate-tainted food and beverage products in Asia, AB SCIEX, a global leader in life science analytical technologies, is responding by equipping food safety investigators with a new method designed to accurately identify the harmful plasticizer chemical recently found in some clouding agents, which are commonly used in a variety of products, including fruit jelly, juices, sports drinks and yogurt mix powder. Public health officials and consumer protection groups are strongly urging increased testing in an effort to prevent more contaminated products being sold to consumers.
News of the discovery of products adulterated by variations of the toxic plasticizer chemical called phthalate first emerged from Taiwan in recent weeks. In the aftermath, investigations led to a significant amount of food and drink products being taken off store shelves and destroyed. Public reports allege that one or more food manufacturers had added this banned industrial plasticizer to an emulsifier as a cheap substitute for palm oil.
Government officials in Taiwan and Hong Kong, as well as an increasing number of other countries, continue comprehensive testing and analysis to ensure human health is protected from this latest wave of contamination to threaten the global food supply. Standardizing the test methodology helps ensure the reliability and reproducibility of results.
The new AB SCIEX method to test for phthalate is designed to increase the accuracy and reduce the amount of time to identify the harmful food contaminant from days or hours to potentially minutes. This new method is based on tandem mass spectrometry, which is used in laboratories for molecular analysis, including food testing. The AB SCIEX food testing method for phthalate is the first available method to test for this toxic-additive with this advanced technology. This is an advancement over other techniques, such as gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, which requires extensive sample preparation and longer run times.
AB SCIEX has a successful track record of enabling food testing laboratories to identify food contaminants, such as addressing the global food safety crisis resulting from melamine contamination in 2007. In collaboration with academic scientists, the company had been first at the time to deliver a food testing method for melamine and cyanuric acid. Building upon this experience of disseminating proven test methods quickly, AB SCIEX developed this new method this month as a means of assisting laboratories to test for phthalate in a single analysis with immediate confirmation of accurate results.
By using the AB SCIEX method, food testing technicians can analyze a broader range of food in less time. As part of the solution, AB SCIEX mass spectrometers reduce the complexity and give users the ability to more efficiently take advantage of the high sensitivity and speed of QTRAP technology with MRM3 capabilities. Going forward, food testing laboratories can also gain a new level of selectivity in their analysis by adopting the latest innovation in mass spectrometry - SelexION technology - to help ensure the highest possible accuracy currently available.
Joe Anacleto, Vice President and General Manager of the Applied Markets and Clinical Research Business, AB SCIEX
"AB SCIEX continues to play an active role in assisting government agencies and food producers to ensure a safe food supply. AB SCIEX technology is able to identify virtually any food additive used to try to mask the presence of a harmful chemical. If a contaminant is in food or beverages, our QTRAP and SelexION technologies are more than capable of pushing the limits of detection to identify and quantify it. This is critical for a proper response to protect consumers."
AB SCIEX food testing application
AB SCIEX mass spectrometry portfolio
About AB SCIEX
AB SCIEX helps to improve the world we live in by enabling scientists and laboratory analysts to push the limits in their field and address the complex analytical challenges they face. The company's global leadership and world-class service & support in the mass spectrometry industry have made it a trusted partner to thousands of the scientists and lab analysts worldwide who are focused on basic research, drug discovery & development, food & environmental testing, forensics and clinical research. With over 20 years of proven innovation, AB SCIEX excels by listening to and understanding the ever-evolving needs of its customers to develop reliable, sensitive and intuitive solutions that continue to redefine what is achievable in routine and complex analysis. For more information, please go to www.absciex.com. Follow AB SCIEX on Twitter @ABSCIEX and on Facebook.
AB Sciex Instruments Are For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures. The trademarks mentioned herein are the property of AB Sciex Pte. Ltd. or their respective owners. AB SCIEXTM is being used under license.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Danaher (Group)
-  Tecan Group Ltd.. (1/10/17). "Press Release: Tecan Appoints Klaus Lun Head of the Life Sciences Business Division". Männedorf....
-  Bayer AG. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bayer Develops Companion Diagnostic Test for Cancer Patients Together with Leica Biosystems [Not intended for U.S. and UK Media]". Leverkusen....
-  Danaher Corporation. (12/1/16). "Press Release: Danaher Announces Leadership Appointment". Washington, DC....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: New Clarity Columns Refine RP and IEX Chromatographic Analysis of Synthetic Oligonucleotides". Torrance, CA....
-  Pressure BioSciences, Inc.. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Pressure BioSciences, Inc. Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results and Provides Business Update". South Easton, MA....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (11/10/16). "Press Release: Sciex Supports Vital Cancer Prevention Research through Partnership with World Cancer Research Fund". Framingham, MA....
-  Danaher Corporation. (11/4/16). "Press Release: Danaher Completes Acquisition of Cepheid". Washington, DC....
-  Danaher Corporation. (10/31/16). "Press Release: Danaher to Present at Baird Industrial Conference". Washington, DC....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (10/27/16). "Press Release: Scientists Eradicate Leukemic Stem Cells by Targeting Cell Survival Proteins. Sciex Mass Spectrometry-based Solutions Lead to Leukemia Breakthroughs". Framingham, MA....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Phenomenex Adds Polar Mixed-Mode Selectivities to Luna LC Column Line". Torrance, CA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]