Document › Details
AB Sciex. (9/13/10). "Press Release: AB Sciex and the University of Melbourne Partner to Develop Breakthrough Approach to Drug Metabolism Studies of Biopharmaceuticals". Foster City, CA.
Joint project to help advance protein-based drugs through regulatory processes
AB SCIEX, a global leader in life science analytical technologies, and the University of Melbourne today announced a joint technology development project to improve drug metabolism studies of biopharmaceuticals. This project is focused on developing a standardized testing methodology based on a breakthrough approach that scientists at the University of Melbourne pioneered on the AB SCIEX QTRAP® 5500 System as the life science industry’s first way to follow the fate of the breakdown of protein-based drugs in vivo. This approach could help drug discovery scientists better determine the effectiveness and safety of peptide and protein therapeutic agents that are advanced through regulatory processes and ultimately sold on the consumer market.
Biopharmaceutical development is the fastest-growing area within the pharmaceutical industry. Approximately one-third of all pipeline products in active development are biopharmaceuticals. Regulatory requirements for assessments of these protein-based drugs, or biologics, are expected to rapidly evolve, requiring a description of a drug’s metabolism and how it may affect overall elimination of the drug from the body. The way it metabolizes can significantly affect the drug’s efficacy and safety.
Drug discovery scientists currently do not have the ability to follow the fate of the breakdown of protein-based drugs in vivo without knowing what they are ahead of time. Providing this capability is critical for advancing drug metabolism studies of biopharmaceuticals. To address this need, scientists at the University of Melbourne invented a new approach using mass spectrometry to do these tests and are partnering with AB SCIEX with the goal of making the new solution available to any scientist conducting these types of studies.
Large biopharmaceutical companies as well as pharmaceutical companies with growing biopharma operations have already provided positive feedback about this mass spectrometry-based approach. To ensure that the new solution meets the evolving requirements for drug discovery and development, AB SCIEX will continue to engage with biopharmaceutical scientists around the world to obtain feedback, share scientific insight and refine the novel approach.
This development project is based on AB SCIEX mass spectrometry technology. The team of developers is customizing the approach for QTRAP technology as well as the AB SCIEX TripleTOF™ 5600 System, which is the industry’s fastest and most sensitive high-resolution mass spectrometer for high-performance qualitative and quantitative analysis. As part of the project, the developers are developing a new workflow and creating specialized software to centrally manage it, giving drug discovery scientists more control.
Anthony Purcell, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Senior Research Fellow and a Principal Investigator at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute at the University of Melbourne “Targeting the unknown breakdown products of a biologic without knowing what they are is revolutionary in the biopharmaceutical industry. The technology we are developing with AB SCIEX will give scientists the unique ability to produce metabolism profiles for peptide and protein drugs that the industry simply cannot do right now. This is essential for advancing an increasing number of biopharma drugs to market.”
Dave Hicks, Vice President and General Manager of the Pharmaceutical and Omics Business, AB SCIEX “AB SCIEX is driving the exploration of unique new workflows that will continue to aid pharmaceutical scientists. We are building on our more than 20 years as a trusted partner in drug discovery and development. Teaming up with distinguished scientists in academia enables us to combine our best-in-class technologies with innovative ideas. Our long-standing relationship with the University of Melbourne gives us the opportunity to help advance biopharmaceutical development with a novel way to conduct metabolism studies “
AB SCIEX protein research solutions
AB SCIEX mass spectrometry portfolio
About AB SCIEX
AB SCIEX is a global leader in the development of life science analytical technologies that help answer complex scientific challenges. The company provides scientific instrumentation, software and services used to discover new drugs, advance medical science and protect the food supply and the environment. AB SCIEX technology solutions combine the highest performance with the highest reliability to enable our customers to fuel scientific discovery, deliver results with confidence and improve the quality of life. The company has a more than 20-year history of innovation and market leadership as the former Applied Biosystems/MDS Analytical Technologies joint venture. For more information about AB SCIEX, go to www.absciex.com. Follow AB SCIEX on Twitter @ABSCIEX and on Facebook.
Social Media Tags
AB SCIEX, mass spectrometry, biopharmaceutical, drug metabolism, therapeutic agent, protein, peptide drug, QTRAP, metabolize
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures. The trademarks mentioned herein are the property of AB Sciex Pte. Ltd. or their respective owners. AB SCIEXTM is being used under license.
Anthony Petrucci Senior Manager, Public Relations & Communications 508.383.7961 email@example.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Danaher (Group)
-  Tecan Group Ltd.. (1/10/17). "Press Release: Tecan Appoints Klaus Lun Head of the Life Sciences Business Division". Männedorf....
-  Bayer AG. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bayer Develops Companion Diagnostic Test for Cancer Patients Together with Leica Biosystems [Not intended for U.S. and UK Media]". Leverkusen....
-  Danaher Corporation. (12/1/16). "Press Release: Danaher Announces Leadership Appointment". Washington, DC....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: New Clarity Columns Refine RP and IEX Chromatographic Analysis of Synthetic Oligonucleotides". Torrance, CA....
-  Pressure BioSciences, Inc.. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Pressure BioSciences, Inc. Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results and Provides Business Update". South Easton, MA....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (11/10/16). "Press Release: Sciex Supports Vital Cancer Prevention Research through Partnership with World Cancer Research Fund". Framingham, MA....
-  Danaher Corporation. (11/4/16). "Press Release: Danaher Completes Acquisition of Cepheid". Washington, DC....
-  Danaher Corporation. (10/31/16). "Press Release: Danaher to Present at Baird Industrial Conference". Washington, DC....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (10/27/16). "Press Release: Scientists Eradicate Leukemic Stem Cells by Targeting Cell Survival Proteins. Sciex Mass Spectrometry-based Solutions Lead to Leukemia Breakthroughs". Framingham, MA....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Phenomenex Adds Polar Mixed-Mode Selectivities to Luna LC Column Line". Torrance, CA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]