Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/18/10). "Press Release: Scottish Metabolomics Facility Equipped with Cutting-edge Thermo Scientific Technology to Advance the Field of Metabolomics".
|Country||United Kingdom (GB)|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||Scottish Metabolomics Facility (ScotMet, University of Glasgow)|
|Group||University of Glasgow|
|Product||LTQ Orbitrap Velos™ mass spectrometer|
|Product 2||Exactive™ LC/MS system|
|Index term||Scottish Metabolomics Facility–Thermo Fisher: mass spectrometer, 201003 supply installation of one LTQ Orbitrap Velos with ETD + FAIMS source|
|Index term 2||Scottish Metabolomics Facility–Thermo Fisher: mass spectrometer, 2007 supply LTQ Orbitrap|
|Person||Burgess, Karl (Univ Glasgow 201003 Prof + ScotMet)|
|Person 2||Watson, Dave (Univ Strathclyde 201003 Prof + ScotMet)|
Scottish Metabolomics Facility (ScotMet) is a state-of-the-art facility run jointly by the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced it is providing the Scottish Metabolomics Facility (ScotMet) with cutting-edge technology to advance the field of metabolomics. ScotMet is funded by the Scottish Universities Life Science Alliance (SULSA) and is a state-of-the-art facility run jointly by the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde. The facility combines mass spectrometry, separations technology and bioinformatics. ScotMet, which already used Thermo Fisher instruments, will now install four Thermo Scientific mass spectrometers, including an LTQ Orbitrap™ Velos with ETD and FAIMS source, a DSQ-II GC/MS and two Exactive™ LC/MS benchtop instruments.
The superior mass accuracy and sensitivity of the LTQ Orbitrap Velos, equipped with the multiple fragmentation modes available (CID, HCD, ETD and PQD), will allow researchers to rapidly accelerate their research. In addition, for high throughput metabolite screening experiments, the fast polarity switching of the Exactive allows effective data collection in positive and negative modes.
ScotMet is run by Dr Karl Burgess at the University of Glasgow. According to Dr Burgess, "Metabolomics allows us to understand relationships between the small molecules that drive biological systems, giving us insights into cancer and other serious illnesses. ScotMet had already implemented a Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap and following the success of this instrument, we looked to Thermo Fisher Scientific to provide additional instrumentation."
Dr. Dave Watson at the University of Strathclyde stated: "We've had excellent results over the past three years of undertaking metabolomics experiments with the Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap, and the addition of the LTQ OT Velos, Exactives and GC/MS capability will expedite existing projects and extend the range of important biological and medical problems with which we can work."
The executive director of SULSA, Dr. Jennifer Bell, explained, "Metabolomics is important to systems biology and systems medicine. ScotMet aims to provide a world-class facility staffed by experts in metabolomics who work closely with leaders in the fields of genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics to offer training, sample analysis and collaboration on experimental design and data handling. This advances the growing field of metabolomics and to support systems initiatives across Scotland."
For more information about Thermo Scientific mass spectrometry solutions including the LTQ Orbitrap Velos and Exactive LC/MS as well as other Thermo Scientific products, please call +1 800-532-4752, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.thermo.com/metabolomics.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of more than $10 billion, we have approximately 35,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]