Document › Details
Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc.. (6/4/08). "Press Release: The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Shimadzu Corporation Announce a Collaborative Research Agreement to Develop New Analytical Platforms for the Detection and Analysis of Cancer-
|Organisation||Shimadzu Scientific Instruments Inc. (SSI)|
|Organisation 2||Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA)|
|Product||mass spectrometry (MS)|
|Person||Tanaka, Koichi (Shimadzu 200210 Researcher Shimadzu Corp Kyoto + Nobel Laureate Chemistry 2002)|
Shimadzu Corporation (Kyoto, Japan), a world leader in the development of technology solutions, today announced collaboration between its Mass Spectrometry Research Laboratory (Kyoto, Japan), Shimadzu Scientific Instruments (Columbia, MD) and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA). The collaboration will focus on the development of new analytical platforms for the detection and analysis of cancer-related proteins and peptides.
Most current collaborations in the field of proteomics and biomarkers have simply applied existing instrumentation and technology in an attempt to identify biochemical features that are indicative of disease presence or progression. Most of these collaborations have been hampered by the biological complexity of the clinical samples and the fundamental limitations of the existing sample preparation and spectrometry tools. The goal of the Shimadzu / Hutchinson Center collaboration is to develop, enhance and apply innovative multidimensional analytical platforms to overcome both the sample complexity issues and the technology limitations.
In order to achieve this, Shimadzu researchers, including Koichi Tanaka, the 2002 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, will work in tandem with researchers at the Hutchinson Center on the development and application of next-generation analytical tools and mass spectrometry platforms. According to Tanaka, "The collaboration with FHCRC will pave the way for realizing the potential for completely new mass spectrometry platforms." Sam Hanash, MD, PhD, who leads the collaborative effort with Shimadzu at FHCRC, emphasized the need for integrated platforms and the importance of the collaboration with Shimadzu to address the complexity and vast dynamic range of protein abundance in biospecimens and the potential to uncover unique protein structural modifications associated with cancer and other diseases.
New technology platforms will ultimately be developed by Shimadzu. Other terms of the collaboration were not disclosed.
At the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists and humanitarians work together to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other diseases. Hutchinson Center researchers, including three Nobel laureates, bring a relentless pursuit and passion for health, knowledge and hope to their work and to the world. For more information, please visit www.fhcrc.org.
Shimadzu Corporation develops and manufactures analytical and monitoring equipment for science laboratories worldwide. Its products include imaging systems for medical diagnosis such as ultrasound systems and mobile X-ray systems, as well as spectrophotometers and chromatography systems for the life science sector. Founded in 1975, Shimadzu Scientific Instruments (SSI) is the North American arm of the analytical instruments manufacturer. For more information about Shimadzu's extensive line of laboratory offerings, please visit www.shimadzu.com.
Note: "Safe Harbor" Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.
Some of the statements in this release constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements other than those of historical facts included herein, including those related to the company's financial outlook, goals, business strategy, projected plans and objectives of management for future operations, new order trends and liquidity are forward-looking statements.
Such "forward-looking statements" involve unknown risks and uncertainties that may cause the actual results, performance or achievements of the company to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements, expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors such as general economic and business conditions, availability of required capital for Shimadzu Corporation and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and its affiliates, continued government support and funding for key space and defense programs, the financial condition of major customers, product performance, market acceptance of products, services and technologies, consumer demand, and dependence upon long-term contracts with commercial and government customers may impact the company's revenues, expenses, profit and cash flow from period to period. These factors and others related to the company's business are described in further detail in the company's SEC filings, including its Form 10-K, as amended, for the year ended December 31, 2007. Shimadzu assumes no obligation to update any such forward-looking information.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Shimadzu (Group)
-  Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc.. (10/11/16). "Press Release: Shimadzu’s New Triple Quadrupole GCMS Achieves World’s Highest Sensitivity Down to Femtogram Level"....
-  Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc.. (9/6/16). "Press Release: Shimadzu’s New Integrated HPLC BioEthanol Analyzer Offers Round-the-Clock QC Testing at Bioethanol Production Plants"....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (9/6/16). "Press Release: Labsystems Diagnostics & Shimadzu Corporation in a Strategic Alliance for Newborn Screening". Kyoto....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (9/5/16). "Press Release: Enhanced Functionality for Supporting HPLC Users Achieves Fast and Reliable Measurements. Release of Nine Models in Three New Analytical Balance Series"....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (9/1/16). "Press Release: Acquires Images 5 Times Faster Than Existing Model. SPM-9700HT Scanning Probe Microscope Released"....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (8/30/16). "Press Release: Fast, High-Sensitivity Screening Analysis for Controlled Components, in Support of Food Safety. Shimadzu i-Series Food Safety Analyzer"....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (8/26/16). "Press Release: Shimadzu’s New GCMS-TQ8050 Triple Quadrupole Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer Offers the World's Highest Sensitivity and Supports Ultra-Trace Analysis"....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (8/26/16). "Press Release: Shimadzu's Quick-DB GC/MS/MS Forensic Toxicological Database Enables Rapid Screening for Substances that Cause Drug Poisoning"....
-  Shimadzu Corporation. (8/24/16). "Press Release: Launch of the 7th Phase for Environmental Monitoring Project with the United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)". Kyoto....
-  Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc.. (8/24/16). "Press Release: New Automated Infrared Microscope Provides a Macro View on Micro Analysis"....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]