Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/4/07). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Announces the Availability of three Contamination Testing Methods to Detect Banned Substances in Imported Seafood". San José, CA.
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||FDA (US Food and Drug Administration)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product||TSQ Quantum™ mass spectrometer (product series)|
|Product 2||food analysis (food testing)|
|Person||Herrema, Greg (Thermo Fisher 200703 President Scientific Instruments)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that the company has developed three food testing methods in response to recent concerns over contamination of imported seafood. On June 28, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned the import of certain fish species from China because of possible contamination with drugs and unsafe food additives - including nitrofuran, malachite green and chloramphenicol - which are prohibited in food products for human consumption. The ban has stimulated significant interest in the development of analytical methods for detecting trace levels of these substances in food. Thermo Fisher has developed three methods utilizing the advanced analytical technology of the Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum™ family of triple quadrupole mass spectrometers with Highly Selective Reaction Monitoring (H-SRM), enabling the trace-level analysis of complex samples such as animal tissue. The methods are available to download on www.thermo.com/appnotes.
"These food testing methods from Thermo Fisher will help public health laboratories and food manufacturers protect the safety of our nation's food supply," said Greg Herrema, President, Scientific Instruments, Thermo Fisher Scientific. "The sensitivity and reliability that is achievable with Thermo Scientific instrumentation is important in detecting trace levels of the contaminants of concern to the FDA."
Thermo Fisher has developed a sensitive and reliable liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) method using H-SRM and the Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum Discovery MAX triple quadrupole mass spectrometer for the detection of nitrofuran metabolites, which are veterinary antibiotics banned in many countries because of health concerns for humans. The method demonstrates a limit of quantitation (LOQ) as low as <0.05 µg/kg in fortified crawfish meat for all four nitrofuran metabolites. This LOQ represents twenty-fold better than the Minimum Required Performance Limit (MRPL) established by the European Union (EU) in 2003 (Application Note 361).
A triphenylmethane dye used as a fungicide in aquaculture, malachite green and its metabolite leucomalachite green have demonstrated putative carcinogenic activity and have been banned by both the FDA and the EU. Thermo Fisher's LC-MS/MS method detected both contaminants in roasted eel meat using the TSQ Quantum Discovery MAX triple quadrupole mass spectrometer. The method showed excellent linearity (0.05 to 8.0 µg/kg), accuracy (90-106% recovery) and reproducibility (4-11% RSD), far exceeding the EU's requirement of MRPL of 2 µg/kg for malachite green and leucomalachite green. Additionally, H-SRM was shown to reduce the chemical noise effectively in a complicated sample matrix, further improving the method sensitivity and specificity (Application Note 385).
Government agencies around the world have prohibited the use of chloramphenicol for the treatment of animals producing food products for human consumption because the antibiotic can potentially cause a lethal condition called aplastic anemia in humans. Thermo Fisher has developed an LC-MS/MS method for chloramphenicol on the Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum Discovery that yields subpicogram limits of quantitation, which translates to sub-parts-per-billion sample concentrations as well as accuracy and precision values well within the guidelines of the U.S. government for analytical method development and validation (Application Note 337).
To download these application notes, please visit: www.thermo.com/appnotes. Alternatively, for more information about Thermo Scientific LC-MS/MS solutions, please call +1 800-532-4752, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thermo.com/ms.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With an annual revenue rate of more than $9 billion, we employ 30,000 people and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]