Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/19/08). "Press Release: Adressing Pharmaceutical Contamination in Drinking Water. Thermo Fisher Scientific Offers Analytical Tools to Address Pharmaceutical Contamination in U.S. Drinking Water Sources". San José, CA.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Product||TSQ Quantum™ mass spectrometer (product series)|
|Product 2||water analysis|
|Person||Ghosh, Dipankar (Thermo Fisher 201506 Director Marketing Life Science MS)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today responded to national concerns surrounding the discovery of pharmaceutical compounds in U.S. drinking water by publicizing its mass spectrometry water monitoring technology currently in use in Canada and Europe. The Associated Press (AP) recently reported that a variety of prescription and over-the-counter drugs have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans. The Thermo Scientific mass spectrometry systems rapidly identify and quantify these compounds, enabling municipalities to monitor the safety of their water supplies.
Recently the University of Montreal worked with Environment Canada to identify and quantify pharmaceutical residues present in the city's waste and drinking water. To conduct this research, the University used a Thermo Scientific EQuan™ Environmental Quantitation system incorporating the TSQ Quantum™ mass spectrometer. The system detected six common anti-infectives in the water, including Azithromycin, a potent antibiotic used to treat certain bacterial infections in the ear, throat or sinuses. The results from this study were published by the Journal of Environmental Monitoring in March 2007 (J. Environ. Monit., 2007, 9, 307-313).
"Continuous exposure of young children to these low levels of antibiotics is of great concern to me as a chemist and a parent," says Dipankar Ghosh. Ph.D., Strategic Marketing Manager, Environment & Food Safety, at Thermo Fisher Scientific. "The quantities are minute - parts per trillion - the equivalent of one drop in twenty Olympic-sized swimming pools. However, the effect of continuous exposure over time is unknown."
Non-metabolized antibiotics excreted by humans can enter the sewage system in low concentrations. These chemicals can pass untreated simply because municipal plants are not engineered to identify or remove them, thereby releasing them into the environment where they may eventually be ingested through drinking water.
Thermo Scientific mass spectrometry solutions are designed for reliable and accurate analysis of water samples, specifically trace levels of pharmaceuticals, hormones, antibiotics, pesticides and veterinary products. During the course of a five-month inquiry, the AP investigation discovered these types of drugs had been detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas in the United States.
For more information on the Thermo Scientific mass spectrometer solutions for analyzing drinking water, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call +1 800-532-4752 or visit www.thermo.com/equan.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual revenues of $10 billion, we have more than 30,000 employees and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]