Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (4/13/10). "Press Release: Perform Non-targeted and Accurate Screening, Detection and Separation of 510 Pesticides in Just 12 Minutes. Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Exactive LC/MS Platform Accurately and Simultaneously Detects
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., San Jose|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Product||Exactive™ LC/MS system|
|Product 2||food analysis (food testing)|
|Person||Chang, James (Thermo Fisher 201004 Food Safety Specialist)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today introduced an application note demonstrating how the Thermo Scientific Exactive LC/MS system, powered by Orbitrap technology, can be used to perform non-targeted and accurate screening, detection and separation of 510 pesticides at low ppb levels in just 12 minutes. The application note, entitled "Non-Targeted Screening and Accurate Mass Confirmation of 510 Pesticides on the High Resolution Exactive Orbitrap™ LC/MS," is available for download at www.thermo.com/foodsafety.
Increasing food safety concerns and the growing agricultural trade has resulted in stringent pesticide regulations being enforced globally. This is especially true in the EU and Japan, where regulations for pesticides are now among the strictest, with maximum residue levels (MRLs) allowed in food products set at 0.1 mg/kg (10 ppb) for most compounds. To comply with stricter food safety standards such as these, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommended the revocation or modification of thousands of uses of pesticides following a 2007 review of 9,721 pesticide tolerances. Overall, tighter regulations require that companies worldwide require sensitive, fast and cost-effective instrumentation for high-throughput screening of multi-class pesticides in food.
Leveraging the proven mass analyzer technology of the Thermo Scientific Orbitrap platform, the Exactive™ mass spectrometer delivers ultra high resolution and accurate mass data to enable the rigorous and fast characterization of analytes in complex matrices with the advantage of stable and reproducible accurate mass. The new application note details how the Exactive with the Thermo Scientific Accela U-HPLC system can be used to perform non-targeted and accurate screening, detection and separation of 510 pesticides at low ppb levels in just 12 minutes, increasing sample throughput.
To evaluate the applicability of this technique to complex food samples, scientists examined pesticides extracted from a spiked spinach matrix that represented a broad spectrum of chemical classes. Experimental results showed that the Accela™ U-HPLC system improved chromatographic resolution, speed and sensitivity. The scientists achieved even faster, higher-throughput analysis of challenging samples when they coupled Accela with an Exactive mass spectrometer. The high-resolution provided by the Exactive LC/MS platform (up to 100,000 FWHM) facilitates the accurate mass confirmation of all compounds, including isobaric compounds in complex samples.
"Exactive continues to push the limits of performance for a benchtop mass spectrometer," noted James Chang, food safety specialist with Thermo Fisher. "For demanding, high-throughput applications, Exactive is an ideal tool for rapid screening, quantitation and accurate mass confirmation."
The application note also demonstrates that the Exactive with Accela offers excellent linearity in detector response over the range of 1-250 ppb, with correlation coefficients for the majority of pesticides greater than 0.99. Limits of quantification (LOQs) ranged from 1 - 50 ppb, and for 499 pesticides LOQs were at or below the MRL of 10 ppb imposed by EU and Japanese regulations. The Exactive and Accela U-HPLC system is also robust, easy to operate and cost-efficient, making it ideal for routine screening and monitoring of targeted and non-targeted pesticides in regulatory laboratories worldwide.
The comprehensive Thermo Scientific food safety offering includes a wide range of sample collection, sample preparation, instrumentation and data management products focused on the needs of food safety. In addition, a broad portfolio of chemicals, consumables, equipment and supply chain services are available through Fisher Scientific. From research to testing and monitoring, Thermo Fisher provides methods-based consulting and applications support in addition to a comprehensive line of products. Thermo Scientific solutions enable fast and accurate testing of potentially harmful contaminants in food, including chemical residues, fungicides, natural toxins, pathogens, pesticides, trace elements and veterinary drugs.
For the latest information about Thermo Scientific solutions and the wide range of applications for food safety, please call 800-532-4752, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thermo.com/foodsafety
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of more than $10 billion, we have approximately 35,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]