Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (7/27/16). "Press Release: New AOAC-RI PTM Certification for STEC Detection Workflow. Provides Beef Producers with a Rapid but Simple Solution to Screen for STEC". Basingstoke.
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Person||Carmack, Tim (Thermo Fisher 201607 Group Product Director Food Safety, Microbiology)|
Real-Time PCR workflow gains AOAC-RI approval for rapid and simultaneous detection of E.coli O157:H7 and the Big Six Shiga toxigenic E. coli in raw beef samples
Beef producers can simultaneously and accurately screen for Escherichia coli O157:H7 and the Big Six Shiga toxigenic E. coli (STEC) in 375g raw beef samples, enabling rapid product release.
Thermo Fisher Scientific, a market leader in culture media, microbiology, molecular and mass spectrometry systems, has been awarded AOAC-RI Performance Tested Methods SM certification for its Applied Biosystems RapidFinder STEC Detection Workflow. Validated for use on the Applied Biosystems 7500 Fast System, the workflow is a two-stage real-time PCR method, designed to screen for and confirm E. coli O157:H7 and the Big 6 serogroups of non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, defined by the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) as adulterants in the American beef industry (serogroups O26, O45, O103, O111, O121 & O145).
“For beef producers, rapid and accurate results when screening products for STEC and other pathogens can bring substantial economic benefits. In addition, unnecessary product diversions and production shutdowns can be avoided, and risk to brand and reputation is minimized,” said Tim Carmack, group product director food safety, microbiology, Thermo Fisher Scientific. “While reference methods are accurate and sensitive, they take a minimum of two days to clear negative samples, and require a number of handling steps. Where alternative methods often require complex sample preparation steps or specialized enrichment media to achieve faster time to results, the RapidFinder STEC Detection Workflow screening test results are available in as few as 12 hours with a simplified workflow.”
The RapidFinder STEC Detection Workflow enables:
> Confidence in results — optimized workflow, co-developed with USDA-ARS, showed equivalent performance to the USDA-MLG reference method in AOAC-RI validation studies
> Simplified workflow — Semi-automated sample preparation option and simultaneous detection of E. coli O157:H7 and the Big 6 non-O157:H7 STEC in 375g raw ground beef and beef trim samples
> Rapid product release — same-day clearance of STEC-negative samples in as few as 12 hours and confirmation of presumptive positives with just one additional 40 minute PCR test
> Minimized costs, space requirements and handling — single enrichment step in non-proprietary enrichment broth
In addition to the RapidFinder STEC Detection Workflow, Thermo Fisher Scientific provides real-time PCR-based workflow solutions and other methods to test for a broad range of food safety and quality indicators including foodborne viruses, meat species identification and GMO markers, as well as an expanding range of custom developed assays. The Applied Biosystems 7500 Fast Real-Time PCR System provides expansive molecular capability and streamlined testing processes which may reduce overall costs.
Find out more by visiting www.thermofisher.com/foodmicrosolutions.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and more than 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Nicola Scott, +44 (0)1256 694318
Record changed: 2016-08-08
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/6/17). "Press Release: New Triple Quadrupole ICP-MS Combines Power and Simplicity". Chicago, IL....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (3/6/17). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Acquires Core Informatics, Provider of Leading Cloud-Based Scientific Data Platforms". Waltham, MA & Branford, CT....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (2/28/17). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Elects New Director to Board". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (2/28/17). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Declares Quarterly Dividend". Waltham, MA....
-  908 Devices, Inc.. (2/16/17). "Press Release: 908 Devices Optimizes High-quality Mass Spec Analysis Through Partnership Agreement with Thermo Fisher Scientific". Boston, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (2/14/17). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of Finesse Solutions, Inc.". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (2/6/17). "Press Release: New Comprehensive LC-MS Workflow Provides Researchers with Higher Quality Data for Clinical Research Samples. Part of Collaboration between Thermo Fisher Scientific and Amerispec Diagnostics". Duba...
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/31/17). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/20/17). "Press Release: New Standard Test Method to Assess Water Safety. Thermo Fisher Scientific and the ASTM Develop Ion Chromatography-based Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Nitrogen and Phosphorous Levels...
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]