Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/10/12). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Couples Chromatography and Mass Spec Systems to Develop Method for Detecting Arsenic in Apple Juice". Bremen.
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific (Bremen) GmbH|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||Dionex Corporation|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Product||mass spectrometry solution/method|
|Product 2||XSERIES 2 quadrupole ICP-MS analyzer|
|Person||Plohetski, John W. (Danaher 201511 Global VP Separations at Sciex before Thermo Fisher)|
Instrument Combination and New Method Enable Food Safety Labs to Distinguish Between Organic and Inorganic Arsenic with High Sensitivity
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that its Dionex ICS-5000 reagent-free ion chromatography system can be coupled with the Thermo Scientific XSERIES 2 ICP-Q-MS to create a proven IC-ICP-MS method for detecting trace elements, including levels of organic and inorganic arsenic in apple juice. A Consumer Reports investigation recently revealed elevated levels of arsenic in juice samples.
Thermo Fisher's highly sensitive and selective equipment can distinguish between both inorganic and organic types of arsenic. The distinction is important, as inorganic forms of arsenic are highly toxic whereas organic forms are not. Arsenic is a naturally-occurring element that is sometimes found in drinking water and fruit juices, entering during agricultural and industrial processes. Because typical levels of total arsenic found in apple juice are lower than the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) drinking water maximum contaminant level, apple juice is generally considered safe and is currently not regulated.
"Thermo Fisher has developed a highly sensitive and specific method for analyzing arsenic levels in apple juice," said John W. Plohetski, vice president and general manager, ion chromatography/sample preparation business unit at Thermo Fisher. "The ability to distinguish between organic and inorganic forms of arsenic is critical, and our equipment is sensitive enough to capture that data accurately and reliably."
To demonstrate the capabilities of the combined Dionex ICS-5000 and Thermo Scientific XSERIES 2, Thermo Fisher tested four apple juice brands purchased from a local supermarket. Using the Dionex IC system for chromatographic separations and the XSERIES 2 mass spectrometer for identification, researchers developed a highly sensitive, routine IC-ICP-MS method for determining trace metal species, including arsenic. The method can be used in the analysis of different juices after a simple 10-fold dilution.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of nearly $11 billion, we have approximately 37,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Media Contact Information:
Name: Deepali Mohindra
Phone: (408) 481-4272
Secondary Contact Information:
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]